Running vs. Xtrain

ctvanram

Hi Cathe!

I'm normally an avid runner -- totally addicted (I've run 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon). I manage to injure myself, though, and I know it's due to not having enough strength training.

So I'm now about 5 weeks into the Xtrain program, but of course, I'm a creature of habit and I'm worried about two things...
1. am I burning as many calories as running? I normally run about a 9 min mile 4 times a week for 45 min
2. am I going to get out of "running shape"?

Also, on the workout manager, I'm not sure what I should put for my activity level since I work out 6 days a week.

Thanks for your help and your inspiring workouts!

No, Xtrain will not burn as many calories as a running session. However, weight training will help your running by improving leg and glute muscle endurance, as well as strengthening the muscles around the knee and the hamstrings to help prevent injury.

There's a great book out there on training for marathons, etc with 3 runs per week. Check it out. 3 runs really is enough. One is along run, another a fartlek and the third is a temp run. Between these three, you've got it covered, in addition to calorie burn. So, it leaves you time to cross train and help prevent injury also.

3 days running and 2/3 days Xtrain or other weight training type activity is a win-win.

Clare

Nothing beats a running workout....I'm an avid runner, just not a good one....today is the first day I've gotten to run in about a week....I'm feeling the burn.

Can someone clarify? Running burns more calories than.....? I thought Hiit would burn at least the same if not more, no? I haven't been getting on the treadmill lately and admit to an extra pound or 2. What about tabata training or serious metabolic? Just wondering.

Running for me makes me stronger.....when on a regular running program, I'm stronger in my other workouts...weights, step, etc.... Cathe's workouts are easier for me(not easy)...I don't know or care about calorie burn.

Can someone clarify? Running burns more calories than.....? I thought Hiit would burn at least the same if not more, no? I haven't been getting on the treadmill lately and admit to an extra pound or 2. What about tabata training or serious metabolic? Just wondering.

Running

When you put on your HR monitor run for 30 minutes you burn more than a 30 minutes Hiit. What most people forget is Hiit, metabolic, tabata or any other form of interval workout exerciser get what is called afterburn. of course this aftermath calories expenditure is not included in the HR monitor but it does happen. This is a fact. It is not a trend waiting to fade. Intervals have been around for decades.
Afterburn mean the exerciser still burn calories 24 hours whilst in a process of recovery after completing the workout. Running does *not* offer the same benefit.

Cathe Friedrich - What Is HiiT?
Cathe Friedrich - The Science Behind My New AfterBurn Video and Metabolic Training

As to running making exerciser strong. It is very common that most of professional runners get themselves into heavy resistance training to strengthen the glutes muscles aiming to enhance the performance.

HTH,

Regardless of when you burn the calories, during the session or due to the afterburn effect, look at the total calories you can expect to burn for the activity and the length of time you perform it.

Running uses up approximately 100 calories per mile, as does power walking. (The only difference between these two being the time it takes to complete the mile. ) Running uses more calories than any other cardio activity. 7 mile run = 700 calories, approx 45 mins - 1 hour.

Excellent in my book, plus it gets you out and about, makes you feel fabulous, gets you some "me" or "thinking time," works the legs and glutes muscles and entire core.

Clare

This is interesting! I DO burn a bunch of calories while on the treadmill. I tend to do my own form of Hiit. Making myself go uphill, fast, faster, recover etc. I've noticed that it's often a higher calorie burn than some of Cathes tough wkouts and never really believed it before. I figured it was a faulty monitor on the treadmill. So, I suppose I need to get back on the treadmill huh?

Whenever I need to take off a couple pounds, running does it everytime for me and whether I do it outside or on my treadmill makes no difference.

This is interesting! I DO burn a bunch of calories while on the treadmill. I tend to do my own form of Hiit. Making myself go uphill, fast, faster, recover etc. I've noticed that it's often a higher calorie burn than some of Cathes tough wkouts and never really believed it before. I figured it was a faulty monitor on the treadmill. So, I suppose I need to get back on the treadmill huh?

Yes! I guess interval running was one of the original forms of HiiT - before the phrase was coined! Something doesn't need to come with a lable saying HiiT for it to have an afterburn effect ;)
I sometimes go for an 'interval run' over rough ground - all the ancillary muscles are firing to keep me steady, and I can pick my speed to achieve whatever HR I want. (OK, so sometimes I have to slow to a walk :eek: )

Justine

if treadmill interval is your preference then go for it. I personally do not heavily rely on HR monitor. i agree that data shown on machines are not always 100% accurate. That being said there is a margin error.

For example when I do INTENSITY my HR show about 900 kcal for a hour segment. Although there is a margin error, it's still a significant amount of calories burnt!;):cool: comparable to running outdoor!! I am not a avid runner but could be a good one if I want. It's just not my cup of tea.

Also for the purpose of what I want to achieve i would not make it my staple routine. Running more than 3 times per week is not recommended and numerous studies have proven it caused injuries in long term.I do enjoy the fresh air and the pleasant clearing mind time while running though:):)

Each individual get from "label interval" whatever she/he put into it. As long as it meet a clearly defined and understood goal. Deliberate Catabolism muscle breakdown as a response of a fear of "thighs bulking up" which is a myth BTW, is a complete yike for moi;):eek::eek:

Cathe Friedrich - Weightlifting Myths Debunked

One of the comment from article above:

Cathy says:
August 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

"I heard another one from someone in my class. She said she didn’t want to add muscle because as she gets into old age (and can’t maintain the weight she lifts), she is afraid her muscle will turn to flab. Good information, thanks!"

Honestly!!!!! Get informed not misinformed!!!

Last edited:
Hi Cathe!

I'm normally an avid runner -- totally addicted (I've run 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon). I manage to injure myself, though, and I know it's due to not having enough strength training.

So I'm now about 5 weeks into the Xtrain program, but of course, I'm a creature of habit and I'm worried about two things...
1. am I burning as many calories as running? I normally run about a 9 min mile 4 times a week for 45 min
2. am I going to get out of "running shape"?

Also, on the workout manager, I'm not sure what I should put for my activity level since I work out 6 days a week.

Thanks for your help and your inspiring workouts!

1. You burn more calories working out intervals with afterburn effect. It's up to you to venture into interval running. which is an option. Should you go for interval, you will need to do it properly and give it your all with no cheat.;):p. Gaining strength, gaining more muscle will increase your metabolism. More muscular (i do not mean getting muscular as incredible hulk:D) you get more calories are burnt while resting.
2. You are not going to get out of shape if you get into a balanced cross training enjoying your run up to 3xtimes per week.

Even if you opt for Hiit 2xtimes per week short burst, giving your all you will not get out of shape in your running activity. Working anaerobically through Hiit consistently 2x per week actually improve the cardiovascular capacity.

It is all about keeping a balance.

All the best in your strength training and enjoy your run;):)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.