Running then getting headaches

karenvictoria

Cathlete
I have been running for a few years and every time I get ready to train for anything I seem to get a headaches 4 or so hours after my run. I have done a handful of 5k's and a 10 miler in the past. If I run 2-4 miles I never get a headache but speed intervals or long runs I get headaches. I know it's hot but I made sure I drake enough water yesterday. I don't get it. I can do any other cardio ( cathe, eliptical or light running and nothing). I'm training for a half marathon and today I ran speed intervals. I drank a mix of water and diluted gatorade during the run and then after had a smoothie. Thought I was doing good. Then around 12:30 about 4 hours later I have a slight headache. Should I have had a smoothie and then breakfast an hour after that as well or did I do something wrong by having the smoothie and then waiting until 12:30 for lunch. I know it's somthing as far as lack of nutriotion and running. I trained for a 10 miler about two years ago and I had the same problem about 6 weeks in the beginning of training and then never again did I have them during the last weeks of traning or the race itself. Any help would greatly be apprecitaed. I want to fix this now since this is my first week of training and before my long run this weekend.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

I'm no expert by any means...However with that said, I have heard of exhertion headaches and maybe that is what you are experiencing??? When I first started lifting weights especially upper body, I would get an awful headache approximately an hour later. I researched it online (my favorite thing to do) :) and read about proper breathing when lifting. I always try to incorperate the proper breathing now and have not had one since. Maybe you could research that and see if it sounds similiar to what you are experiencing. Hope that helps!

Jen

Along those lines, what about it possibly being a tension headache. I have experienced back and arm pain from being "tense" while running and many times remind myself to relax my arms while running.

Just another thought.

I have to be careful with running and high impact aerobics. I have the same thing. ( I am a migrane sufferer) I can't say why this happens but I went to my GP and put me on preventative headache tabs. Nowadays I dont really run and I don't get headaches!

Heres a thought,(it has just come to me) maybe I was landing too heavily on my feet on the treadmill? And the jarring of that caused headaches?? Any thoughts on that theory?

Andrea

If there ever was a heavy walker/runner it is me. I even walk heavy around the house that my family know where I am if they are in the basement. Those are some good points. I need to get fitted for new shoes so hopefully they have extra heel support. Normally they give me a pair because I overpronate so maybe I should ask them about the fact that I walk heavy as well.
karen

Karen,

The first thing that came to mind as a possible issue was hydration. Are you drinking enough before, during, and after? What's your caffeine intake? Maybe try a different recovery beverage. Or perhaps you need to eat a little something (e.g. banana or yogurt) before your run? I've heard some people are prone to the exertion headaches which were mentioned. I would say it's worth talking to your doc about it since it's happened more than once.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/SnowBunny_tns-1.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

Hi-

Wow, I could have written this exact post!!!

When I was training for a 1/2 last year, I would often get headaches too when doing long runs or intervals. I am a migraine suffererer and sure enough one pop up about an hour after the run was done.

I pinpointed mine down to drinking too much coffee and not enough water before the run. Normally, I have one big cup of java before a run in the AM and I'm fine. On the days I have more than that and run long or really hard, I will get a big ol' headache.

If you drink caffeinated coffee, try playing around w/ your amounts and see if that makes a difference.

Lastly, one more thought... do you run outside when its sunny? If so, do you wear sunglasses? Sometimes running in bright sun w/ no shades will set off a headache for me too.

Take care, Lynn M.

I would guess either dehydration or lack of oxygen (especially since you are doing anaerobic intervals)

Good luck

Thanks so much eveyone. I do think it is lack of oxygen and too much caffeine before the long and interval runs. Todays inverals were 5 miles in heat and the day before even though I had loads of water I also drank 2 16oz zero cokes. I know now I will do all I can to cut back. Karen
karen

It may be the Coke Zero. I had that stuff 2x, although it was tasty, I ended up with a tremendous headache both times. No more of that for me. I think it's the sweetener. Also, it may be the impact, if you are a heavy footed walker/runner. I used to get headached after high impact, but not anymore, I think I have adjusted to it. The only one I still can't do is MIC, hurts my knees, shoulders, and head!

Nan

Have the coffee after the run with an advil or ibuprofen, the caffeine will open the arteries, veins and capillaries to allow better blood flow and the ibuprofen will curb any swelling that might be choking blood flow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.