Running question--nutrition for long runs

elsie3

Cathlete
Does anyone make their own electrolyte drink for long runs? I could use some ideas. I don't like the idea of high-fructose corn syrup in Powerade. My long runs are almost 3 hours, so I need something to keep me going. Liquid nutrition works best for me. I've tried dried fruits, but they didn't sit too well on the long runs.

Ideas?

Thanks guys,

Have you tried the Nuun tablets? You drop them into water to get the minerals you need. Then you could add your own agave or other sugar for the carbs if you need them.

Coconut water is also very good for electrolytes and some carbs. Personally I don't like the taste of it, but I probably need to experiment with some brands.

I agree with Cindi1 on the coconut water. I also like plain tap water ( huge bottle ) with a tablespoon full of chia seed and lemon. ( or smaller bottle of water with a tsp of chia seeds.) Running goodess in a bottle. Chia seeds are awesome to make your own gels with too.

I'll have to get back to you after I do my research, but a friend of mine just told me the other day about a hydration fluid/drink she makes herself. It has some honey and a few other SIMPLE ingredients. I'll see if I can find it later today (I'm headed out the door 5 minutes AGO or else I'd do it now).

Does anyone make their own electrolyte drink for long runs? I could use some ideas. I don't like the idea of high-fructose corn syrup in Powerade. My long runs are almost 3 hours, so I need something to keep me going. Liquid nutrition works best for me. I've tried dried fruits, but they didn't sit too well on the long runs.

Ideas?

Thanks guys,

I have always used those gel packs and regular water. It worked well for me, but let us know if you come across any good alternatives!!

I'll have to get back to you after I do my research, but a friend of mine just told me the other day about a hydration fluid/drink she makes herself. It has some honey and a few other SIMPLE ingredients. I'll see if I can find it later today (I'm headed out the door 5 minutes AGO or else I'd do it now).

I'd love it--when you have the time.

Thanks, everyone, for your great suggestions. This is exactly the information I was hoping for.

Last edited:
Nuun tablets or how about watered down oj? If you partially freeze it the juice stays cold. You can add some potassium/magnesium. I don't know if that would be enough of a boost to power you through your runs.

For 3 hour long runs, you are going to need a heck of a lot more calories than you'll get with the Nuun, that's for sure! Nuun can be great for the electrolyte side of things - definitely look into that to see if it works for you. Typically, it's the premixed sports drinks that have HFCS. If you get a powdered drink mix you'll eliminate that problem. Generally, what this means is you need to go to a running, camping or cycling store (or shop online at a sports store). Not Target. :)

I like CarboPro - it's a tasteless powder source of readily available carbs that you mix into whatever you happen to like for your hydration, and it's great for people who don't do well with gels or solid calories. I use Gu20 for electrolytes, and mix in the amount of CarboPro per bottle that I know I need. For endurance training over 1 hour, a general rule of thumb is to consume 300 cals / hour. You'll have to fiddle with that to see what your ideal number is - but it's a good starting point.

Brendan Brazier has some recipes for homemade energy gels, recovery drinks, etc. in his books (he's a triathlete and ultramarathoner).

Brendan also has a product called Vega Sport that can be used prior to and during prolonged exercise.

http://myvega.com/products/vega-sport-performance-optimizer/features-benefits

"Providing sustaining energy, enhanced mental focus and increased aerobic and anaerobic capacity, Vega Sport Performance Optimizer beverage also replenishes electrolytes and reduces inflammation, joint and muscle pain to assist recovery. Sporting a synergistic array of organic plant-based ingredients and free of common allergens such as gluten, dairy and soy, Vega Sport will help take you to the next level, safely and naturally."

Brendan also has a product called Vega Sport that can be used prior to and during prolonged exercise.

http://myvega.com/products/vega-sport-performance-optimizer/features-benefits

"Providing sustaining energy, enhanced mental focus and increased aerobic and anaerobic capacity, Vega Sport Performance Optimizer beverage also replenishes electrolytes and reduces inflammation, joint and muscle pain to assist recovery. Sporting a synergistic array of organic plant-based ingredients and free of common allergens such as gluten, dairy and soy, Vega Sport will help take you to the next level, safely and naturally."
I often use this in my pre-workout smoothie (though the last two 5Ks I've done, I drank my smoothie first thing in the morning--to 'get things going' before I left the house;), then drank the Performance Optimizer on the drive to the event.

Brendan Brazier has some recipes for homemade energy gels, recovery drinks, etc. in his books (he's a triathlete and ultramarathoner).

"Brendan also has a product called Vega Sport that can be used prior to and during prolonged exercise.

http://myvega.com/products/vega-spor...tures-benefits"

I'm checking out this product--looks great. I also have Brendan's book on hold at the library. I appreciate the suggestions, as I hadn't heard of this individual. I'm sure the book will help me a lot.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.