Running obstacle (AGAIN with the running!!)

Run Like a Girl (and be proud doin' it)

Hi Stephanie,

I, too, used to suffer from the same anxieties. I hated to run on the street. I hated to run by people who were working (gardeners, handymen, utility workers, etc). Believe it or not, I got over my fear by saying "hello" on the way by. Surprisingly, I felt so empowered by that simple action.

Another important step forward for me was being actively involved with a group that was training for a common cause. I joined Team in Training, but there are many others out there as well. The other participants came in all shapes, sizes, age groups...but we all had one common goal - finishing the event. Through this process, I learned that very few people can run the entire distance in a 'race'; most people have to walk. The key to success is managing the balance between running and walking. Keep in mind that the only person you are 'racing' against is yourself, trying to achieve that PR!

Last month, I ran my first full marathon, and I have already signed up for my second one, to be run in four months. Am I the fastest? No, but I probably am the most tenacious! I am mentoring for a group of new runners and loving every minute of it. I am proud that I have turned EXERCISE (which used to be a four letter word) into FUN and something that I actually look forward to!

PS - I've never seen a picture of me running that I actually like but I don't care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.