running advice

Dutchie42

Cathlete
I used to run quite a bit until about 15 years ago. I stopped because I injured my knee in a car accident. My knee still bothers me sometimes but I would like to take up running again to crosstrain with Cathe. As doing Cathe's step tapes doesn't cause any problems with my knee I thought it would be ok.

Anyone here has any advice on how to ease into running slowly so my knee will let me?

Dutchie

Hi, Dutchie!

Start by getting great shoes and taking them out on short runs to see how you feel. Even 1 or two miles will give you an idea of how your knee will do. Since you step, you might initialy replace one step work out with a run and gradually add more. The rule is to increase your mileage by no more thatn 10% each week. Maybe set a goal of 10 miles and build on that according to how your knee responds. Alternating walking and running is also a great way to ease in. I find impact on the step to be easier and less inclined to cause trouble with my feet than running so be very careful! Good luck. Let us know how you do! Running was my first love and it is an awesome workout!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/coollook.gif Bobbi

The last thing my body should be doing is running, but I keep dragging it out there anyway. If only there were swim/bike biathlons ...

Three things have really helped me progress and minimize injuries:

1. Walk breaks: I started out doing intervals of run 1 min./walk 1 min., then the next week 2/1, then 3/1, 4/1, etc. There's a great article on how to use walk breaks indefinitely at http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-61-0-236,FF.html?site=NewRunner.

2. Starting up 'organically': When I attempted yet again this fall to become a runner, I would just put on my HR monitor and run until my HR got to the bottom of the "danger" zone, and then I would walk until it came down again. This might only work, though, if running is fairly hard for you.

3. Think time, not mileage. I've gotten injured with the 10% rule because an extra 10% in mileage for me is considerably more steps and more impact. Gradually increasing time has worked better for me.

Just some humble thoughts on what's worked for me. Good luck!

Couch to 5K is a great program matter fact I've used it to get built up jogging, step, ski machine, EFX machine, Gazelle, and am now doing it on my rebounder I just got. It works, GO FOR IT!!! ;-)

The C25K checkin at coolrunning.com every week is an awesome motivator as well.

Edith

I like the Runner's world program. That's the one I used to get me started and it was very easy on the body for someone who has never run before. ;)

Thank you all so much. I will try the run/walk training. Makes a lot of sense. Though I can imagine the people I meet on my "run" who don't know about this will have some silly remarks to shout at me.

Thanks.

Dutchie

This won't be a popular opinion but I wouldn't run much on pavement. If you just have to run, I would do it in grass or dirt. I trail run on the same trails I mountain bike on and it is easier on the legs and I think the constant change of topography gives a better workout than just plodding along on a flat pavement.
Just my opinion.
Trevor

No, Trevor, you are very correct. When I was getting back into running about 3 months after a hip injury...7 years ago, I think... the doctor told me not to run on anything BUT grass. Not even dirt in the beginning. You have to be very careful about little clods of grass and dirt, as well as holes, but it makes a big difference in how much impact your body absorbs. Running on dirt trails gives a million advantages, too... changing scenery, change in topograhy, as you said, a little element of surprise as to what will come next, and it saves your body from so much impact. The disadvantage is isolation. Men don't need to worry about it so much, but, as a woman, it can be very scary. That is the ONLY reason I prefer pavement over trails and grass.

Good luck on your running program. I am desperately wanting to get back into running as well. It's been over a year :(

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.