Runners Knee Advice

katesmith2000

I need your help Runners Knee

Hi

I really could use your help.

I used Butts and Guts before I had my knee problem and I loved it.

But I was doing this program and it kept saying to up the weight .

My problem began when I lifted more weights than I should. Weighted squats.

I went to my doctor and he told me I had Runner's knee (Chondromalacia) and he said no to squats no to lunges no kneeling , no steps, no leg extentions.

He told me to modify , modify , modify.

I really want to lose weight and get toned I have more than 35 lbs to lose for my ideal weight.

Thanks

I just had - and corrected - this problem. It was my chiropractor that helped me do it.

Runner's knee is just a muscle imbalance that affects the alignment of the knee. In my case, I my patella was being pulled up, out and left of position because my IT band (outside of the thigh) was too strong. My adductors were not strong enough to pull the kneecap back.

My chiro told me to build up inner thigh strength. Very basic inner thigh lifts with both pointed toes and flexed feet (like in B&D floor work). Also, using a foam roller on the IT band to relax it helped.

I don't have the problem anymore. Took about 3 weeks to balance it back out.

Do you actually have chondromalacia patella (a roughening of the underside of the knee cap) or patella-femoral pain syndrome (caused by tracking problems due to muscle imbalances)?

There are a few good knee rehab/prehab) D's out, like "Strong Knees" (Gaiam) that may help.

I've been having knee problems the last few weeks too (Jumper's Knee).

Here are some things I CAN do without hurting my knee:

Butts & Guts: Warm-up, All the Floorwork (although some of it is in a kneeling position it is still okay), and Stretch

Pilates - Pilates - Pilates

Any Upper Body workout, of course

Gym Style Legs - again, floorwork

So far, I'm only doing walks for cardio, and not too many of those in this cold weather.

I'm afraid you just have to be patient for it to heal. Don't push yourself to do too much too soon or you risk making this last a lot longer.

Good luck!

The good news is that weighted lower body workouts are not required for weight loss at all. Weight loss seems to be a function of stress (relieve it with meditation or yoga) and a clean diet (more gooder than badder.) For me adding in more vegetables and fruits is more effective than telling myself that I can't eat something.

Are you allowed to do cycling/biking? How about pool workouts? How about walking? Is step allowed without risers?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.