Runners: high mileage and heavy lifting?

Calee

Cathlete
I run 4-5 days per week and am upping my mileage. How do you maintain long distances and not compromise the muscles you've worked so hard for? I'm enjoying getting back into longer runs but also don't want to lose the definition it's taken so long to achieve.

I have a running "on" season and an "off" season. I use my off season to build up more muscle with programs like STS and more focused weight training. When I'm in my on season, I can maintain the definition, but I focus more of my energy on running and I lean out a bit. I don't think I would want to have too much muscle on me as I'm marathon training -- whether it's fat or muscle, you have to carry every pound for 26.2 miles.

Maybe someone else has a better answer on how to do both -- I just go in cycles...

Charlene

As you miles increase make sure your getting adequete calories to sustain muscle. If you burning a significant amount through running, you need to make sure your calories are high enough to fuel your body so muscle isn't compromised for energy use. And continue to lift heavy. Hope this helps

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.