Runners Checkin Sunday 05-07

karenvictoria

Cathlete
Oh My godness our Sarah is on her way. We are pulling for you Sarah!!!!!!

Today I'm either doing 6 or 9 mile run. The family and I are off on another outdoor outing. I'll have to post what I actually did later. The weather is suppose to be nice around here for one more day. So, we are off in a couple of minutes to enjoy this weather. Good Luck to everyone who has a race today. Have a great workout. I'm still on a high from yesterday. Man I feel good.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good morning runners!!

Karen....you did so well!!!! What a touching story. See how easy you can get hooked seeing all those people run...:)...I bet one day, your girls will be right there with you!! Congrats! I am sure you are still on a wonderful high!! Have a great run with your family today!

Good Luck Sarah....:)

Elaine...Congrats, and way to improve from last year!! I think for placing it all seems to depend on who shows up. I have found the 40 and up age seems to be the toughest for me. If I run faster than all the 35-39 old 1st, 2nd and 3rd places I can still not place in the 40-44 division! And yes, I was slacking yesterdy...:)

Shelly...you did a GREAT time with that elevation. 4th is a good place as I have been there before...:)..Congrats!!

Kathy...I think you will like Bryan..:)...I do try and do Yoga once a week.

Wow Mattea!! all those push-ups, way to go!...and yes now you have upper body DOMS!! Thanks for the dandelion root tip...:)

Christine...I liked the Sir Priss story!! Good job cutting the time off your 5 miles!

Karin...I tried one TLT and ended up getting them all. BBBB is one of my fav's and I can already feel it in my glutes! You are not the tortoise...my trail runs are about a 12 min pace...:)

Gayle!! That is so cool about your MOM!! Hey, brag away...:)

Laura...that is great about your son's team winning the 2 games...:)

I am doing an 18 mile part pavement/part trail run today. Thought I'd be a bit more sore from BBBB, but not bad...:)

Have a great day...

Sarah is past the 19.3 mile mark and is pacing at about an 8:27!!!

Good morning!!!

Karen, I think I'll go for a run this afternoon too and I also don't know how far yet....

Carole, The funny thing about that 10K is that last year when I ran it in 54 and placing 2nd, I had a 1/2 the following weekend so I wasn't actually racing!! It felt weird last year placing at all and I was thinking that the competition wasn't very stiff!!! And you are allowed to slack occasionaly!!

WOW!!!!!! Under 4 hours!!!!!! WAY TO GO SARAH....I am so proud of her!!!!...:)....http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif[/img]

Morning runners,

Karen....Congratulations! Your story really touched me. You’re an excellent “fit” example for your children and that’s just priceless. I hope you enjoy your run and day with your family.

WOOHOO, Sarah is just kickin’ @ss! She’s at 3:39:59 at mile 25.2 WOW! :eek:

Elaine...Great race and time! I think the 40 age group is just tough! It’s the same here, they’re faster than the 20 & 30 year old groups!

Shelly...that elevation was just insane! Wow, on your finishing time! If you’re that fast on hills, I can just imagine how fast you are on a flat course…..kinda like Sarah, I bet. ;)

Carole...thanks for the link for the Bryan Kest workouts. I ordered them last night so they should get here this week sometime. Enjoy your long run today.

Mattea…. I can barely eeek out 5 on my toes push ups so you’re the QUEEN, lol!

Christine...it’s always so great to cut your time, it makes you feel good all day. Do you hike a lot? Where do you go?

Karin...you are NOT a tortoise, because then I’d be one too…lol! Hey slow and steady, that’s us.

Gayle….that’s so great that you’ve inspired your Mom! She has to be so proud of you, too!

Laura...I’m glad your son’s team won yesterday!

Today I did a mish-mosh workout and tried some new step DVDs (Amy Bento Step, the first section of Kelly-Coffey Meyers step) and then an old favorite….C&W step premix. I followed that up with shoulders/bi/tri’s from PUB and the floor segment of Pure & Simple Stretch.

Kathy G

Sarah is pretty incredible, isn't she?? She's got to be SO PROUD of herself!!! That's awesome. Thanks for keeping track, Elaine.

I'm off today on a longer run since there's this half in July... ;) I've got new shoes on, which I probably shouldn't go out for a long run in right off, but they are so much cushier than my old ones, I want to!!!

The weight on my scale didn't change since last week, so I'm kind of bummed about that. I'm blaming the 2 off-plan meals this week, especially the unknown amount of salt in my dinner last night. Sigh. But 3 weeks into ETL, I really did expect to lose more than 3.5 pounds. I find it really difficult to run when I pick up an 8lb dumbell and think, "I don't want to run holding this!!" and that's at least how much I have to lose. Sigh.

But, move it or lose it DOES NOT apply to bodies!! So, I'm off!! Headed up to a trail that is pretty flat, then coming home to clean up and then I MEET CHRISTINE TODAY!!!!!! I'm pretty excited- never met anyone from the forum in person!!!! We're going to go for a hike. Super fun!

Congratulations again, Sarah!!

One of the things that really bugs me about races is when walkers get in my way. Now, I'm not talking about power walkers but those that walk three or four abreast, strolling along, chatting. I know that these races are usually fund raisers for charity so it's a good thing that there are all levels out there doing what they can. And I also know that whether you are walking or running it's great that you are moving your body at all. I just don't understand how it's not understood by some people that it's not a good thing to be taking up the entire race lane while you are strolling with your friends!

And that was just at a local 10K....DH's friend who was here last week after running Big Sur said that even though walkers were told to stay to one side of the road there were many who disregarded that. And since they had an earlier start they were on the course while he was running and managed to get in his way.

Sorry for the rant! It just bugs me that when I am working hard with my heart rate near it's max that I have to yell out to a group of walkers to move over so I can come through. It throws my pace off and just generally pisses me off!!! LOL!

Kathy - I live the the Bay Area of California (San Jose, actually), and I'm lucky that there are a lot of wonderful hiking trails around here. In fact I'm meeting Amy for the first time today at Rancho San Antonio - it's an Open Space Preserve. We're going hiking! YEAH! I'm excited.

Figured I'd get in a little Kenpo X this morning before I meet Amy. DH is leaving at 10:45 for China then India to see his mom. He's going to take the dogs to the middle school track to see if his knee holds up better on the track then a treadmill. Keep your fingers crossed (both for the knee and his mom).

Christine and Amy!! Have fun hiking. It sounds like lots of fun.

Gotta ask Christine, Why is your DH going to China? Is he Indian? That would explain your (what seems like) frequent comments about eating Indian food!

How do you guys know how sarah was doing? Wow, that is a great time!!! bionic woman!!!:)

carole have a nice run today!!

I finished my 14mile run today. I felt really good to. I actually set my watch to run 2hrs 20mins figuring a 10min mile and I actually ran 2hrs 26min ,a few extra since I felt good. I will have to drive and actually measure to see but my friend said to run slower, so I just figured a 10min pace so if I went faster that would mean I would have to run farther because I was running that set time regardless. God Ihope I feel that good for my half in a couple of weeks.

sounds like everyone is having good runs and enjoying them and thats what it is all about. no matter how fast,slow or far running just does something to you internally. just gotta love it. anyway hope everyone has a nice day.

Good morning all! What an increadible accomlishment for Sarah...she has got to be so pumped!

Carole- thank you for your encouragement and support as always. Have a great time on your 18 miler. I'll be going for that distance again next week.

Kathy- How do you like Amy Bento? I've been curious to try her with all the chatter on the forums. She seems to be very challenging.
Kelley-Coffeey's Ready,Step,Go is one of my favorites, actually. Thank you too for your kind words and encouragement. I've been feeling a little down on myself for not being able to break 2 hrs on my HM yesterday.

Elaine- I understand TOTALLY your frustration with walkers. I can't count how many social groups of walkers chatting away gaily I had to run around yesterday. My choices were either to jump up on the sidewalk or run out into traffic!

Laura- Sounds like you had an excellent training run. I'm sure you'll do terrific for your half marathon!

Today was a relaxed 5 mile run, then Muscle Max.
take care all!
ShellyC

Oh my god Sarah is a running MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear back from her. I'll get my tissues out before I read her post this time, since when she's not racing she writes incredibly moving and inspiring posts, this one ought to be a doozy!;-) :D

Karen-Sounds like another great family outing for you and congratulations on your race yesterday! Keep riding that high through 9 miles today!

Carole-I think honeybunch might be starting to rub off on my because I'm actually getting to like pushups:eek: I have a quick question about your long run days, do you eat any differently after your runs? More carbs, more calories, etc?

Elaine-Thanks for keeping tabs on our girl! I do most of my running on no-sidewalk road, and I feel pretty much the same way about traffic, LOL!

Kathy-Sounds like a fun, step-filled morning. I love mishmoshes don't you? Sometimes I just don't have the patience for a single workout;-) But I just can't get into any other step instrutor besides Cathe, everything just seems out of place to me:)

Christine and Amy-Have a fantastic time on your hike today!! Amy, hope your new shoes feel great! And pictures please, pretty please:+

Laura-You are such a strong runner! What is your 14 mile course like? I need to start extending my mileage and would love to have your advice.

ShellyC-I heard the U2 song on my run this morning (at about mile 7) and thinking of you climbing those hills made me get my butt in gear, so THANKS! :7

I did my long run today (and though no marathon--Go Sarah--Again you ROCK!!!) I did manage to shave 6 MINUTES off my time from last week!! I ran 10 (HILLY) miles in 1:33:07!!! I pushed it harder on the front end of the run and we made it to the 3 mile marker in about 32, first three miles are mostly uphill, 2 of which are very steep, so I was so pumped that I just kept pushing it. Man, a HRM really keeps you honest, LOL! I kept thinking of Karen running her first 5K mile uphill, Amy running in addition to her bootcamp duties, Shelly getting up the mountains, Carole on her "easy" 19 milers, Laura feeling amazing in prep for her half, and Gayle who just keeps getting faster and faster, Christine building her mileage, Barb hitting 11 miles, Elaine and her amazing dedication to running and racing, Sarah on her marathon---you guys SO pulled and pushed me along this morning. So a deep down THANK YOU:+ :+ from the bottom of my feet. Now, I will put the sentimental stick back down as I'm sure we'll need it to congratulate Sarah.
Mattea

I want you all to be the first that I tell my great news to! The lottery results are in for St. George and so I now know that DH and I will be running it in October!! Whoo hoo! I have a friend who lives in St. George and she was going to run her very first marathon last year. After her 20 mile run she was diagnosed with a stress fracture. You can just imagine her disappointment but was so nice to put us plus another friend of mine up and then take care of my children while we ran and finally hosted a bbq for additional family and friends who came to town to watch the marathon. She's giving it another shot this year and will be so happy we'll be there running it with her!!

Man, it's gonna be so good to have that marathon to focus on. I have no problem tightening up my diet or fighting the urge to blow off a workout when I've got that to look forward to!

Better go let my friend know now!!

I just got back home from our outing today. I managed to get in 6 miles of running and 2 miles of walking fast pulling two children on roller blades. So all in all it was a great workout.

Congratulations Sarah- How proud we are of you. You are such a strong and wonderful women. You have helped me in so many ways and have answered so many questions from me. When i was out today running I thought about how you had been going at it for quite sometime. It made me think that maybe one day who knows. Your time is so impressive. It's just amazing what you have done. We all know how hard you worked for this. Enjoy the day. You deserve it.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

I'm back from my approx 7 mile run. I forgot how WONDERFUL longer runs are!! I knew they were great, but had kind of forgotten why. ;)

Anyway, the new shoes have one toe hurting, but that's okay. We'll see how they go. They are my first pair of trail shoes, and I really was surprised that they made a difference! It was much more fun to run along and not be so concerned my feet would slip and fly out from underneath me. :p

Then, into the ice bath when I got back. Shudder. Too bad that works so well! DH was so excited when I called him to ask him to start the water going... he sits and keeps me entertained while I'm in there, shuddering. :) What a sweetie!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.