Runners Check-In, Wed, 6.07.06

Thomasina: Check your pms!:)

Cathy: I live in monmouth county but the race I am thinking of is in either middlesex or union county-not sure which. I am looking for a race closer to me though...what county are you in?

Sherry: Lots of folks will drive the route they run to see how far it is. Others have something called a GARMIN that tracks your speed and mileage and all. HTH!:)

OK, ask & you shall receive!

check it out- I just put it under June '06, but those pics are a little old. Right now he's shedding his winter fur & looks mangy!! I also found one of my Grandma while looking for one of Mikey so I posted that one too! Now you know why we still love him even though he seems to be trouble lately!!!

Hugs,

Don't get discouraged, it's hard on your body being sick & then running again!! I had trouble when I was off for 2 mos w/ my foot injury getting back into the swing of it. I seriously didn't think I'd ever get my speed back, but I did! Just take it easy until you're fully healed!!

Hugs,

Hey Laura,
I can understand your frustration - you're mentally ready to be out there full speed, but your body isn't. I think that's the key. Your body is just not ready. Nothing's wrong with you, and your running *isn't* back to square one. You just have to let your body recover fully. Maybe you've been pushing it a little too hard. Sometimes if you jump back in too hard too soon, you draw out the process. I'd say run the race if you feel up to it - without any expectation besides simply finishing. Treat it as a training run. It's hard, but be patient and make sure you are getting enough rest. Most runners, I think, wind up learning the hard way that you have to really listen to & take care of your body in order for it to perform.

Hope you're back to your old form soon!
Cathy :)

Ooh, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that sees llamas!! No bears around here & I'm glad that I haven't seen a bear!!! YIKES!! I guess that's one good thing about living in the midwest!

Oh, and I am NOT good at step either. Those darn turns & things get me every time, I get lost & then feel like I'm not getting a good workout. I don't even have a step bench, so I don't think I'll be getting any of those soon!! I prefer the kickboxing over step anyway!!

Hugs,
Jess

Thomasina--mountain lions?? Good God. And here I thought the beaver on a busy road was exotic! lol

Wendy--I am in Cam Co. When I raced, I usually stayed within neighboring counties unless I did Philly or the shore. But let me know if you wind up registering, and I'll see where/when it is. By the fall, I wouldn't mind doing a 5K.

Triple post in a row. Keep missing things.

Re: the Garmin. Cool! I thought it was a heart rate monitor. So now there's ANOTHER gadget to covet!

RE: OK, ask & you shall receive!

>check it out- I just put it under June '06, but those pics
>are a little old. Right now he's shedding his winter fur &
>looks mangy!! I also found one of my Grandma while looking
>for one of Mikey so I posted that one too! Now you know why
>we still love him even though he seems to be trouble
>lately!!!
>
>Hugs,

OMG Jess! You have a golden!!! So do I! :) Aren't they the BEST!?

Jess – WOW! Mikey is way cool! I just love my golden! Her name is Violet and she also loves the snow..…alright, that’s it, now I really just have to take the time to upload the Violet in the snow pics and link them to my picture trail. Thanks for posting Mikey; he’s really cute!

Laura! - I too am recovering from an upper respiratory yucky, poo poo, infection thingey which made my measly 2 mile run this morning a bit of a struggle AND I couldn’t really breathe. I do know that I can run much better and farther than this morning but I won’t push myself until I am fully recovered. I think your body is not recovered fully and that is why you feel fatigued and you can’t settle into your pace. Please remember that you are a very awesome cheetah runner, so ease up on yourself this week and you’ll find that next week’s runs will be much, much better! Hang in there, girl, this will pass!

Wendy my dear, lol – Did you want me to check my PMS? :+ LOL – just kidding! I already sent you a reply and isn’t way cool that Jess also is a proud dog parent of a Golden?

Cathy – Yep, California is definitely Mountian Lion (AKA – Cougar) country. Just ask Super Carole; she runs with the cougars and bears every Sunday! Yikes!

Hello again, posting a little late I know but I live in the west (Az)
so me and the California cheetahs often post here late! I think I'll wait till tomorrow morning to reply to so many of the wonderful cheetahs here.
Re: animals encountered- I have a few unique ones where I run. I live about 25 miles out of town so I encounter alot of Arizona wildlife. Rattlesnakes, of course, I always have to look for, some more interesting ones are pronghorn antelope and javelinas (wild pigs) LOTS of roadrunners. Also some people down the road from me raise Alpacas. We also have bobcats, mule deer, mountain lions and of course, the ever present coyotes.

Laura, sweetie pie---please don't get too discouraged. Sounds like a perfect normal reaction to some overtraining. I know you are dedicated and determined in your running. I encountered this not too long ago. You need to back off some in your intensity or length of runs. Don't try for a PR each time you go out! You will come out of this--really! More is not always better!!!

ShellyC

thanks everyone , you all are probably right. Its just frustrating when I was feeling so strong and great during my runs. I cant stand it when I feel like I am not full capacity . I cant wait to feel that way again.

I emailed sarah and she has been very busy with her little ones so she hasnt been able to post much. she is also starting to train for her columbus marathon in october. she informed me that columbus now offers a half marathon instead of the relay teams. I am considering running the half. If I do, I will be excited to meet sarah in person. she has been such a big help with my running .

see everyone later!

Funny! People sometimes think he's golden

but he's a German shepherd/ chocolate lab mix!! You can't see his ears well in the pic, but he has a bit more German in his ears. He's very friendly but protective of us. He's a really good mix!! He grew sooo fast too, we've had him 2 yrs & he was about 10 lbs at 5 weeks & we think he's about 90+ lbs now!!

Yep, now everyone has to share pics of their pets!! He's actually my first pet other than a goldfish, I was never allowed pets growing up (my Dad is scared to death of dogs!).

Yikes on the mountain lions, I'll stick w/ my llamas, raccoons, and smaller wildlife!!!

Hugs,

RE: Funny! People sometimes think he's golden

Okay, ladies, I love Goldens but seriously once you try an Australian Shepherd and learn just how intelligent and loving they really are, you might change your minds... :) Tucker is as sweet as any Golden, but he learns so quickly. And he's cute to boot... But, IMHO ANY dog is wonderful! Jess I love your Mikey! Shepherds and labs are two of my favorite dogs, and to see them combined is awesome!

Hmm, never saw a mountain lion live, but I did see footprints - that was kind of eerie as I was running alone with only Tucker, and I did a double take. Those prints are huge (think the size of a very large man's hand). I've seen snakes, cows (free range - a little disconcerting when you're running along on an empty trail!), coyotes, bob cats (scared me too!), llamas - and I think I can beat the llamas, if you'll accept a run that was a while ago - when I lived in Albuquerque, I would run the Rio Grande trail and one of the farms that backed to the trail had a camel and ostriches... Those were interesting!

RE: Funny! People sometimes think he's golden

WHUT? Ok, Ok, so I took another look at mikey and now I can see a little of the shepherd, but I tell ya he must have a little Golden in him somewhere cuz he has the fuzzy legs and tail…and well it doesn’t matter because he’s just as cute as he can be, and he looks well loved.

Oh and I also forgot to include coyotes and foxes in my list of animals seen on the run. Christine, I know what you are saying about the mountain lion prints…eeeek! We often find huge ones down in the lower yard by the pond in the mud where the water recedes. Now that freaks me out a little because my DD’s horse is only about 50 feet from there. Smokey (the horse) is an Arabian though, so he puts up a pretty big showy fuss when big things spook him out. Ok..time to get some shut eye now

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.