Runner's Check-In 04/30/06

Good luck Gayle , we will be thinking of you today!!!!!!

I will be running 5miles today. I thought I might be a little sore from the race yesterday but I am not. I feel good.

sarah I tried those edurolytes before my race yesterday. I think they helped. I didnt get my usual lightheadedness after the race from pushing myself so hard like I normally do. I guess I am lacking electrolytes during my runs. Man what a difference. I hope I feel as good as I did yesterday for my half next month. I will be running 14miles next saturday and will use those during that run also. I guess that will be the true test. I will let ya know if I felt like they made a difference on my long run but I truely believe they helped make a difference with my run yesterday. I'm usually dying about the last 3/4 of a mile but sustained my pace the whole way yesterday . I felt like I could have pushed myself even harder but I was afraid of tuckering out so I didnt .

have a nice day everyone!

Good morning girls.

I'm so excited for you Gayle. i can't wait for you to report back. The weather is looking good for runs on the east coast so I hope you have a beautiful day.

Today I am going for a run. i don't know how long yet so I will report back later. My dh and the girls are going biking on some new trails in a park 30 min from our home so I am going to run along side of them as they bike. We are getting ready to leave and go for our family outing. I'll let you know how far I went later. I am unfamiliar with the bike and run paths up there but I can't wait to test them out.

Good Luck to you Gayle.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Good morning Gayle, Laura, Karen and all who follow

Good Luck Gayle!! We will be waiting tomorrow!

Laura..I am glad you aren't sore...have a nice run today

Karen...that sounds like fun checking out the trails as the kids and your DH ride. Quite a nice family outing...

I'll be running 18 miles at our other lake. Hoping to get done before it gets too hot...

Have a great day...

Good morning everyobody!

GOOD LUCK GAYLE! Though I doubt you will need it, you are awesome! :)

Laura, I will have to try enduralyte. I definitely need something like that, and congrats on your run yesterday! :D

Karen, sounds like outings that we make around here: I push Ds in the stroller and the older two and DH ride their bikes. Of course I get smoked, but I love to be with them doing something that I love! :)

Carole, that sounds like such a beautiful run! I am jealous! I had to run my 10 miles on a treadmill (ugh!!!) because it was raining all day. I watched xXx to help the time pass a little easier and less painfully. ;)

Sorry I haven't checked in in so long, I have been really busy out in my gardens weeding, dividing, fertilizing, etc... and that has put me behind in housework so I have been doing all kinds of catching up this past week. I missed this checkin! Today I am taking a rest. It is only six days before the mini, so I have only two 3 mile days before the 13, I get lots of rest days. But I hate resting!!! I always have to be doing something, dangit!

I do have a question for you long distance runners... have you ever lost a toenail? One of my toenails is so loose, and it wiggles inside of my sock, I am just waiting for it to fall off. It doesn't hurt, though. Will it fall off or heal itself? Anyone experience this?

Have a wonderful day, you guys!!! :)

Missy

Good morning to all you wonderful runners and good luck to Gayle.
I'll be looking for that race report.
Laura-congrats again...you sound like you're on a roll. Will the 1/2 next month be your first? I love racing that distance, you really feel like you've accomplished something but it doesn't wipe you out like a marathon.
Carole- just a nice easy 18 miler today...walk in the park for you!
Missy- hi there...it sounds like we are on the same schedule right now. I have a 1/2 coming up in 6 days and am in the taper/ rest period. It's also VERY hard for me to take it easy. I'm way too driven. I've never lost a toenail but from perusing running forums I understand it is a common malady. Your toenail should eventually fall off and it will come back. Are you having any other foot/toe problems? It may be time for new shoes.
Anyway, today is a relaxed 5 mile run and some strength work, probably PUB.
Happy running to all!
ShellyC

Go Gayle Go!!! Oh have a blast today! I'll be waiting with credit card handy for your results! I have THAT much faith in you girl!

Laura - WOW! Sounds like you're doing fabulous! Glad you feel great today, and once again - congrats on the race! Second in your age group is wonderful!

Missy - have fun today. I know tapering is going to be tough for me - I'm so used to going, going, going... Let us know how it's going. And yes, I have lost toe nails but due to hiking, not running. I either lose them due to improper fitting shoes, or because I keep my toe nails too long. I usually just pull the loose nail off - there's a little underskin, so you can still paint that if you like your nails painted (like I do). :)

Carole - Sounds like a nice run. I am really looking forward to having the endurance to run longer trails as they are the most beautiful and relaxing.

Shelly - Have fun with your run and weight work!

I'm going to do a six mile hike with DH and the dogs today. It's gorgeous here! I'll probably run the down hill if DH's knee is up for it (we usually do run it anyway), the up hill is steep - it's about a 1500 foot elevation gain in 3 miles. A lot of people do run it, but I'm not there yet. :) Enjoy your Sundays everyone! I'm sore but not too bad today.

Good morning everybody!!

Today I'll do GS Legs and Bryan Kest Yoga.

Gayle, Good luck (although with the time difference you are probably done by now) Can't wait to hear how you did.

Laura, I'm so glad that you found something that seems to help with your endurance.

Karen, I hope you have fun at the park with your family.

Carole, What are you training for again? And when is it?

Missy, I have one toenail that hardly resembles one! I did get a pedicure last weekend and she worked wonders with it though!

Christine, Signed up for the Sonoma 1/2 yet????????

And don't forget Kathy's New Jersey marathon today!!!! Can't wait to hear how she does!!

shelly this will be my fourth half marathon. I did one last month in huron,ohio. I almost forgot that I just finished one. I guess because I really considered that one a part of my training for clevelands half in may. I really feel like I accomplished something after the half. Not quite ready for the full marathon though. I really cant imagine doubling the distance.YIKES!!!!

Gayle we all are thinking of you!!!!!!
Carole have a nice run today!!!!
Kathy we are thinking of you as well,goodluck!!

Hello ladies!

Gayle – How was your race? I can’t wait to hear how it went.

Laura – Congrats on your PR yesterday. That is amazing.

Karen, Carole, and Shelly – How did your running go?

Missy – I can’t believe you did 10 miles on a treadmill. I just did 3 miles on Friday and I thought I was going to die of boredom. Way to go!

Christine – How was the hike?

Today I ran for 75 minutes. I did pretty well for the first 60 min, but then I hit a major wall and just kind of got through the last 15 min. I don’t know what happened, but I am kind of bummed about it. I am looking forward to next weekend’s run though. Have a great day.

Karin

Gayle and Kathy, We cannot wait to hear from you! I have been thinking about you both all day!!! Report back as soon as you can!!

Laura, Thanks for the info...did you get those at GNC??

Carole, I am sure you had an awesome run! I hope the temperature held off for you!

Karen, Your run with the family sounds so awesome! That's what I was saying...building wonderful memories for your kids! You are providing them with an excellent role model...you're daughters will be looking to you to learn what kind of woman to be. Show them a fit, happy and healthy one and they will know nothing else! It will be second nature to them!

Karin, It's going to happen! No one has a perfect run eery time! You may have just run low on glycogen. Do you take a sports drink with you when you run that far? It may help!!

As for me, I did Yoga with Bryan Kest, as I continue to taper.

6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!6 MORE DAYS!!!

Christine, Your hike sounds WONDERFUL!!! I wish like crazy we had stuff like that around here!! Very jealous!!

Missy, I have gone through several toe nails...they are always coming off! I think it has to do with the size of the toe box of the shoe. I decided I would mess with it after my marathon. Now is not the time to try new stuff! I sometimes put toe caps on my toes and that keeps them more comfortable.

Good luck Gayle! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Awesome job Laura, don't you love it when you find something new that helps you feel even better after running (now you have an excuse to run more and harder!)

Karen-Sounds like a great day ahead, just enjoy yourself!

Carole-I also tried to get in the long run before it gets "hot" here today, of course for me that's about 70:D

Missy-I feel for you having to run that distance inside, I need to actually see the miles passing and feel like I'm getting somewhere to do that kind of mileage. Nope, never lost a toenail---frankly the idea of it is kind of grossing me out:eek:

Shelly-I had such DOMS from PUB earlier this week as I had been doing mostly full body workouts for awhile and am starting to switch back to splits. Enjoy!

Christine-I'm always tempted to run downhills on long walks as well, otherwise they seem to take forever! I just recently have been experimenting with a new stride for downhills that I read about in the most recent Runner's World, you kind of concentrate on keeping you legs a little more straight, longer, with each stride--kind of like freefalling between each step. I love it as it is way less jarring and I move much faster downhill.

Elaine-Enjoy the yoga! Legs+yoga always equals a lot of mental patience for me, lol

Karin-It's a long time to be running. Was the weather any warmer than usual today? How was your hydration? Sleep? Eating the day before? Any differences can show up in the long run the next day, I've learned that the hard way, lol. Better luck next time!

Sarah-Please talk more about the tapering and less about the toenails!! AHHH!

Good luck Kathy!!!!

Today way a personal best for me on the 10 mile long run!!!!! I made it in 1:39:02!!! DH carried the Gatorade and I made sure to drink every 15 min. after the first 35 min. What a huge difference in power (and I did a little judicious carbing the night before--popcorn! and blueberry banana oatbran muffin,mmmmmm) The last few miles DH suddenly said, "If you keep up this pace you'll have a great time" so I pushed it and we made the last mile in under 9 min. He said afterwards that he was very impressed with my speed on the last few miles, I am so excited because today as I was nearing the top of the first big hill (of about 6) I realized that the first hill alone is 10 min. all the way up!! Can you tell I'm excited?
I also did Coremax 3 and C/T from PUB and MM before I left. I feel GREAT!! Hope that you ladies racing today have similar experiences.
Mattea

Hi everyone. I'm back and you wont' believe this. I ran 9 miles. Usually my furthest was 7 to 8 but slowly I have been building. Well, today I did 9 miles. Holy Crap. It felt so good out there on the paths they had. The girls and dh had a ball and ran right along side me the whole way. The first 6 miles were fine and so I said do you want to go around one more time and they said ok mom. So by mile 8 is when my quads hurt. I'm so so so so happy. Right now my legs feel great like I didn't even run today. I'm so excited I came here for support to give me this push.

Your right Sarah this was a great day. The girls and even dh said this is going to be a every weekend deal for us. I loved getting up early like we were all at camp or somthing. By 10:00 the path was getting full but by then we had already done 6 miles. Man I am so happy. I didn't know I had it in me. Next time we are going to pack picnic baskets and eat there afterwards. This just opened up near us. It's about 25 min to get there but so worth it. They have one long stretch and then a stretch which takes you by a pond then one that takes you into the woods somewhat for the trail runs they have there. The whole thing is 3 miles around. The girls thought we were in Dora the Explorer land when going into the spooky tunnels (woods). What a great day.

Carol, I hope your enjoying your day as much as I did. I love running outdoors.

Missy- I see why you do this to. I can't wait till Saturday and the kids are at the race. Yeah!!!!!
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Missy...I am brutal on treadmills, so outside is better for me! I have lost toenails before. For me it was about finding the right fit in a running shoe. Not too tight and not too loose. Reebok Stability shoes work well for me..:)..rest is good and I'll be out weeding soon myself!

Shelly...sounds like a nice workout for you today!

Christine...since I said I'd join you in getting a Cardio Coach for Gayle...should we just each get one?..:)...I agree that trails are beautiful for running. I think you have some around where you live. The good thing about Ultra trail running is you are ALLOWED to walk the steep uphills...

Elaine I just love GS legs!! I am training for a 50K July 15th in Ashland, Oregon. Also my sister and I will be pacing a runner (20 miles each) in the Western States 100 miler June 24&25.

Laura...stick with halfs for awhile....or you could always look for a 30K (18.6 miles)..:)

Karin...sometimes runs can be like that. I myself have started out real strong and lost it in the end. Next run will be better!

Sarah...the temp was great for my run! Yoga is great for tapering and Bryan is...just....great...:)

Way to go Mattea! I do the 15 min drinking thing also on long runs! Great time in the last mile...:)

Karen...9 miles?...that is so cool...:)...I hope your quads won't be too sore tomorrow, You are so ready for your 5K!!

I ended up doing 16 instead of 18. One thing about trail running is you can trip...I did, but didn't fall, therefore my lower back and hamstring got tweaked..:(...I will see my chiropractor tomorrow..:)

carole that is a great idea, I never thought about a 30K. I dont know if we have many around here but that would be a nice step up.

Mattea great job!!! Karen great job, keep up the good work!!!
Sarah I bought them on hammergel.com. also if you have a daves running store they might have them. I found one in sylvania that carries them.

talk to everyone later!!

The hike was gorgeous - we did walk down as DH's knee is still healing, but as I was exhausted anyway, I didn't mind. This week is surely catching up with me - P90X AND training for a 1/2? What WAS I thinking? LOL - that's just me. My body will get used to it soon enough. And Carole - the hiking up steep hills makes sense - I can usually hike 'em faster than I run them! We hike faster than mountain bikers bike on a few of the hills on this trail!

Carole - of course - let's just get it for her. I'll go ahead and order it. I just need her address.

Mattea - WAY TO GO! That is very exciting! You're doing very well!! WOW!! And YES on the downhill running. I find I go a lot faster and use fewer muscles if I let gravity help. I never made a conscience effort to do what you say, but I can see how it would work. I'm definitely trying it next time I hike.

Laura - check your local marathons - I know a lot of them offer alternative mileages - and some have something less than a full and more than a half. The Big Sur offers a 20 mile option - which if I'm not mistaken is about 30k.

KATHY AND GAYLE!!! HOW'D IT GO?!?! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.