Runner's Check-in 04/27/06

Shelly - when and where are you running? Forgive me for not knowing. I love hearing about everyone's races.

Carole - you can always come join us for the after festivities... :+ You are bad, though. Reading the description, not only does it sound gorgeous (and that area is) but it sounds like the perfect first half... Let me survive this, then I'll tell you if I think a full is on the horizon for October or not. (Who just said that?! Surely not I!)...

LOL! Carole – you crack me up! Thanks for the help and yep, I think we have enabled Christine already! Now, I’m going to attempt to post a link for Christine to see the course elevation…lol. I think you’ll still be able to join us Carole…if you can run 50 gazillion miles, what is just a measly 13.1 more? Dang, I’m sure good at this enabling thing, huh? Oh, and I surely won’t be able to do Humbolt this year because DH and I will be off to Hawaii this Fall to celebrate an anniversary….Aloha! Besides, I still have to work him over about me running a marathon again anyway…hee hee

Christine – check out this link regarding the course elevation. It appears to be pretty friendly as Elaine says.

http://runcarneros.com/exec/carneros/images/Carneros_elevationmap.gif

If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to call in the expertise of Carole to post the darn elevation photo!

Elaine – Yep, you betcha we will drag her there! Lol

Shelley – I too am interested in when and where your marathon is…we’ll be rooting for you too!

Thomasina….

hello everyone,
I didnt know we had a new check in area. I wonder why nobody started the check in ,in open discussion. I ran 5 miles after work before my sons soccer game. They won by the way!! I get so excited watching my boy play,my husband laughs at me. cant help it though!!! anyway it was a very nice day here in ohio, a little windy but nice. tomorrow i will only do upper body work as I am resting my legs for saturdays 5k.

Gayle I usually push way harder on 5k's than on the longer runs. I am hoping to bring my time down.

hope everyone has a nice day!!:)

Howdy Laura!

Glad you found the check-in boards..Yeah, we too were loud cheering parents when our kids were playing sports. At least we aren't the type arguing with the refs though!

Good luck on your 5K!

Thomasina

Christine...yes the Napa area is beautiful...so maybe next year?..:)

Thomasina, there is a half at Humboldt...beautiful redwoods....:)

Here is the course description Shelly. I have done the half 5 or 6 times and the marathon twice. The redwoods really are beautiful:

The marathon & half marathon start together (at 9am) at the Dyerville Bridge which is on the famous Avenue of the Giants near the majestic Founders Grove in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The 5K will start at 9:15am at the Dyerville Bridge and is an out and back on the AVenue of the Giants. The Half Marathon course is an out and back on the Avenue of the Giants. The Marathon course follows the Half Marathon course until mile 13, where it turns west onto Bull Creek Road for the final out and back to the finish. The course will be closed to all vehicles and bicycles from miles 1 through 13 in the Half Marathon. Miles 14 through 26 in the Marathon will be controlled by pilot cars. Runners should be alert for pilot cars and autos following them. The elevation is about 200 feet above sea level. Both courses are on pavement and are almost entirely under a canopy of old growth redwood trees. The races finish on the Avenue of the Giants about 148 yards north of the starting line. The courses are marked at every mile and split times will be given at miles 1, 5, 10 & 15. There will be aid stations with electrolyte replacement drinks and water approximately every 2.5 miles. Food will be available on the Marathon course near miles 17 & 22.

I know this is not a great pic as it was way small and I tried to blow it up. Me on the right and my sister on the left halfway thru the Humboldt marathon in Oct 1997.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL752/3147882/6408279/142621606.jpg

WOW! a half you say? I could probably squeeze in the training for that with the vacation...hmmmm....I'll have to look at the date again for Humbolt. I love the Redwoods too! Carole, I may be a certified enabler but you definitely are an ACE enabler! }(LOL

Thomasina

Should I add that it is a fast half....http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/2.gif[/img].....sincerely, the ACE enabler...:)

PS Oct 15th....

*Stares balefully at Carole* I seriously need to get through Napa first! Although I love the Redwoods... Hmmm... And I'm convinced Carole is not an enabler - she's secretly trying to kill the competition by making them run all of these races }( (like I would be competition for the likes of her anyway)...

Oh no....Christine you found out!!! My favorite phrase: "The older I get, the faster I used to be"....and it is sooooooooooooo true. But meeting up with some of you Catheites would be so incredibly fun...I do wish you well in Napa...:)...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.