rotator surgery on 19th/advice?

cocob1

Cathlete
I'd love advise from those of you who have had rotator cuff surgery. I'm scheduled for surgery next Tuesday morning. I've been told about a motorized "chair" that moves my arm up and down at home and about an icing unit (that my insurance may not pay for)... for the first 6 weeks while I have to keep my arm in a sling .... no running...(no Cathe but I can't do upper body at all right now..)... then start PT after the 6 weeks are up.
Any "fashion" tips as to what to wear while I can't move my right arm? ;)
I'm bummed. I'm going to be one fat, out of shape, one armed, messy haired gal for a long time... but I've been struggling since February with this and it's getting worse. And I'm getting scared... :eek:
Colleen

Colleen-

In June of 2006, I suffered a total tear of my supraspinatus rotator cuff and had surgery to reattach it. The surgeon had to drill holes in the bone in order to reattach it which I think was the cause of most of my post-op pain. I spent 6-8 hours per day for 2 months in the motorized chair that raises your arm up/down at various angles to improve ROM plus physical therapy 2 x per week. I am so thankful for that chair (even though it was a PITA) because it made all the difference with getting my ROM back. At about 3-4 months, I started lifting a tuna can (Woo Hoo!!) and gradually progressed from there. I wore a sling for the first 6 weeks and was unable to drive for about 2 months because it was my right arm and I couldn't even reach out to turn the key or move the gear shift. I needed help getting dressed, especially putting on a bra and shirt for quite awhile. Mainly wore large loose t-shirts that could be pulled easily over my head.

I lost a considerable amount of strength during my rehab and recovery but was able to gradually build back up to where I was and beyond. In fact I just completed STS and am lifting heavier than before my injury. I'm as close to 100% as I'll ever be but my shoulder will always have issues with the scar tissue crunching, grinding and pinching.

PHEW...I was long winded there. The main thing I would tell you is to stay consistent with your physical therapy exercises, don't try to do too much too fast and listen to your "shoulder". Stop if something doesn't feel right. Continue to do your therapy exercises occasionally even after your sessions are done. I always add a couple sets of external rotations to every shoulder workout.

Good luck with your surgery and know that you can come back from this!

Thanks Ninjamom,
The injury is my suppraspunatis tendon in my right arm coupled with a bone spur that is not getting any better. The tear is about 3/4 of the tendon. It's going to be a very interesting summer.
Colleen

If the icing unit you refer to a cryo cuff I highly recommend you shell out the money for one. My SO has one for his shoulder surgeries and he doesn't know how he would have done without. You will appreciate being wrapped up in the icy goodness ;)

I had a totally torn/ruptured bicep tendon repaired/reattached and bone spur removed. As far as fashion ... I had my surgery in late December so I went braless for a few weeks and always wore two layers of clothing -- one large t-shirt type layered over with a zip or buttoned sweater or hoodie. Just be sure to leave more time for showering, hygiene, getting dressed. etc. as it is all at a much slower pace.

When you go for the surgery, be sure to have a large zip or button top so you don't have to put your slinged arm into any clothing sleeve when you leave the surgical center.

I didn't have any fancy equipment for rehab. The orthopedic surgeon supplied me with a ice-thingy that could ice almost the entire shoulder region at one time. Ice is good! I quit all pain relievers the day after the surgery cuz I didn't like how they made me feel, and just went with ice until I was ok'd to take motrin again.

My surgeon started PT 2 weeks after surgery. I was ok'd to stop using the sling all the time then too; just when my shoulder became fatigued or was at risk for being jostled (like in the halls of the local high schools during class exchange). He gave me the option of going to a PT center or doing supplied exercises at home. Since my insurance didn't cover much of the PT, I opted to do it at home with instructions from his in-house PT who also supplied me with some tools/equipment. I did some type of PT exercise twice a day, every day. I started light aerobic exercise (walking) after the 2 week check-up and started lower weight exercises (dumb-bells only) about that time also. At the 4 week checkup, I was encourgaed to start upper body with light weights and bands and listen to my body and not overdo it. The dr said my progress was as good as, and in some ways, better, than people who use a PT center.

I am so glad I had the surgery. My shoulder is sooo much better. I'm lifting more than I did before the injury too. Range of motion is good also, not perfect, but adequate and seems to continue to improve over time. I wouldn't worry too much about gaining weight. Focus on your rehab and getting healthy again. Your body will be using calories to heal - I did not gain weight during the rehab process. And your strength will come back. It is pretty cool to be able to notice such great improvements over time.

I hope your surgery goes well and your rehab back to health is quick too. Best wishes, Deb

Deb, thanks for the day of surgery fashion tip. I would have shown up with my usual daily garb and would have to go home wrapped in a blanket LOL
I'll have to figure out what to wear in summer that isn't too hot or too revealing as well.
I'm so glad I asked for some advice. I pick up my sling and ice/compressor thingy tomorrow.
Off to do a Plyo legs while I still can (only 5 & 8 # weights).

One other thing..... keep your incision covered and out of the sun this summer. I was told if the incision area got sun burned, it could affect how much it will fade. I also massaged it every day with natural vitamin E oil and now my 2" scar is barely noticeable.

It's a good thing I hate the sun! It's one reason I like doing my Cathe workouts. High intensity but I'm out of the sun for my skin's sake and I don't get over heated in summer or freeze to death in our Minnesota winters. Time is ticking by... 5 more days.

I pick up my sling and ice/compressor thingy tomorrow.

Trust me...you will be glad you did. My SO got the cooler and cuff for his shoulder. I bought the knee cuff to deal with my tendonitis and it has been a godsend. I can only imagine what it would mean post surgery. I'm sending speedy recovery vibes your way!

I don't get over heated in summer or freeze to death in our Minnesota winters.

Hey Colleen-

Where do you live in Minnesota? I'm in Maplewood. Where are you having the surgery? I had mine at Woodwinds Hospital in Woodbury and my surgeon was from Summit Orthopedic. Funny...small world:)

hi judy, i missed your post. i was probably on the couch high on pain meds post surgery.
i went to summit orthopedics at woodwinds too. my gp said that was the place so even though i live in minneapolis. i traveled to woodwinds and saw dr. kittleson for my rotator cuff surgery. he specializes in shoulders. i'm 24 days post surgery and i'm going nuts spending 3 to 4 hours in a passive motion chair. i'm walking lake harriet and modifying tracy longs tlts... every other day... and doing cathe's pilates/yoga/stability ball abs (no planks of coarse).
the hard part is managing boredom, sleeping on my back sitting up and keeping a positive attitude.
colleen
ps i'm using my cardio coaches on my i pod during my walks. sean helps me stay positive even if i can only walk and not run the lake like i used too and i really miss my cathe workouts.

Last edited:
Colleen-

I'm glad your surgery went well. I completely understand about the chair:( It was a PITA but really helps to get your ROM back. I was stir crazy too and missed my workouts big time. You can come back from this so be patient, do your PT exercises and look forward to the day you start front raises with a tuna can;) Hang in there!!

i can relate to the recliner thing. night time is the hardest. i have 5 pillows and a feather duvet holding me up right at night.
i'm so looking forward to the tuna can that will be a major victory.
did you go back to martial arts again?
can you do planks and full push ups now?
what kind of activity did you do to keep from going nuts?
you can pm me if you want to.
it's great to talk to another minnesotan. a-jock and i are talking of doing a minnesotan cathe get together later in the summer.

I did return to martial arts and was in the testing phase for my black belt again when I suffered a tear to my hamstring. Back to physical therapy for 6 months and I've finally decided that the sport is just too fast and explosive for someone my age at the intensity I want to do it. My master wants me to come back and is willing to modify the exam for me because I'm so close but I'm not so sure I want to risk it.

Once I started lifting, I progressed fairly quickly. It took about a year before I was back to pre-injury condition but am now lifting even heavier. I do pushups (on my toes), pullups, chinups, planks with no issues. The only thing I have trouble with is rear delt flys. The position causes pinching and is painful so I sub with posterior delt raises (like in S&H). My shoulder does has significant grinding and will occasionally pinch, catch or snap which is normal but can be uncomfortable.

Like you, I walked for a few months then added in the elliptical (with no arm movement). We have a pool so I would use a kick pad to move around. I even went to our cabin and brought my motorized chair with:confused: It sucks and you may get stir crazy but just don't try to do too much too fast.

Keep me posted on your progress and feel free to pm anytime:) I'd love a MN get together with other Catheites!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.