Rotator Cuff Problems

Lindylft

Hi everyone! I'm posting this for my son. He's a 24 year old student who has always lifted and been very athletic. He has always had some weakness in his rotator cuff. Last week he dislocated his shoulder while doing a drill for ice hockey. He had a recheck with the doctor this a.m. who told him that there was an 80% chance that he would dislocate it again (and again, and again)until he had surgery to fix the rotator cuff. He told him to go ahead and lift light and don't do anything that would stress his shoulder. I don't like the sound of this conversation at all. My son lives in Utah (and I'm in California) and I'm convinced this guy is basically giving him the brush-off because my son doesn't have any insurance.

My questions - Has anybody had this problem? Is it possible to strengten the rotator cuff enough to avoid surgery in the future? Is physical therapy necessary or does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that would help him?

I would appreciate any help you can give him - he's crushed that his physical activity may have to be permanently limited.

Thanks,
Lindy

Lindy--I've read that doing upright rows puts pressure on the rotator cuff, so it's probably a good idea for your son to avoid doing those. "Weightlifting for Dummies" has some excellent rotator cuff exercises (as well as being a good overall guide to strength training). I hope he feels better soon. Suzanna

Rotator Cuff injuries are perhaps the most common injury in weight lifting and are prevalent in impact sports as well.
I suspect you are correct that lack of insurance goes into the doctor's advice, but realistically, the only option to surgery is to keep the muscle area which supports the rotator cuff as strong as possible to hold the whole joint together.
There are definitely some exercises that are OK and some that are not.
My fiance just had rotator cuff surgery when his insurance finally covered it (after waiting 4 years from the original injury). He had to stop working out at all the last year.
Your son really needs to get insurance as soon as possible. SOmetimes taking a minimum wage night job for a few months is worth it to get the surgery. I know that is somewhat deceptive, but since when does corporate america care about us anyway?
Could your son consult with a certified personal trainer for exercise advice? Does he play hockey for a college? Will the coach set him up with at least one session with a therapist?
If he is going to continue to work out, he needs to get a professional opinion on which exercises are right for him.
It depends on exactly what the problem is: torn, pulled, separated, strained, one point, two..etc etc.
You are right to be concerned, but don't panic. Another doctor may have a different opinion.

Hi Lindy!
It's amazing isn't it that sons who are 24 years old are still our babies? I've got a 24 yr. old son with no medical insurance and it is really worrisome.
But, to get to my point. I HIGHLY recommend the book:
7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution written by physical therapists Jerry Robinson & Joseph Horrigan. $19.95 at Amazon (paperback) but unfortunately it is on back order (3-5 weeks :-( ) This book starts with the anatomy & physiology of the shoulder joint then gives exercises for strengthening & rehabilitation. Maybe Barnes & Noble or Borders might have it in stock. My hubby swears by this book. His shoulder pain is gone just from doing regular strengthening exercises from this book.
Good luck to you & your son.
Kay

Thank you all SO much for your advice! It's nice to know that there are some really caring people out there.

I'm going to check into the books that were suggested and get those in the mail to him as soon as I can. As far as insurance goes, his problem is not in getting a job - it's finding one that will fit into his full time school schedule. Right now he's a part time waiter at a Mexican restaurant (at least he gets to eat free!). He doesn't play hockey for the school, but the injury occured during a class given at the school rink by members of the team. I think I'll have him check with them for a lead on a recommended sports therapist and spring for a session or two for him.

Thanks again!
Lindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.