RIP Merlin Kitty

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Those of you who are FB friends w/ me already know. But I am wide awake tonight with toothache pain, and missing my lap sitting buddy. Vlad (the dog) will not come downstairs to be with me. Don't know why, but he won't come in the basement.

I had to put our kitty to sleep on Thurs. Merlin was only 11. Now I don't have anyone to talk to when I make breakfast in the morning :(

It was rough, but I know it was the right decision. He was an inside kitty and got out about 2 weeks ago, and was out for 2 nights. After he came back in he stopped eating and would just sit and stare at the wall. He went from about 13 lbs to 6.5 lbs before we put him down.

He had a blockage in his intestines and a mass of some sort on his chest wall. The xrays couldn't tell what was stopping him up, and unfortunately, we don't have $1000 for cat surgery that may not have been a guarantee to keep him alive, especially knowing that he also had something growing in his chest. His blood work wasn't right either. Indications were cancer, and more than likely things were wrong before he got out, it was just a coincidence. We had our local vet look and him and sent all the info to my cousin, who is also a vet, but lives out of state.

It was a rough decision to make, but I think it was the right one. I couldn't even make the appointment. I was thinking about it all day Weds, and sniffed and snuffled the whole way home. I got home, picked up Merline and cried for a good half hour. I stopped, and got up the courage to call the vet, but had to have DH make the appointment, because as soon as the lady picked up, I started bawling. Then we had to tell DS, and I started crying again.

I took him on Thursday morning, and felt like the most awful cat mom ever. I was ok Thurs morning, ate breakfast, worked out, tried not to think about it. When I put him in the cat carrier, the waterworks started again, and didn't stop for hours. I couldn't stay with him while they did it, I just couldn't do it. I talked to the vet, signed the paperwork, gave my kitty one last hug, and she took him away. I cried the whole way to work - a 45 min commute, and then some more when I got there. Sheesh. I'm not a crier, but it was waterworks city. Sick pets is not something I deal well with.

I know it was right, but I still feel awful. I'm finally able to post it today, because the tears have stopped. I am not over it, but am ok with it

Thanks for listening.

Nan

Nan, sooooo sorry for your loss :( I love my pets and can't imagine the time I have to make that decision. You did the right thing. (((hugs)))

Nan,
I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a sad experience to have to go through. You are in my thoughts.

Annette

{{{{Nan}}}}}
I'm so sorry about Merlin (didn't you post some photos of him before, or a photo as your avatar? He was a handsome black guy, right?).

It's SOOO hard to make the decision to euthanize, and I can assure you that, even when it is the right time, every time we have to make the decision we have doubts and regrets about it.

I find that sometiimes sharing stories of the good times, celebrating the life of the one who passed over, helps get over the grief of the loss (even though it may bring you to tears typing it out). If you'd like, tell us about Merlin's life a bit.

I'm a big cryer too

I felt the exact same way when I put my kitty down. My husband had to tell me it was time. And when I called him in from outside to take him, he ran to me. It still breaks my heart if I think about it too much. I cried A LOT. Don't feel bad at all. We put so much love into our pets, we're allowed to cry and mourn for them.

Just read your full story about Merlin and I'm in tears! I was a basketcase when I had to put my baby down in 2003. Keirin was only 2 and had the same twisted intestines. It was heartbreaking and I still get teary when I think about her.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Know that we are all here with you and Merlin will always be in your heart and memories!

Right decision

I am so sorry for your loss. I know first hand what it is like to put down your "companion" You truly did the right thing as his friend,

Karen

{{{{Nan}}}}}
I'm so sorry about Merlin (didn't you post some photos of him before, or a photo as your avatar? He was a handsome black guy, right?).

It's SOOO hard to make the decision to euthanize, and I can assure you that, even when it is the right time, every time we have to make the decision we have doubts and regrets about it.

I find that sometiimes sharing stories of the good times, celebrating the life of the one who passed over, helps get over the grief of the loss (even though it may bring you to tears typing it out). If you'd like, tell us about Merlin's life a bit.

Yup, he was the black kitty. He was the only cat I've ever had. I grew up in a dog house (well, not a doghouse :p) but DH always had cats and dogs. We got him as our first pet together, in our first apartment.

Attachments

• 006 - Copy (4).jpg
    006 - Copy (4).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 11
So sorry for your loss , our furry friends will always have a special place in our hearts..

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Years ago, my sister and I had to make the same decision with our kitty, ALSO NAMED MERLIN. It was awful! My deepest sympathies!

Heidi

Oh man, that is one of the hardest things to have to do. Sorry for your loss. May little Merlin RIP now.

((((HUGS))))

My heart goes out to you. We had to put down our 13 year old chocolate lab last June and our baby will forever be in our hearts. Let yourself mourn and cry and follow the process, which will eventually lead you to a time when you can smile when you think about Merlin because you know he is looking over you and resting in peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a terrible decision to have to make, but you had to make it and you made the right one. Your story made me cry, I went through a very similar situation a few years back. It's OK to just let yourself be sad and grieve. The loss of our pets can be just as devastating as any other.

(((HUGS))) I've been there so I know what you went/are going through. It's a very sad/tough situation. Time will heal you though and before you know it you'll think of your precious kitty and smile. Hold tight to those memories and he'll always be alive!

PS..I teared up just reading your post!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.