retracting scapula?

putz168

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I just received your Slow & Heavy series and I watched them once to see what was coming and to note your weight selections. While preparing for the double arm row, your instructions indicated to pull your elbows up along side the body, then "retract your scapula" and then do the exercise. How/why does that make a difference, and are there other exercises, I'm assuming particularly upper body, where the initial form may play a big role in the results? I'm not talking about things like keeping your elbows close to your ear on tricep extensions, but actual body posture before you start a movement...?

Thanks!

Beth

Hi Beth! The scapular retraction was put into this series as a way of eliminating momentum (as was the 10 percent tilt) so that you maximize the potential benefit of the slow lifting approach being used

:)

Well, aren't you the little sneak?! Kidding of course - and good to know. I have one week left on my current rotation before I begin October's that is heavy on the S&H series. Can't wait to start, and I really appreciate the importance you pkace on form and safety. From the looks of S&H, my arms will be toast after the first couple of workouts, rendering my typing skills useless, so I'll thank you in advance!!!!

Beth

Hi Cathe I just received my Slow and Heavy series a few days ago. I've avoided buying it until I just had to break down and get it for Octobers rotation. I did Chest and Back today. The form tips are great. I didn't know about the scapula tip either or about how to properly hold the weights for chest work.
Every day is a new day.
Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.