Resume help

sherryc

Cathlete
I'm applying for a new job and the ad stated that I need to apply in writing. Does this mean handwriting or a resume that's typed and sent thru regular mail. They don't have an email. I haven't applied for a job in years, so this is getting a little stressful. Thanks for your help.
Sherry

It means regular mail. Definitely NOT handwritten! ;) I am the one who receives resumes at my office and here's a few tips - make sure on your cover letter to state your interest in the "specific" job (don't just call it the "position" or the "job posting"). And then tell in just a sentence or two WHY you would be a good fit for that job. Don't use words like "think" - "I think I would be a good fit". Instead say "I KNOW I would be a good fit for this position because _______." You don't have to have actually done the specific job before, but show how a previous position has prepared you to be able to do this job. I'm saying all this because so many resumes get trashed because the person obviously has no idea what they are applying for and doesn't even attempt to show why we should hire them.

Yes, definitely a typed resume. Even when I apply electronically, I always send a hard copy in the mail. I suggest you do both. That way if they need to share your resume w/other decision makers they'll have an electronic version as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.