Replacing foods

naynay

Cathlete
I am a picky eater and don't really like any of the healthy foods. I don't eat super bad but I don't really like oatmeal or all that stuff. I normally eat like wheatables or wheat thins for lunch with a little bit of portwine cheese or some fruit but both of them have hydrogenerated oils and/or hfcs. I have no idea on how to go about replacing these food and many others to be able to eat healthy. I don't really shop organic because we don't have a whole foods near our house so we normally just go to giant and they have some organic stuff there but it cost a lot more. So I try to shop healthy but I guess its not really healthy because of all the stuff in them. I don't know what to do.:(

Hi :) a couple natural foods that I love: Back to Nature Crispy Wheat crackers. These are a natural alternative to wheat thins and to be honest i think they actually taste much better. I also love Florida Natural organic pocket fruit nuggets. These are little fruit snacks made from real fruits. I'm a big fan of kashi cereals and bars too.

My advice, make baby steps towards healthy eating. It can be overwhelming at first. But for me, each new healthy choice propmted me to search out another. At this point i'm on an all natural diet and I look back and wonder why it seemed so hard at first :)

Jenn

replace this

Hey NayNay

part of starting to eat healthier is giving your tastebuds a chance to adjust, like cutting out the salt, if you do it for a while, you'll notice when things are really salty....if you want to continue eating some of the same foods, try adding healthier (bigger portions of veggies I use frozen alot it's easy in winter) and limiting the high sat fat portions...learn to like salads, try leafy mixed greens with cranraisins, slivered almonds, and a little feta sprinkled over, or spinach & mushrooms with low cal honey mustard dressing topped off with a few bacon bits & fresh ground pepper

I been changing my old standby spaghetti & meatballs to vegan spaghetti & beanballs (made with kidney beans not meat); sloppy joes to snobby joes, made with lentils not meat ...both recipes from post punk kitchen/ & the cookbook veganomicon. there's also a delicious rustic mushroom & white bean casserole in that book that's taken the place of mac & cheese (I know what you're thinking...perish the thought!)

I've been adjusting my diet for a couple years, I'm not completely vegan or vegetarian, but nearing that:D

Give it a try! Just asking the question has put you on the right track;)

I really believe you need to shift your thinking. Instead of I don't like this and I don't like that, how about concentrating on what healthy foods you like and dig in?

You don't have to eat oatmeal or brown pasta or bland salad to eat healthy. There are tonnes of alternatives if you only allow yourself to believe that you are a healthy eater instead of a picky eater.

Check this site for ideas on healthy recipes http://www.eatingwell.com/ They give you AN IDEA of healthy eating - know that not everything they suggest is healthy. Do your research. Read your labels. Change your thinking and there is no way you won't succeed!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.