Rep Speed

AFgal

Will you be using a rep speed (2 up 2 down, etc) or will you be doing more of the slow, not with the beat of the music?

Thanks!

I hope it's 2 up 2 down. I hope the reps aren't off beat from the music.

*♥´¨)
¸ .• ♥ ´¸.•*♥´¨) ¸.♥•*¨)
(¸.•♥´ (¸ ;.♥•Jennie•♥

I'd actually like to see some "2 seconds up/4 seconds down' reps (which are what I ALWAYS see recommended in body building literature, but which I rarely see in videos---even those going 2-up are not necessarily 2 'seconds' up).

I'm hoping the exercises will lend themselves to our following our own pace, à la P90X.

Or 4 up and 2 down? Why would you want to spend more time lowering the weight than lifting it? What did your body building literature say about this Kathryn?

Clare

There is more muscle fiber recruitment in the downward motion of the movement (eccentric). Controlling the downward motion recruits additional fibers and pushes your muscle building results along.

I don't care about the reps as much as matching them with the music; actually, having the reps varied in each mesocycle sounds great to me.

But I'm too anal to not go with the beat. I love 4DS except for that.

We will use various tempo speeds throughout STS as just another tool to constantly confuse your muscles. Tempo will be listed on our website and in your handbook as a 4 digit number; i.e., 2-1-1-0. The first number (2 in this case) refers to the eccentric (negative) part of the movement in seconds. The second number (1 in this case) refers to the pause at the bottom of the negative stroke. The third number (1 in this case) refers to the speed of the positive stroke and the last number (0 in this case) refers to the pause at the end of the positive stroke. I know it sounds confusing, but it really is simple once you get used to it.

The greatest muscle fiber stimulation occurs in a stroke of no more than 4 seconds. Thus our rep speed or tempo as we call it, will usually be between 1 and 4 seconds. Sometimes we will pause and sometimes we will not. Our most common speed will be 2 seconds or less.

Since we encourage people to use our 1RM test in selecting their weights we want you to lift to failure in many of the sets you will perform. This causes several problems as far as music is concerned. First, as you begin to tire your rep speed will slow down. Second, different people will fail at different points during each set of an exercise. Some people may only be able to get 8 reps while others will be able to do 12.

There is no perfect solution for this, but we have what we feel is the best solution. Instead of Cathe following the music, the music will come and follow Cathe. This is not easy to do and requires some highly skilled technicians and musicians and is very expensive to do. But this how movies are actually made and this is how we plan on making STS.

Tempo Question

Chris:

Will I need to memorize this formula and pace myself, or will Cathe (or Cedie) count for me like she does in her other workouts? I am just wondering if I will need to continually pause and refer to the handbook or website. This system sounds very complex and technical.

I am excited about the lower body workouts after seeing the blog pictures tonight. I will finally get to use my gliding discs. :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: Tempo Question

You just need to follow along as always. Rep speeds are listed just so you will know what to expect. It really is something you need to know.

>Tempo will be
>listed on our website and in your handbook as a 4 digit
>number; i.e., 2-1-1-0.

Will this be listed on the workout card we print out from the web site?

Thanks,
April

If your doing STS it will automatically be filled in. If you're doing your own workout you will need to fill this information in.

"The greatest muscle fiber stimulation occurs in a stroke of no more than 4 seconds. Thus our rep speed or tempo as we call it, will usually be between 1 and 4 seconds. Sometimes we will pause and sometimes we will not. Our most common speed will be 2 seconds or less"

If this is so, can you explain why the S&H series uses a stroke of more than 4 seconds, i.e. 2 count to lower the weight, 6 count to lift it?

Just curious.

Clare

>There is more muscle fiber recruitment in the downward motion
>of the movement (eccentric). Controlling the downward motion
>recruits additional fibers and pushes your muscle building
>results along.

What she said ;-)

>If this is so, can you explain why the S&H series uses a
>stroke of more than 4 seconds, i.e. 2 count to lower the
>weight, 6 count to lift it?

You'll notice that the 'counts' aren't actual seconds (as in "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi"), but usually are faster than the equivalent seconds. I haven't timed it, but I'd say from guestimating that the 6-up count on S&H is about 4 seconds.

Having the music follow Cathe sounds great. It was a bit distracting during the 4DS, but I figured there was no other way around it. Leave it to you to find an even better way to handle varying rep speed. Yeay!

>Having the music follow Cathe sounds great. It was a bit
>distracting during the 4DS, but I figured there was no other
>way around it. Leave it to you to find an even better way to
>handle varying rep speed. Yeay!

Yeah for me too!! :)

Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.