relationship (both friend and romantic nature!)

Farah636

Cathlete
Hope it's ok that I'm posting this really off-topic post, lol, but I guess this is the place to put it, isn't it?

Well, here's my question. Burnt/broken bridges: mend or leave alone?
Context! Since moving away for college and later grad school, I've lost touch with my hometown friends. Initially, I'd say I didn't care a whole lot, but lately, now that I live farther away from home and have less-frequent-but-longer visits, I feel kind of alienated whenever I'm back home. It's like everyone is still tight/good friends, and I'm the only one that moved on/broke my ties. I feel left out. I'm FB friends with a lot of these people, but apart from that we don't really communicate. I sometimes wonder if it's best to just leave it as it is (maybe these broken relationships were just inevitable) or if it's worth it to try and reconnect with these old friends? (but, oh, the awkwardness! I feel like I don't belong anymore!)

One old friend in particular has been on my mind, the man friend! We grew up together, his mom was my pediatrician, and we were somewhat good friends. Thing is, I loved him. He was the first guy I ever loved. Pretty much the only guy I ever loved. I told him when I was 17, and was unsurprised, albeit crushed, when he didn't reciprocate. I cut him out of my life b/c I couldn't deal with the heartbreak.

It's been 10 years, so we're 27 now. I had eventually moved on, met and was subsequently screwed over by a number of other guys. Maybe it's this whole, missing-and-wanting-to-relive-my-past thing, but I've been thinking of him lately. Well, also, last year my mom was pestering me about trying to get together with him (she didn't know about my feelings for him as teens) b/c she thought we'd be a good match (pff. b/c we're both single and he's a doctor, haha) I brushed her off, but decided to FB message him anyway, just to say "hey, my mom told me she ran into you earlier...how've you been all these years?" or something. I never heard back from him.

So, you'd think that being ignored (I'm assuming?) would be sufficient reason to get on with life. But somehow I just can't. I mean, I don't pine over him every night or anything...I just...think about him now and then. Wondering what it'd be like to see him again, after all these years, to talk to him. Secretly wondering if maybe, just maybe, we needed 10 years to go by so we could grow up a bit and eventually reconnect? I even wrote a short story about it for my fiction writing class, in hopes that it would be therapeutic/help me sort out my emotions, turns out it screwed me up more, lol.

I guess I'm feeling the urge to attempt to reconnect with him again. Add him on LinkedIn since they keep recommending him to me...or take a bigger step and write him a real message on FB, more than "hey how's it going" but something more...honest/sincere. Course, I feel like such a move would make me seem...crazy? lol I guess I try to justify it to myself by saying it's not about romance, it's more me just missing his friendship (ex: I went to my first NBA game recently and wanted to tell him b/c when we were friends, he would've loved talking to me about it)

Long story short...is it ever appropriate/helpful to reach back and reconnect with your past? With friendships? With friendships damaged by unrequited love? If it's ok...how do you go about in it? If it's not...how on earth do you get past it?

Long story short...is it ever appropriate/helpful to reach back and reconnect with your past? With friendships? With friendships damaged by unrequited love? If it's ok...how do you go about in it? If it's not...how on earth do you get past it?

I'm twice your age, so maybe my opinion will be of some help just because I've "been there, done that" a few times in my life!

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but if he's ignored you twice (basically), I think that's a pretty good sign that he's not interested.

I understand completely how it feels to love/like someone who doesn't feel the same way. However, by continuing to think about it, and devise ways to connect with him, you're only causing yourself angst and worry and sorrow.

I think it's time to move on. We can't always choose who we care for, but we can choose how we behave and react to those feelings. You're very young. I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about this guy. There are so many more fish in the sea.

Sometimes I think with unrequited love, we form this perfect image in our mind of the person we can't have. They almost become even more perfect because of their unavailability. Trust me, while he may be a great guy, he's not the only great guy out there. Enjoy your youth and find someone who feels the same way about you that you do about him!

Good luck!

I think you're right. Actually, I woke up this morning thinking, "ugh, why did I post all of that? I *know* thinking about him in any way -- even in the context of friendship -- is crazy and should be avoided!!" I think maybe just feeling lonely, and recently hearing about him quite a bit (especially from my mom) made me revisit all of these old emotions, foolishly.

Thanks for your response. I definitely felt like I needed to vent last night!

That stinks! I had a similar thing in college, fell for a bass player, pined for him for four years, he married some other chick he had only known for two weeks, so I finally figured out: hes not into me. But, the best thing I ever did for myself was just not pining anymore. There is no reason to be desperate. Go out with your girlfriends, go to parties, go on meetups, be active, try a hiking or running group, do anything to meet nice, new guys, date lots of different guys. This will help get your Mom off your back and you might meet the right guy. There is no reason to pine. You're a Cathlete after all;)

I'm with the others on not pursuing the guy. As for your other childhood friends, the best way to have friends is to be a friend. Make contact, cultivate relationships. Your feeling awkward is just that - your feelings, not necessarily theirs. They may be pleased as punch to be around you when you're back home. If it's important to you you should reach out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.