Recommendations for guided meditation?

TexasLaura

Cathlete
My MIL is battling a very aggressive and resistant cancer. I have heard several suggestions that she try meditation to help strengthen her immune system. (I think I will do it with her). Neither of us knows anything about it.

Thoughts? Advice? Words of wisdom?

Anyone have suggestions on some CDs or audio downloads that we can start with?

Thanks,

Laura

I'm so sorry to hear that...if it helps these have been really useful, although I can't say I have experienced anything like your MIL, they're easy to follow and oriented for western meditation. All from Jon Kabat Zinn:

Full Catastrophe Living

Where ever you go there you are (this would be a great audio book)

Guided mindfulness Meditation Series 1

It's great you can practice with her. Take care.

There are some iPhone and iPod apps by Andrew Johnson that I really love - stress reduction, deep sleep, antidote to depression, etc. - about a dozen in all, there might be one for healing, not sure. They are a combination of meditation techniques and hypnotic suggestions. You can download one - "Relax Free" for free to see if it's your cup of tea. The others are $2.99 each (I think.) I really really love them, they take about 35 minutes, but you can program them to loop a few times while you sleep. Very relaxing and effective.

My favorite guided meditation is a free download. It does have a somewhat magical (pagan) bent to it, so please don't be put off from that (I happen to be a spiritual Christian.) Its called Ariel's Druidic Craft of the Wise Meditation, episode 'Healing Journey". Just do a search on iTunes. Its an mp3 you can play on your computer, iphone, or any other mp3 player. Its my favorite. Its guided, he talks you through a gentle light healing your energy centers and I have found it to be very helpful. I used it while I was healing from what could have been a terribly disfiguring fall. I believe that it helps heal by relieving the stress that we feel and gives our bodies the opportunity to do what they need to do without us being in a hyper worrisome state of mind.

I will send prayers and healing her way. Lots of love!!!

Alisha

I really have used and liked CDs by both Jack Kornfield and Bodhipaksa. Jack Kornfield has a 2-CD set that is called "Meditation for Beginners" and I still use it even though I've had it for about 5 years. I also have a CD by Bodhipaksa and think he is wonderful as well. He has one geared to healing on his "Guided Meditations" CD which I always find helpful when I am sick. I got these CDs on amazon. I am so sorry to hear about your MIL being so ill and hope she heals soon.

Thank you. Alisha and Ann. (a co-worker actually lent me her Jack Kornfield "Meditation for Beginners" this morning!)

Coincidentally, Dr. Oz's "column" in today's paper is about meditation aiding in preventing cancer (by reducing stress, therefore the patient has a stronger immune system AND reducing inflammation in the body-both making a person less susceptible to developing cancer) and being helpful in recovery from cancer treatment (via the same mechanisms)
Apparently, several scientific studies have supported this theory.

I am definitely going to do this with her, AND on my own. (I can certainly use a reduction in my stress level!)

Thanks everyone for your help in getting us started, your prayers and positive thoughts. I feel lucky to have such a great "support system"!

All from Jon Kabat Zinn:

Full Catastrophe Living

Where ever you go there you are (this would be a great audio book)

Guided mindfulness Meditation Series 1

Jon Kabat Zinn is my favorite too. Of all of the meditations I have this is what I always go back to.

NRG Woman - Did you know he, Jon Kabat-Zinn's, sent every member of U. S. Congress a copy of his book Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness?

I just saw a program on PBS/WITF that congressman Tim Ryan did called "A Mindful Nation" (explaining his book of the same title). He would like to see meditation/mindfulness practiced in our schools. The scientific studies are overwhelmingly positive on the effects of meditation - health - and healing. He clearly understands the value, I like Jon Kabat-Zinn's presentation of the practice as well.

The RFK quote he recited at the end of the program was very telling, and is as appropriate for this time in history as it was then.

Last edited:
Hi TexasLaura. I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law. I really like the UCLA Diana Winston guided meditations. These are free on iTunes. Just do a search for Diana Winston and scroll down to podcasts. I really like her voice and there is no music (which i prefer). I also like Jon Kabat Zinn's guided mediation (especially the mountain meditation), which I got from my local library, but truthfully I pull Diana Winstons out more.

Thanks for the continued input ladies. I am really liking what I have tried so far! I will definitely try Jon Kabat Zinn AND Diana Winston as well (gotta love a free download, too!)

Thanks to all of you for your help. I think I am a convert!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.