Recommendation for Tilted Knee Cap with Step

stepitup

Cathlete
Hi Cathe - Happy New Year!!

I have been dealing with a tilted knee cap for about a year and usually experience pain after doing high impact step and kickboxing. Since these are my favorite forms of cardio, it has really been frustrating/depressing not being able to workout the way I'd like. My question for you is how can I increase the intensity of the low impact step routines? They are already pretty intense, but I miss the anaerobic burn I used to get with some of the high impact/intensity routines. I thought about ordering the weighted vest to wear during these workouts. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Stepitup! I'm just curious if you have you seen a doctor for this? Have you looked into perhaps needing a lateral retinacular release? I'm certainly not saying you need this but I'm just curious if this was discussed in any way with you.

I'm also not so sure step of any kind is a good option. I really would feel better if you talked to your doctor and let him know of your workout schedule. Based on what he says I can most likely help you with an exercise plan/modifications. Keep me posted :)

Hi Cathe - Happy New Year!!

I have been dealing with a tilted knee cap for about a year and usually experience pain after doing high impact step and kickboxing. Since these are my favorite forms of cardio, it has really been frustrating/depressing not being able to workout the way I'd like. My question for you is how can I increase the intensity of the low impact step routines? They are already pretty intense, but I miss the anaerobic burn I used to get with some of the high impact/intensity routines. I thought about ordering the weighted vest to wear during these workouts. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Cathe - Thanks for replying!

I have been seeing an Ortho Surgeon for about a year. He doesn't seem to think it is too serious (he called it a slight tilt) and usually prescribes naproxin for two weeks to reduce the swelling I sometimes get. He never menioned a lateral retinacular release (I'll have to Google that!). His only advice was to stop doing lunges all together and to not go too deep on squats. He said I can continue with step and kickboxing but should wear knee braces which he also prescribed.

About a month ago he prescribed PT which seems to be helping. The therapist primarily focuses on building up my quad muscles (which I thought were pretty big already!!). She did not want me to do any step or kickboxing for 3 weeks but recently said I could give step a try with no riser and then one riser if I was not feeling any pain. She doesn't think kickboxing is good at all for my condition. She also said I could do wall squats with the ball.

Cathe, I'm really bummed because I have worked so hard and feel that I was at the best fitness level of my life. I also dropped from a size 12 to a 6 but I've creeped back up to an 8/10 since laying off cardio and LB weight work and the holiday eating has really done me in. To be honest, the only form of cardio that I LIKE is step (which I've been doing for about 15 years) and kickboxing -- I like anything that has a choreography feel. Any other cardio would definitely be more of a chore than treat, but I'm open to anything that will bring cardio back into the picture.

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer!

Oh, I also ordered STS so I've really been taking the LB weight work easy so that I can give it my all.

It's so hard when we have to stop doing something we love! I've had to take chunks of time off from running, and I have hated it! One thing to consider is that your body adapts to the same type of exercise when you do it for long periods of time, so maybe finding another type of cardio you enjoy will give your body that extra nudge and help you get back to where you were. Kettlebells are a great tool for incorporating strength and cardio into one workout. I actually got in the best shape of my life (looks and function) during a lay-off from running when I got into kettlebells. Since than I haven't looked back!

Hi, stepitup! Not Cathe, sorry, but I read your post with interest. I have osteoporosis and sometimes (!) have to back off the high intensity/step cardio, which I love (and my doctor approves of), because a hip or knee or ankle will start to hurt. Backed off 3 months one time and sure missed it - depressing, so I do understand. Cathe's "Low Impact Circuit cardio blast timesaver premix" and "Low Max" DVDs saved me. I also taught myself to "modify when needed" so I can do some of my favorite DVDs like "IMAX2" and "Step Blast". When I'm feeling fine I go all out, but I've learned the back off times allow me to do that.

I wish you the best and hope you'll be able to enjoy some "low impact high intensity" cardio which will work you very hard.

It's so hard when we have to stop doing something we love! I've had to take chunks of time off from running, and I have hated it! One thing to consider is that your body adapts to the same type of exercise when you do it for long periods of time, so maybe finding another type of cardio you enjoy will give your body that extra nudge and help you get back to where you were. Kettlebells are a great tool for incorporating strength and cardio into one workout. I actually got in the best shape of my life (looks and function) during a lay-off from running when I got into kettlebells. Since than I haven't looked back!

Hi Jan - Thanks for responding. Wow, it sounds like you have found an alternative that you're really happy with. It really is tough listening to the doctor when you really want to go all out, but I've been good for about two months now and was able to add back low impact step about two or three weeks ago. I've always wondered about kettlebells, but haven't really pursued it because if I don't like it I will have invested in equipment I won't use. But, I'll definitely take a second look at it. Can you recommend a DVD?

Hi, stepitup! Not Cathe, sorry, but I read your post with interest. I have osteoporosis and sometimes (!) have to back off the high intensity/step cardio, which I love (and my doctor approves of), because a hip or knee or ankle will start to hurt. Backed off 3 months one time and sure missed it - depressing, so I do understand. Cathe's "Low Impact Circuit cardio blast timesaver premix" and "Low Max" DVDs saved me. I also taught myself to "modify when needed" so I can do some of my favorite DVDs like "IMAX2" and "Step Blast". When I'm feeling fine I go all out, but I've learned the back off times allow me to do that.

I wish you the best and hope you'll be able to enjoy some "low impact high intensity" cardio which will work you very hard.

Thanks so much for your response and well wishes. LIC has become a favorite (matter of fact, I did that premix this morning;)) and I also do Low Max. I've also been modifying, but tend to *forget* and end up going high-impact which I pay for. I'll get there eventually:) I'm really learning to appreciate the lower impact routines.

Good luck with your osteoporosis.

Thanks so much for your response and well wishes. LIC has become a favorite (matter of fact, I did that premix this morning;)) and I also do Low Max. I've also been modifying, but tend to *forget* and end up going high-impact which I pay for. I'll get there eventually:) I'm really learning to appreciate the lower impact routines.

Good luck with your osteoporosis.

Good for you, stepitup! Low impact works; but you know, sometimes it just feels good to do a real jumping jack :D We just need to be careful how we land!

Trish, I might be able to help a bit (I hope).

Although I don't know exactly what condition "tilted kneecap" is it can't be too far from the chondromalacia that I have where the kneecaps track slightly out of the groove they're supposed to be in normally. In my case it has caused the cartilage under the kneecaps to fray somewhat so my knees crunch when I bend them. I assume your PT is having you work the VMO part of your quad because that's the muscle that needs to fire first for the kneecap to stay in the right place. Hopefully your PT also told you to avoid specific exercises like leg extensions or lunges as they're bad at least for chondromalacia.

What helps me even more just doing some hiking or long walks is that my PT showed me how to tape my kneecap and bring back over to where it should be with the slightly expensive tape that PT's use. It might be helpful to ask your therapist about doing that, it most definitely helped me to the point where I can think about running again. Well not that I ran that much before but now I can do it without inflicting more pain!

Hopefully that helps a bit get you back out there.

Bob

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.