recommendation for strength training w/o for seniors?

kristen

Cathlete
Hi,

My mom is 80, and thankfully, very healthy and vibrant. She hikes every day and her legs are strong. But she is noticing that she has lost a lot of strength in her upper body--she had some trouble recently lifting sort of an average bag of groceries. I can work with her on some good starter exercises for her upper body muscles, but I wondered if anybody here knows of a good dvd or vcs workout for seniors that focuses on upper body. She has some back issues, so I think she should be doing the workouts either seated or prone. She's pretty intolerant of super perky (she would see it as patronizing) personalities. Classical music would be a huge plus as the background music, but she can probably work around that. I'd like her to have something she can do when I'm not with her, for one thing, but I also know she gets kind of frustrated having me teach her something. Funny, since she was a teacher!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There's also a series of wkouts called "Older, wiser and wonderful seniors". It looks like they also include cardio. Check it out on total fitness dvds website. Good luck and hooray for your mom! She sounds awesome! My mom is 73 and sells real estate....she's the original energizer bunny......never stops going!

If you are looking for seated workouts, check out the Sit and Be Fit series (http://www.sitandbefit.org/index.php?page=store&category=video). This is one of the ones my Mom uses (she has some health issues that would prevent her from doing a standing workout). I *think* you can still find some seasons on PBS (?). But you could just go ahead and order one of the seasons and see what your Mom thinks. The reason I mention these specifically is that one of the reasons my Mom likes them is that the instructor, Mary Ann Wilson, is not a super perky personality. Mom says she is very pleasant and motivating.

HTH,
Stephanie

Does your Mom have access to Silver Sneakers? I know our local Y has some awesome sitting weight programs, as does our local township fitness center. And with SS it's all free or very low cost :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.