Really need advice - hairloss

icklemoley

Cathlete
At the moment i'm in a very upsetting situation in work. I have been suspended for something i didn't do. I am very very upset about the whole thing. Yesterday while i was putting wax in my hair and running my fingers through it i noticed that my single hairs were coming out. In total yesterday, about 30. I thought (hoped) it was the wax binding the hair together, today, when hair was washed and dried i pulled at my hair from all different places, most the top, and again, strands (single hairs) came out. Is this normal. Should i worry? Cause at the moment, with the stress i'm uder, this is all very upsetting....

Hi Wayne :) It very well could be stress...stress can cause just about anything, it seems! It could be a number of things, including male pattern baldness...I think I remember your saying that you're pretty young though, right? Do you know if it runs in your family at an earlier age? Or maybe it's the wax you're using...have you been using it for a while or is it new stuff? If you're really worrying about it though, I'd call your doc and have a check-up...good luck and take care. :)

Wayne, I don't want to be alarmist, but you could be getting some sort of hair loss condition that might be triggered by stress but might not be caused by it.

When I got socked with alopecia, a glitch in the autoimmune system that causes the system to treat hair follicles like foreign invaders and attacks them, I noticed hairs coming out every day, far more than I normally lost each morning. And a friend noticed a distinct bald spot on the side of my head about a week after I first noticed more hair loss than normal. (It's normal to lose a few strands every day.) If it's coming out all over your head, I would check with my doctor, AND see if there are bald spots around the head. It could be just a temporary thing, but it also could be alopecia.

Alopecia tends to hit people who have relatives with alopecia, OR other autoimmune conditions like asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and some others.

HTH - do some Googling on the subject and check in with your doctor.

A-Jock

Its not falling out in clumps or lumps. its single strands. Mostly from the top. Partically more when i use wax. If i bend forward and ruffle my hair, about 15 strands will fall into the sink.
but if i put my hands/fingers through it, like in a pinch, nothing comes out.

Well, I'm not speaking from experience here but when my sister went through a divorce and poverty a few years ago her hair loss was really scaring her. She's remarried now, happy, healthy and has great hair again! Stress could be your culprit.

Hi Wayne. I agree that you may want to see a doctor, but it sounds stress related. Have you ever tried Nioxin Thickening Shampoo? My dh started using it when he began losing hair and it has really helped alot. just somehting you might want to try:)
Sorry to hear about your suspension.

jes

The "loss" is mostly on the top part, and mostly only when i have product in. I like my hair very messy, and unkept. When washed, and hairdried, and only when i shake my head like no ones business, do i lose some hair. Now, washed, dried and with conditioner in, it isn't as bad.
No doubt stress. Some very untrue allegations have been made against me and i'm huritng like never before.

Wayne-

I've lost my hair more often than I care to recall. First, when I was 10, I lost about 7/8ths of my hair when I was diabetic and hadn't been diagnosed. It grew back during junior high.

The next time I lost it, I was taking a new medication that had alopecia as a side effect. At that point I only lost in 2 areas on my head, basically my hair was making myself a widow's peak. That hair grew in, giving me fantastic evil-looking wings. (I was not amused.) This seems to be where I lose hair based on a medication, since it's happened since then as well.

I'm currently losing my hair but I'm not going to see anybody about it- it's stress. All the docs I ever saw said, it's stress, but if you want to prove it to me (the doc), collect your hairs in a bag, because everyone loses hair on a daily basis, and that's probably what is going on. (They didn't seem to understand I was telling them I was losing MORE than normal...) So this time, I'm not taking any medication or anything, but I've been under tons of extraordinary stress over the past few months (law school, job, and a husband I don't see all combined), so it makes sense it's falling out. My hairdresser told me once (she loses her hair a lot too) that it can take 4-6 months for your head to get the message about your stress. I look at it with a "what happened 4-6 months ago" kind of analysis, because I felt like I lost my hair a few months after we got marries, too.

This is a long post, and I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm an expert by now! I've had all sorts of reasons, but now I just look at my hair loss as a way to gage what's going on in my life! I really hope that helps. I'd always go to a doc first, then go from there.

Wayne,

No advice on your hair loss, but I just want to say that I'm sorry that you are being accused for something you didn't do. It's happened to me before, and I know it's one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Good luck to you; I hope it all works out.

Wayne,I too have no advice on the hair loss. But I wanted to say I'm sorry that you are being accussed of something you did not do .It must really hurt .that has happened to me once before .It was awful .It took some doing to clear it up !! If you want to talk more .PM me .Hugs to you.Oh Also "Stick to your guns"

Hi Wayne. I'm so sorry to hear about your job stress. That does suck to be blamed for something you didn't do, and I can see why that is causing you stress. I agree with the others, this is probably due to the stress you are under.

I came across some info on what supplements can help with hair loss and this is what it says:

Protein - promotes hair growth
B Vitamins - promotes the health and growth of hair
Vitamin C - Aids in improving scalp circulation
Vitamin E - Increases oxygen intake which improves circulation to the scalp. Improves health & growth of hair
Zinc - stimulates hair growth by enhancing immune function
Copper - works with zinc to aid in hair growth

I would say to up your protein (either by protein shakes or by diet) and make sure you are taking a good multi-vitamin.

I hope this all passes very quickly for you and I am sorry you are going through this.

Take Care

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.