Read any good books lately?

DixieGirl

Cathlete
I haven't noticed a book thread lately so wanted to ask y'all what you are reading now, recently read or hope to read soon? I'm reading Gone Girl now, the first book I've read in months and I had forgotten how fun it is to curl up with a good book.
Thanks,
Tracy

That was a great book! I hear that they are coming out with a movie of it too. I just read the new "Bernie" book by Lawrence Block, "The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons" and it was right up there with Block's great writing and humor.

"Gone girl" comes out in theaters tonight!! It was a pretty interesting read with twists. I enjoyed it and will prob see the movie. I'm reading Pattersons "Private down under" right now.

Ohhh!!!! Books!!! My favorite thing!!!!! My recent 4 and 5 stars on good reads. And to the 2 posters above, I really liked Gone Girl, too. Beware, I read odd stuff at times.

Currently reading - Citizen Canine - so far, it's really good and interesting, non fiction
Recently finished -
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and Other Lessons From the Crematory, non fiction
The Miniaturist, fiction
The Tale of Dueling Neurosurgeons, non fiction
The Magician's Land, fiction, last in a trilogy
A Discovery of Witches, fiction. The first two were good, the last and most recent, was *meh*
The Witches Daughter, fiction
The Confabulist, fiction
The Museum of Extraordinary Things, fiction
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, fiction, NOT for everyone.
Missing Microbes, non fiction
Coroner's Journal, Stalking Death In Louisiana, non fiction
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, fiction, the older kids would like this one, too
The Once and Future World, non fiction
The Anatomy Lesson, fiction
The King, BDB series, fiction
A Nation in Pain, non fiction
Kill or Cure, An Illustrated History Of Medicine, non fiction
Gabriel's Rapture Trilogy, fiction, 50 Shades-like smut, with no literary value, but it was fun
Silent Spring, non fiction
Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One Of America's Leading Atheist, non fiction, not for everyone
Up From the Grave, last book in the Night Huntress series, fiction
Life at the Speed of Light, non fiction
Consider the Fork, non fiction
The Poisoner's Handbook, non fiction
Losing My Religion, non fiction, not for everyone
Reality Check: How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future, non fiction
Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of a Dog Who Knows a Thousand Word, non fiction

Those are my best picks so far this year. I did a lot of non fiction this year, I'm having a hard time finding a good story book.

Nan

I am probably one of the few people that did not like Gone Girl although I did like Gillian Flynn's previous 2 books.

I am currently reading Broken Harbor by Tana French. I have read 3 of her previous books and enjoyed them. They are mysteries that take place in Dublin. I read many foreign mysteries. Here are some of my favorites from the past year. Some of these are older books.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple
Reconstructing Amelia - Kimberly McCreight
Anything by Michael Connelly
The Stuff That Never Happened - Maddie Dawson
Tell The Wolves I'm Home - Carol Riftka Brunt
The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison
Rainy Lake - Mary Francois Rockcastle
After Her - Joyce Maynard
Anything by Henning Mankell (foreign mystery - Sweden)
Anything by Elin Hilderband
The V.I. Warshawski Series by Sara Paretsky
The Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton
The Motel Life, Northline, Lean on Peter, The Free - Willy Vlautin
Into the Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes
Anything by James Lee Burke

Lioness, I, too, am in the minority with you in that I also did not like Gone Girl. Just not to my taste.

I think I am rather late to this party, but I just finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I really got lost in it. (in a good way)

Wow!! I'm going to have to print this post! Other good ones I've read recently.... "The storyteller" by Jodi Piccoult, and "The secret life of bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I could go on.......

Thanks everybody for your recommendations. I haven't curled up with a good book in months. (it's time) Seems like the minute my alarm rings, I hit the floor running. I think tonight is the night. Again, thanks.

Nan, Jane you've both mentioned books that I have enjoyed....so I'll read some of your other suggestions! TLC - I liked those both - any other ideas???

I'm a member of a local book club - good reads over the last couple of months have included:

We are all Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler
The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet - Colleen McCullough (only makes sense if you've read Pride and Prejudice)
Police - Jo Nesbo (I like anything by Jo Nesbo, but they're a bit gruesome, so beware)
Revelation - CJ Sansom (a Tudor dective novel!!)
The Song of Troy - Colleen McCullough
The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Case Histories - Kate Atkinson
Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (very English humour - made all the more funny by the fact that at our book club we have a meal based around the book.....mmmm potato peel pie!)

I love "feel good" books that are fast and easy reads. In that category, I highly recommend The Walk series (5 books total) by Richard Paul Evans.

Lisa

I'm waiting for news of new Alex Kava books. I love her books esp her Maggie series.

I've been reading Alex Kava since her first book. I found her quite by accident. LOVE her! I eagerly await anything new from her too!

Just finished "Gone Girl". It was good. I am not a big movie goer, but find myself wanting to see how the movie compares to the book.

Well, I can't list them all because I read several books per week, but many of the titles I have loved this year are here on lists by Justine and Jane (Lioness). Write these lists down people!

Recently, I have loved and been rendered despondent by coming to the end of:

--Kate Atkinson "Life After Life" --bloody brilliant my friends, book of the year for New York Times
--"The Signature of All Things" by Elizabeth Gilbert, a triumphant return to good, old-fashioned story-telling
--"Shotgun Lovesongs" by Nikolas Butler
--all things Jo Nesbo and his lagubrious detective Harry Hole
--all novels by Tana French
--the Deborah Harkness trilogy: "The Discovery of Witches
--all romance novels by Julie Anne Long, funny, original, tender
--"The Vacationers" Emma Straub, not the light summer fare some have said it is, better than that, fine characterization
--"Longbourn" by Jo Baker: a kind of writing back to Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice": yes, Lizzie can walk through all the mud and dirty her hems, but who will wash those hems? How life is imagined and lived below stairs during the very same story of Lizzie and Jane Bennet. Fabulous book, adore it.

On my still-to-read list:

--"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt
--"Death Comes to Pemberley" by P D James
--"The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton

Clare

I agree with Clare and Justine regarding Jo Nesbo. I love his books.

I put down Broken Harbor (actually I was just getting ready to start it) when my sister finished Picking Cotton: Our Memoir of Injustice and Redemption by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Roland Cotton. The town where I live sponsors a "One Book" program where our local bookstore and library pick out a book for the community to read. Picking Cotton is this year's book. The writers are coming to lecture about the book on October 18th. My sister loved it wants to go to the lecture. I am reading it now so we'll both go.

Last edited:
Thanks for all these recommendations! Last good book I read was The Book Thief. I know it's a young adult book, but it was very well written and I highly recommend it. Right now I'm reading & Sons about an older gentleman and his 3 boys. So far so good!

Beth

W
--all things Jo Nesbo and his lagubrious detective Harry Hole

Clare

Yes! I think I'm kind of in love with Harry Hole :p

I agree with Clare and Justine regarding Jo Nesbo. I love his books.

The town where I lived sponsors a "One Book" program where our local bookstore and library pick out a book for the community to read. Picking Cotton is this year's book. The writers are coming to lecture about the book on October 18th. My sister loved it wants to go to the lecture. I am reading it now so we'll both go.

What a great idea - I may try to get something similar started here

Life After Life is an amazing book. Loved it so much, I've kindled several of Kate Atkinson's other releases. I have a whole stash of good new ones waiting in my kindle, from my favorite authors. Autumn is a great time for good releases from the publishers and I love that I can preorder on my Kindle and get a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the recs, here. I'm going to have to check some of these out.

The Kraken Project by Douglas Preston. The duo of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child is unbeatable, and they make Michael Crichton look like Mickey Mouse. I also read and reread all the Game of Thrones books. Although I do not agree with her philosphy, Ayn Rand is a great writer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.