Read any good books lately?

buffettgirl

Cathlete
I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See at Michele's recommendation and enjoyed it. I'm headed to the library this afternoon and a looking for suggestions. What good books have you just read?

I have to jump in here and say that the recommendation for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan came from the forum's resident librarian, Sparrow. I loved that book.

I just finished The Glass Castle, a memoir by Jeanette Walls. This is a great book and I had a hard time putting it down. It's about her family life growing up in abject poverty. They lived a nomadic lifestyle for many years before they settled in an impoverished mining town in W. VA.
Jeanette Walls is now a gossip columnist for MSNBC.com. Her rise to success is nothing short of miraculous and it just goes to show you how anyone can pull themselves up and be successful if they are determined and willing to work hard. A great read...very inspiring!!

I just finished a really fun book called "The Historian." It's a fictionalized account of the history of Dracula, it traces his bloodline up to the 1970s. It was a great read, I highly recommend it.

The Shadow of Desire, Rebecca Stowe
Astonishing Splashes of Colour, Clare Morrall
The Deep Green Sea, Robert Olen Butler
Autobiography of A Face, Lucy Grealy
Expecting Adam, Martha Beck
Bee Season, Myla Goldberg

Currently trying to get through Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (also author of The Women of Brewster Place, which I read a long time ago and enjoyed immensely). Am finding it hard to get through the first ten pages, but not because of the quality of the writing. The print is too damn small. I think I need new glasses.

Pinky

Pinky, thanks for the list. I read both Expecting Adam and the Bee Season and enjoyed them both. I tried to read Autobiography of a Face, but couldn't get through it. I did read a book about Lucy Grealy, written by a friend, that I liked, but I'll be darned if I can remember the name of the book or the author.

Laura, I'm not sure The Historian is my cup of tea, but it sounds like something my DS would like.

Michele, didn't you read Snow Flower? I'll look into the Glass Castle. Did you read Don't Lets Sleep with the Dogs Tonight? (I think that was the title?) Or Running With Scissors. Both good memoirs about strange childhoods.

I am reading Night by Elie Wiesel. He is the survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp. The story is about his memories and about the death of his loved ones. I am only 28 pages into the book but have been moved to tears already. Sad! It is a very easy read and only 120 pages.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Oh, I would love to read. I am developing a long Wish List of books to read "someday", beginning with The Year of Magical Thinking. Has anyone here read it?
-Nancy

>Oh, I would love to read. I am developing a long Wish List
>of books to read "someday", beginning with The Year of Magical
>Thinking. Has anyone here read it?
>-Nancy

Hi Nance--

I was interested in this book as well but was dissuaded by my best friend who said it was depressing and a little strange. She said it literally didn't make sense to her. It wasn't quite what she expected and she came away from it thinking the author could benefit from some psychotherapy. She wasn't trying to be flip--that was her heartfelt opinion and she's a very perceptive and discerning individual.

Robin, yes, I did read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan but it was Sparrow who recommended it on the forums. I didn't want to take credit that belongs to our resident bibliophile;). I thought it was a great story and I enjoyed the glimpse it gave me into the Chinese culture--something I don't know very much about. I never heard of the 2 books you mentioned (the titles escape me now--old age and brain farts no doubt;) ) but I'm going to look them up on Amazon. I love biographies and certain memoirs.

I'm going to have to check out some of Pinky's recommendations too.

:)

I love it when the topic turns to books, but that means I have more titles to add to my little notebook that I carry around to the library. It can be frustrating at the library too, cause all the great books you lovely ladies suggest seem to be the popular books right now, and I have to get on the holds list, and then what happens is all my holds seem to come in at the same time! UURRGGHH! Anyway, the last really good book I read was An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg...very lovely, feel good story. I also just finished My Life in France by Julia Child and her nephew, Alex Prud'Homme, which was also good. Julia is the reason I wanted to be a great chef and have my very own show just like hers.....haa haa. But seriously, she is the reason I love to cook and ended up in the food service industry. I watched her for years on tv...and I just think she was one funny, passionate about food lady.

Next on my list is the new Anne Tyler book: Digging to America. She is one of my all time favorite authors. Keep the suggestions coming, I've got lots of room in that notebook. I also want to read The Year of Magical Thinking....as do about 15 other people who visit the Chandler library!!

Donna

Anne Rivers Siddons.

I have read almost all her stuff. I really liked "Nora, Nora" and "Outer banks"

I love the Burglar series (Burglar in the Closet, Burglar in the Rye, Burglar on the Prowl) by Lawrence Block, they are pretty damn funny, especially read by Richard ferrone on book on tape/cd.

You have to read the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Laurie R. King. They are so much more interesting than Arthur Conan Doyle's version of Sherlock Holmes. A feminist approach. Mary Russell humanizes him. Start with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. My favourite is Justice Hall and the last one whose title escapes me.

I have also enjoyed Anita Shreve's "The Pilot's Wife"and "The Winter Wedding".

Happy reading/listening!

Clare

Pinky:

have you read Ann Patchett's account of her friendship with Lucy Grealy? It is excellent. Look for it on Amazon.com. Sorry I can't remember the title.

Clare

Donna-
I also want to read Digging to America.

Michlee-
Thanks for the input on YOMT. I am a bit concerned that it may depress me.

-Nancy

My 11 y/o daughter is an avid reader and really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I just finished the first book and I'm hooked! The book is about a 12 year old genius who is the first "mudperson" (human) to steal money from the fairies who live underground. Very well written and imaginative. If you like Harry Potter, you'll like these books.

Sue

I loved "Snow Flower" too. How about Sapphires and Garlic by ex New York Times critic Ruth Riehl (not sure of the last name). Sorry, I can't underline with this keyboard.

I'm reading this one too (Time Travelers Wife). I like it/don't like it but now I'm almost finished. It's very different but I think I like it - but it doesn't captivate me like other good reads.

Before that I finished War and Peace! Can you believe it, I never read that! It's one of those books, that you think...now why didn't I ever read that? (I know it's not for everyone!)

Jo

I just finished Digging to America yesterday - loved it! Of course I love all of Anne Tyler's books. Just started the Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. And after that I have Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning. Waiting patiently for a new Tempe Brennan novel from Kathy Reichs as well as something new from Andre Dubois, III, he wrote House of Sand and Fog which is one of my all time favorites. So many books....so little time :)

Lorrie

I'm a mystery fan, so probably not what you're looking for!! I do have a list from a former English professor that has great fiction through the years- I read The Shipping News and The Sweet Hereafter for his class, so I expect the list is just FULL of great books, even though they scan a few decades. PM me and I can email it to you (once I find it!!).

War and Peace - very impressive. Not even the Cliff Notes but the real deal!

I can't even think of the most serious book I've ever read...you know, the kind that is on the "most important books to read" list but nobody ever does.

Jane Green's "The Other Woman". Just read it. If you need a light, almost dessert-ish-type read, pick up any Jane Green book. Her earlier books dealt more with single life and dating, etc., and now her books deal with babies, marriage, etc.

I just read "The Other Woman" because it came out in paperback (maybe once I hit bank, I'll start buying hardcovers!), but her newest is hardcover "Swapping Lives", both available now.

I'm lacking Swapping Lives, but every other book has been such a treat. She's known as the "queen" of chick lit if you're not familiar. My book club even did a phone chat with her last year (http://www.janegreen.com/photogallery.htm), I'm on the far left. (gotta brag, she's my fave)

Currently, I'm reading The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. Though this one's way heavier than any Jane Green book, I love her detailed writing and can tell this will be an addictive book!

Cheers!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.