Re: Depression check in

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicia17

Cathlete
Wow Cathe, I am surprised at you! I have looked to you, your tapes and this forum for support on a daily basis. And although,I don't post often, I found this check-in something I have been needing get off my chest for a long time. Knowing that other people have had the same experiences made me feel better. I was hoping that we could discuss our issues and maybe help each other. There are other women/men who discuss, losses, health issues, etc. But I guess "depression" does not fit into this category. I don't know if I can look at you, your tapes, or your forum in the same light again.

I think you are being a little dramatic, but anyway, Cathe took care of it. I think that so many of us feel connected here on the site, and that was just one more way to connect. Talking about depression is not always a negative thing, it can actually be something very positive.:)

Susan

Hi, Susan

When you say 'Cathe took care of it', are you referring to her canceling the checkin or did she post something else I haven't found yet.
Thanks IA,

Kim

Ahhh...okay :)
I wouldn't have been confused if you had said she 'ixnayed'(sp?) it.

Does anyone else use that 'not' word...ixnay - mean to quit something, to kill it, to stop it....:+

I hope Janice is good.

Janice....((((hugs))))

(((alicia)))

I'm feelin' ya', honey. Maybe we could start a checkin geared more toward what positives we are doing to help pull ourselves up each day.

Maybe Cathe would find that more appropriate since physical fitness is sooooo important for combating depression and the hopeless feelings we have.
I know it helps me feel better...like I fought against something and beat it. Quite impowering.
Just a thought. Again, hugs to you and holla if you wanna talk :)

I too am extremely disappointed that Cathe would choose to cancel a check-in that promises to provide so much positive support for forum members. Mental health is an important component of physical health and fitness. Indeed, the very depressed find it hard to make themselves exercise, so it would seem detrimental to us all to cancel a forum where positive support can be found to help oneself get back to exercising again. People post on these forums about varicose veins, sexual matters, colonic irigation, tummy tucks, diet pills, various different plastic surgeries and all manner of dangerous or needless practices which one would think went against Cathe's fitness philosophy entirely.

Cancelling this check in, when those who suffer from mental ill-health are already socially stigmatized, is an ill-thought out move.

Clare

Guys I don't think Cathe would cancel it if she did not have a good reason to. Depression is a very serious problem which needs to be discussed with a professional.

One reason I could thik of is that somewhere along the line a person might suggest an antidepressant that works for them or give some advice that will hurt the other person.

I understand why you might be upset because I suffer from depression myself, but I really believe that Cathe is only doing this for our own good.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe we still could get some advice from each other on the open forum tho.......

Kathy

Maybe you can start some kind of Yahoo group for Cathe fans who need depression support? It would probably be more private than on an open forum as well.

Good luck.

Erica

Please understand everyone that I am not suggesting that depression is not a welcome topic on the Open Discussion Forums. I am just saying that I do not want this to be a continual Check-In (please see my post copy and pasted below from the Check In forum)

As you can see from this copy and pasted post, I stated that my greatest concern was that this topic would wander into territory that is best left to clinical experts.

I agree, it might seem at first glance that a depression/anxiety check-in would be no different from lots of other things discussed in the open discussion forums. And I'm happy to say that we're a compassionate group and very good at offering cyberhugs, prayers and solid support, to our friends in need. But when it comes to true clinical depression, we aren’t educationally qualified to give sound advice to someone who’s asking for help in handling, coping, or dealing with their depression or anxiety. Having a daily or weekly check-in of this nature would without a doubt, intentionally or non-intentionally, invite that kind of unskilled advice. I'm simply not comfortable with that.

What I am comfortable with is keeping the open communication that we have encouraged in our open discussion forums. Over the years we have respectfully discussed many non-fitness related topics in Open Discussion, and in that light, depression is no different. We all have days where we need a major pick me up, a good vent, and or to simply know that somebody is listening to us. We are hoping for some friendly words of encouragement, inspiration, or even have someone tell us they know exactly how we feel.... just to feel a little bit better about ourselves and or our situation. Please, feel free to continue to be there for each other in that capacity.

I am sure that some of you may not agree with my decision to not have an ongoing Depression/Anxiety Check-In, however I still thank you for listening.

Take Care Everyone

MY COPY AND PASTED POST FROM THE CHECK IN FORUM
Hi Everyone! Thank you for your interest in wanting to start a depression/anxiety check-in thread, however, we do request that the check-ins remain on fitness related topics. While I'm sure our moods have a direct reflection on our fitness capabilities, I would like to keep our check-ins supportive, encouraging, and uplifting as we strive towards our fitness goals. I'm sure that this topic can be one of encouragement and support to some degree but, given the nature of the topic, it is inevitable that it will visit some questionable territory and go beyond the scope of fitness. But even more concerning to me is that it will wander into territory that is best left to clinical experts.

Therefore, I have decided against having a depression/anxiety check-in...certainly not to diminish anyone feeling this way, rather to keep our community focused more specifically on fitness.

Thank you in advance for working within our forum guidelines.

I agree that this forum is not the place for an anxiety/depression check in for several reasons. Everyone is unique and different, and offering advice on depression/anxiety can be dangerous. THere is a definite correlation between the mind/body/spirit, yet we as a group are not qualified to offer "medical advice".

We can offer advice on physical health through fitness, and this is an awesome place to share ideas/concerns. I would worry that the depression/anxiety check-in could potentially lead a reader "astray". Well intentioned comments can be misinterpreted, as we all know.

I believe Cathe is saying that mental health IS important and we should all strive to improve our mental health through fitness and support of fitness on our forums. I feel just the opposite towards Cathe for not allowing the check-in. It is an "unpopular" thing to do, and I know she has our best interests at heart. Thank you Cathe!

I have a son who suffers from anxiety/depression and we deal with this as a family on a daily basis. He is getting the professional help he needs, support from his family and friends, and is on medication. We talk with him and do everything in our power to give him the tools to improve. He has a lot of work to do himself, and needs our support. I understand the need to share ideas and get support, I just think that it should be with people who "really know you" or a medical professional.

Thank you Cathe for keeping the forums "safe".

I have dealt with mental illness in my family and can tell you that well meaning advice from people who think they are in the know can be very damaging. Encouragement is always a good thing but counseling really should be in a one on one professional environment. Cathe is right on.

Cathe's position is a very wise one.

Clinical professionals have certain standards they must maintain when dealing with mental health issues for many, many reasons. Not to mention disclosure that may do harm later....things that may seem useful and harmless now can be harmful later.

Cathe's decision is a VERY wise legal one as well.

Lorrie

Pain is temporary - quitting lasts forever
Candace Grasso, CC-V-6

I agree with Cathe. I also don't understand why you would think that she is not supportive of people who are having problems with depression. Her reason for canceling the check-in is excellent. Clinical depression is very serious and can completely distort one's way of looking at things. It is not necessarily wise for someone suffering from clinical depression to take advice from an "amateur," no matter how well-intentioned.

Let's let Cathe focus on what she does best - coming up with super-challenging and FUN workouts! I love the new DVD's!

"As you can see from this copy and pasted post, I stated that my greatest concern was that this topic would wander into territory that is best left to clinical experts." Quoted by Cathe above.

I am a bit confused because I have read posts at this forum where people are giving non-expert and potentially dangerous advice regarding other medical and health topics. I don't understand why non-expert advice is okay for those topics and not for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.