Re: As Seen on Tv-50 Years of Fitness on Television on FitTv...

JerseyCurl

Cathlete
Ok, Cathe what gives?? I just finished watching a 2 hour show on FitTv about the last 50 years of Fitness on tv. The show encompased the last 50 years of fitness informericals, shows, videos, gadgets, pills and icons. Everyone from Jack LaLane to Billy Blanks to Richard Simmons to Susan Powter to Tony Little to Kathy Smith but no CATHE FRIEDRICH??? Um... what is wrong with this picture? Although, I love Billy Blanks but Kathy Smith and no Cathe Friedrich???? I was watching the show and thinking where the heck is Cathe!!!! Ugh, sorry just had to vent.x(

I'm not Cathe, but I'm hazarding a guess that the dumbed-down fitness infomercial / gadget / pill / icon schtick that's made a mockery of the true practice of fitness is a tad beneath our beloved Cathe.

A-Jock

I'm in agreement with you, A-Jock (apologizing to Billy and Kathy Smith fans). I'm glad Cathe's not featured in between commercials toting gadgets galore.

I'm also glad she's not a permanent fixture on the QVC channel (I remember someone posting that she'd seen something of Cathe's on QVC, but I think it was just the step/high step that included one of her workouts; she wasn't actually advertising her workouts).

I know what you mean though, JerseyCurl. Cathe's the best and we want recognition for her!!!

>I'm not Cathe, but I'm hazarding a guess that the dumbed-down
>fitness infomercial / gadget / pill / icon schtick that's made
>a mockery of the true practice of fitness is a tad beneath our
>beloved Cathe.
>
>A-Jock
I would agree but this was not a show like that in that it acknowledged the bad and the good in fitness in the last 50 years. I was just peeved that FitTv of all people (who carry her shows and are very, very popular) would not even include Cathe in the good section.

>I'm in agreement with you, A-Jock (apologizing to Billy and
>Kathy Smith fans). I'm glad Cathe's not featured in between
>commercials toting gadgets galore.
>
>I'm also glad she's not a permanent fixture on the QVC channel
>(I remember someone posting that she'd seen something of
>Cathe's on QVC, but I think it was just the step/high step
>that included one of her workouts; she wasn't actually
>advertising her workouts).
>
>I know what you mean though, JerseyCurl. Cathe's the best and
>we want recognition for her!!!
Yes, I think my main beef was that Cathe has been a fitness icon for close to 20 years. I mean what does the girl have to do to get some respect, you know what I mean.

I think my main beef was that Cathe has been a fitness
>icon for close to 20 years.
Yes, but to a rather limited group of people, until more recently, when she had TV exposure on FitTV.

Kathy Smith and Richard Simmons and the other instructors mentioned are all sold in major retail outlets, many of them for a LOOONG time. They are definitely more recognized by the general public than Cathe. (With the possible exception of Susan Powter, but I think she might have been included for the "whackiness" factor a bit!)

I'm not a fan at all, but it seemed like Denise Austin was also not included. Nor was Tamilee Webb and the "Fitness Pros," who had a show for several years (and most of them went on to make workout videos).

>I think my main beef was that Cathe has been a fitness
>>icon for close to 20 years.
>Yes, but to a rather limited group of people, until more
>recently, when she had TV exposure on FitTV.
>
>Kathy Smith and Richard Simmons and the other instructors
>mentioned are all sold in major retail outlets, many of them
>for a LOOONG time. They are definitely more recognized by the
>general public than Cathe. (With the possible exception of
>Susan Powter, but I think she might have been included for the
>"whackiness" factor a bit!)
>
>I'm not a fan at all, but it seemed like Denise Austin was
>also not included. Nor was Tamilee Webb and the "Fitness
>Pros," who had a show for several years (and most of them went
>on to make workout videos).
True, you do have a point. It just seems weird to include Kiana Tom and Carmen Electra but no Cathe.:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.