RDA of Potassium

Mckmain

Cathlete
With your Nutrition software, I have a hard time getting good grades in Potassium...;)...So I started looking up foods that had Potassium. I knew bananas did but I did find some others too which was nice as I know more foods to eat now!! I also found on some of the websites that the RDA for Potassium was 3500 mg. Your software shows the RDA for Potassium at 4700 mg. Do RDA's change? I wondered if I was looking at old data on the websites I went to?

This is a good question that I would like to know the answer to. We discussed this in another thread, and that I'm aware of it hasn't been addressed.

Here's a nice web site I found about different nutrients in food, including some good recommendations for getting potassium in your diet. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90#summary

They also mention that some people need higher levels of potassium. Like those that routinely participate in intense exercise. I wonder if the levels have been bumped because most, if not all, Cathletes that use this system are engaged in such?

April

Last edited:
Just want to give this a bump. I'm wondering, too, as I've been struggling to get decent grades in this department.

Potassium and our Learning Center

With your Nutrition software, I have a hard time getting good grades in Potassium...;)...So I started looking up foods that had Potassium. I knew bananas did but I did find some others too which was nice as I know more foods to eat now!! I also found on some of the websites that the RDA for Potassium was 3500 mg. Your software shows the RDA for Potassium at 4700 mg. Do RDA's change? I wondered if I was looking at old data on the websites I went to?

The correct amount of Potassium for you is 4700 mg, not 3500 mg. The RDA value you see listed on a package of food is an average value for all age groups and genders, not your personal requirement. The Nutrition information you see for foods in our Nutrition database all come from the USDA, but the requirements you need come from the Institute of Medicine. All USDA values are based on averages obtained from the Institute of Medicine, but use an average value for all age groups and genders. Obviously, there are different requirements of “Potassium” for children, adults, seniors, males and females. The Nutrition software on our site is unique and superior to most other programs in that it uses the much more accurate Institute of Medicine values based on your gender and age.
We provide a complete “Learning Center” so that you can see the science and research behind our Nutrition software as well as educate yourself about Nutrition. Let me show you how you can learn more about “Potassium” using our learning center:
First, Click on the “Learning Center” Icon you see listed on the first page of our Nutrition software page.

Learning%20Center.JPG

Next, click on the “Potassium” link you see under “minerals”.

Potassium.JPG

Next click on “Function” listed under “Background information”. This will show where the figure of 4700 mg (4.7 g) comes from.

launch-4.7.JPG

This will bring up information from the Institute of Medicine” about Potassium requirements.

4.7g.JPG

Next, under the heading of “FINDINGS BY LIFE STAGE AND GENDER GROUP” click on the age group that applies to you. This will also bring up information about “potassium” requirements that you might find interesting. There are also several other links you will see in the “Learning center” that make it easy for you to learn almost anything you want to know about our program and nutrition.

age.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you so much SNM for the detailed answer! I love the software BTW...:)

I will now go to the Learning Center and read more about Potassium and maybe other things too. I got to 4258 mg's today in Potassium, so I am getting there...:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.