Raw Food Diet?

baylian

Cathlete
I posted this in the open forum forgetting that there is also a nutrition/diet forum.

Anyone ever try it or know of someone who tried it?

It interests me - from many standpoints - weight loss, well being and cancer.

IMHO - many of the cancers today are caused by the over processing and preservatives of and in our food.

Please don't flame - just looking for thoughts.

Hi,

I looked into the raw food diet a while ago because I was very intrigued with it as well!

It is a great diet to be on, however, I think it might be hard to meet the protein requirements, if you try to get about 30% of your calorie need in protein.

I can tell you from my own experience, that I modified the raw food diet to eating raw for breakfast and salads for lunch, but cooked meals for dinner. It is hard to put your whole family on a raw diet, and I don't feel like cooking separate meals...:)

My energy level was up when I was doing it but I tired of the salads after about 3 months.

What I have focused on more now is eating clean. Eating clean advocates eating your foods in the least processed form possible but it does allow cooking them, although raw is always better if you can do it.

The benefits of clean vs raw is that you can add dairy, lean meats and good veggies that just wouldn't taste good uncooked, like sweet potato, yam, and you also can add oatmeal, rice, that kind of thing.

I haven't done a cost comparison, but I think if all you are going to eat is raw foods, it might make your grocery bill go up, although you would save money on not buying meats and such. The other thing is that you would have to eat big portions of everything to not go under your calorie needs.

That's just what I have thought about it as I explored the topic. I hope it helps. But I'm sure there are people out there who know a lot more about it and might even correct me, since I don't know all that much about it.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I discovered raw food about three years ago. There are a few raw food restaurants in the city where I live. I have learned to make many recipes and typically they are quick to make. I have made many cakes, pies, sauces, pasta, chicken salad etc... you need a dehydrator to really get into it and many recipes call for nuts which are expensive. the food is great and you really feel great and your skin looks great as a result. you can start with juicing, then vitamixing and consider taking books out of the library for inspiration.

i hope that helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.