Raspberry Red Leaf Tea

willowe

Cathlete
Hi All,

A couple of women have recently recommended Raspberry Red Leaf Tea to me. Apparently, you start taking it (either as a tea or you can buy a herbal preparation of it) about 2 months before your due date and it helps encourage the uterine contractions during labour, and can make labour easier and less painful.

I just wondered if any of you guys have any experience of it? Obviously I would check with my GP/Midwife before taking it, but apparently it is completely natural and safe.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Hi Kaz,

I think starting Raspberry Leaf two months before your due date is too early, please check with your Midwife, they normally recommend it from about 35-36 weeks, onwards.
It helps to strengthen the uterus, therefore making labour run easier, smoother and more efficiently. It can also help with painful period pains, so therefore very good post - pregnancy (check about breastfeeding, here).
I used it before my second baby's birth, and I think it did help, I had a much easier, controlled birth as opposed to my first labour. I also took it before my third baby was born, and again it was very effective.
Be warned, I spoke to some Mums, who took it before their first baby's were born, and some claim it put them into early labour (36-38 weeks), and their baby's were born earlier than expected. but was it the herbal remedy or just Mother Nature ?
And, Kaz, I challenge you to find the actual tea in Britain !!!!!!!!!!!! I looked just about everywhere, and could only find the capsule version at our local, friendly high street health food store !
I have a nice little excerpt from my one and only herbal book, which is a Culpeper guide, called 'Herbs and Health' by Nicola Peterson, and she writes that' the remedy has a soothing, astringent action, that is good for sore, inflamed throats. It is also beneficial for the female reproductive system, it can be taken before and during menstruation to ease discomfort and improve the efficiency of the muscle of the womb. Also, in the last month or two (ooo, I have learnt something new, my Midwife advised me to start it around 35 weeks, still best to check though) of pregnancy it will help to tone the womb in preparation of labour and birth. It may also assist during the week after the birth to help the womb return to its normal condition (as will breastfeeding). She also offers a CAUTION which is ' it should not be taken during pregnancy until the last 2 months, because of its possible muscle-stimulating effects'.
My period pains are chronic at the moment, so I might give Raspberry Leaf capsules another go, to coincide with my Evening Primrose capsules.
When I approached my Midwife about Raspberry Leaf, I thought she would condemn it, but surprisingly she was quite encouraging about me taking it, and said a lot of women do.

I would check though with your Midwife as to which week you can start it !

Hope you are taking care Kaz, and hope this was of some help !

Anna :)

Everyone's suggestions are so very different, and there are always new studies coming out to say something to the contrary of what we're first told! LOL! I say this to share that my midwife has me make a tea from loose red raspberry, oatstraw, nettles, and alfalfa from the moment of conception. It supplies many nutrients and can be enjoyed by the whole family for it's nutritional benefits. This is my third pregnancy using this, so it's all I know, I guess, and I personally haven't had any problems. (((((HUGS))))) to you, as you decide what's right for you and your wee blessing! sandi

Thanks Anna and Sandi!

Anna - I'm hoping it is more widely available here in the UK now, because several people have told me about it and have said they got it from their local health food shop. Thanks for the info though - really interesting. I have also heard that it can possibly cause an earlier labour, but one of the women who recommended it to me said that, although her labour was earlier (37 weeks), it was a much easier labour than with her first. Again, you don't know how much of this is down to MN and the fact that she had already had a baby, and how much is down to the tea. Do you know whether the Tea is more beneficial than the capsules, or does it not make any difference?

Sandi - you're not wrong about how information changes! It can be really frustrating sometimes! If we listened to every piece of "new research" that came out, we would end up eating and drinking nothing at all for fear that it was going to harm or kill us, LOL!! Hope you are keeping well with your pregnancy?

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Hi Kaz,

When I enquired at Holland & Barret, the assistant told me that pregnant Mum's favour the capsules more, because of weird taste buds in pregnancy. She said, some Mums couldn't stand the tea, but you could add some honey in it to make it more palatable. I asked my Midwife about the difference between the capsules and tea and she said they were both the same, so it is down to personal choice.
I have to admit, I am going back over 3 years when I first bought some, and the internet is better now, so you will probably have better luck finding the tea. The pregnancy magazines used to run an advert for the tea, but could I find it ?? I took the capsules, but for some strange reason, the capsules come in two different strengths at H & B ? Which I found bewildering, I took the smaller dose capsule.
I wonder if Whittards sell the tea ? I think if I had been faced with the tea and the capsules to choose from, I think I would still have gone for the capsules. My taste buds were very weird while pregnant !!! LOL :7

Hope this is some help !

Anna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-02 AT 02:14PM (Est)[/font][p]WHOOPS ! INTERNET PLAYING UP !

Here's what babycenter.com says about it:

"Is it true that raspberry tea can bring on labor? Herbalists maintain that it can. Red raspberry leaf, they say, helps relax the uterus and induce contractions. But Sam Page, a natural products chemist with the FDA, counters that while the agency hasn't seen any evidence of the herb causing toxic effects, no proof backs up the belief that it's a safe labor aid either. The bottom line? Use common sense and talk to your medical provider."

From everything I've heard, I wouldn't take it until you're about ready for your labour to begin. If it actually does stimulate contractions, I'd be afraid for you to take it before you're ready to pop that baby out. If you want to see the full article about herbal teas during pregnancy, here it is:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregnancynutrition/3537.html#3

Kaz, please keep in mind that lots and lots of natural things are far from safe, pregnant or not. I think you're doing the wise thing to hold off until you get more information about the matter!

Happy gestating everyone!!

I agree, Foolofatook - Kaz, I would wait until you are around 36 weeks before taking it, so if you go into labour at 36 weeks, then it is not as bad as going into labour at 33-34 weeks, just to err on the side of caution :)
Having said that, Rapberry Leaf is something that has been used for donkey's years, way back when Midwive's were the local (good) witches with their natural remedies.

Anna :)

*THANK YOU!* for asking about me, Kaz! I'm good and should have about three weeks left, tops. According to my midwife, November 1st was the point it became safe for us to homebirth. Now we wait...and CLEAN! LOL! All is very well, save a nasty bout of hommorhoids. (NEVER have I known such pain, but it's now under control. WHEW!) If anyone has a problem with this, I am now an expert! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) and hope you (and everyone else!) are doing well. sandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.