Ranking types of exercise for best results

Vee

Cathlete
The obvious answer is of course that we need to cross train with all types of exercise.

But what if you cant fit it all in? What should you do for best appearance related results (not heart health, not functional fitness)?

If I were to boradly categorize exercise into:
a. Cardio
b. Weight training (including with kettlebells)
c. Non weighted muscle conditioniong like barre or pilates
d. Yoga
what gets best results?

For me, I would pick in order of enjoyment:
Most preferred: d
Next preferred: a and b

In terms of results (weight management, shape, "tightness") though, it is clearly c for me. I get better results when I am cross training with other forms, but nothing quite gives me the same results when I pick just one as weight training. If I do nothing else but weight train for as often as I can for the length of time I have in each session - even just 2x per week, I do best with weight training.

I prefer b or c more than anything else. I have just gotten into barre/pilates and am loving it. I just feel so good afterwards and even my abs are looking and feeling better. My absolutely least favorite is cardio. I used to love step and now don't want to do it at all. I know that because I just did it today and while I finished I was not having fun like I used to. Have also gotten back into doing yoga--just once a week--and that feels good. Those days of intense cardio are over for me.

Technically, it's simply the workout/activity that you do. If you enjoy it, you'll do it more, and get better results.
Beyond that, I would say circuit training and power yoga. They both tone and condition while getting your heart rate up, as well.
(not that I've even been working out lately - it's been a solid month with nothing!) I suck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.