Random Rest Week

ricklyk1

Cathlete
Is it okay to take a random, unplanned rest week? I have been working out consistently since August 2010 and really kicked it up a notch in October 2010. I’m finishing up a six weeks cardio intensive rotation (with at least 2 days of weights as well) and thought maybe a rest week would benefit my muscles, especially my heart. I don’t plan on being totally inactive but focusing instead on lower intensity cardio (walks around the neighborhood, step portion only from cardio and weights, etc.) and yoga/pilates. If I take a rest week, will I be undoing all I’ve done for the past few months? Any thoughts? TIA!!!

Lots of people (but not me! LOL) take a rest week at regular intervals so if you want to take one after such a long run of work outs then go for it! They say it is beneficial to add active recovery into your routine and suggest you do it after each new rotation or exercise program (some longer programs have their own recoveries built in as well). You will certainly NOT undo everything. You should come back stronger! It can definitely be a hard concept to wrap your mind around when you work out hard several times a week though so I understand your concerns with it. :)

Thank you all!! I don't know why the thought of a rest week sends me into a slight panic! I feel better now that I have reassurance from Cathletes. :) I'm really looking forward to walks outside in this beautiful weather (if it sticks around for a few days).

Yeah I need to throw in a rest week here and there. I keep working out taking 1 day a week to rest but some weeks I'm so tired (like this week) but force my way through it. I think part of it is that I have some co-worker stresses right now that I'm trying to ignore :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.