Raloxifene

bonjonbart

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
Do any of you (post menopausal) have any experience with Raloxifene? My endocrinologist is suggesting it for me. I am 55, post menopause - one year, have had two bone mass density tests in the past 5 years. Both showed osteoporosis, especially prevalent in my spine. I am a healthy eater -lots of vegetables and calcium rich foods, vitamin D normal, weight train and do impact cardio in addition to cycling. My weight is in the normal range and my blood pressure is normal. All my blood work ($2K worth!!) and 24-urine collection tests were in the normal range.
Because I am now in menopause, his concern is that I will lose too much bone density in the next couple of years since it's not that great to begin with.
He feels this is the least potent option with the fewest side effects. I'm always hesitant to get on any medication, but I don't want to have my spine crumble or break a hip in 15 years either!
Thank you for any feedback you might have.

I know nothing about this drug. But I would research the heck out if it, research alternatives, weigh the pros and cons and decide. Based on what you have told us so far, I would start taking it now. There are things I don;t want to risk and mess around with: worsening osteoporosis is one if them.

Clare

Thanks Clare. I did research it like crazy and the endocrinologist said this is a better fit than estrogen. He actually made me a chart with 6 different medications, listing the pros and cons and side effects. The side effects of Raloxifene include increased hot flashes - mine are minimal at best and a couple of his patients had muscle soreness - HA! Like DOMS? That wouldn't bother me. He said to Google it and also Google SERM - Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator. The SERMs block the estrogen from going to the breast tissue, unlike estrogen. That's a concern because I've had some breast biopsies in the past.
I slept on it last night and am feeling that I should call him back and ask for a prescription. He is very conservative, which is why I liked him in the first place. He would schedule a follow up appointment in 3 months to see how I'm doing. He has already scheduled a bone mass density test for fall of 2017, too.
Yes, I am leaning towards getting on this. Longevity runs in my family and if I'm going to live to be 95+, I don't want to be a crumbling bag of bones.
Thanks again, Clare, for chiming in.

Thanks Clare. I did research it like crazy and the endocrinologist said this is a better fit than estrogen. He actually made me a chart with 6 different medications, listing the pros and cons and side effects. The side effects of Raloxifene include increased hot flashes - mine are minimal at best and a couple of his patients had muscle soreness - HA! Like DOMS? That wouldn't bother me. He said to Google it and also Google SERM - Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator. The SERMs block the estrogen from going to the breast tissue, unlike estrogen. That's a concern because I've had some breast biopsies in the past.
I slept on it last night and am feeling that I should call him back and ask for a prescription. He is very conservative, which is why I liked him in the first place. He would schedule a follow up appointment in 3 months to see how I'm doing. He has already scheduled a bone mass density test for fall of 2017, too.
Yes, I am leaning towards getting on this. Longevity runs in my family and if I'm going to live to be 95+, I don't want to be a crumbling bag of bones.
Thanks again, Clare, for chiming in.

Based on everything you have said here, I would go for it with an unqualified and most declarative YES!!! SIGN ME UP!! Seriously, I would not hesitate. I totally agree with your reasoning and would reach the same conclusions as you. Do it, don't look back. Proceed with confidence: this is the very definition of 'informed choice.'

Clare

I'm very suspicious of all super calcium drugs. There are just too many downsides to taking them. That said, your situation sounds extreme. I am in no position to recommend that you take it or don't take it.

I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years back. I really never changed what I did... taking a regular calcium supplement, making sure my diet is rich in calcium and lots and lots of weight training. If you are already doing those things, and your bone density is still that bad, I would use my best judgement combined with my doctor's advice.

Do you know what your T scores are? Just curious. Also, I would absolutely get another scan in a year and see what the scores are then. It would be wonderful if you could come off the drug at that point.

Hi JeanneMarie,
I'm very suspicious and anxious about any drugs, too. The "heavy" drugs such as Prolia, Fosamax, Reclast, Boniva, all have more serious side effects in the 5-7 year range. My doctor said if I were 80 years old and had a history of broken bones, he would advise one of those drugs.
The Raloxifene is more moderate.
My osteoporosis was diagnosed while I was still in menses and confirmed again 3 years later. The doctor did not want to discuss any medication until I was in menopause (I am now) and after a full blood and urine panel, which showed I am healthy as a horse!

T Scores in 2012 were:
-3.2 lumbar
-2.4 hip
I was advised to start taking 2000 IU Vitamin D. My Vitamin D levels have always been on the low side of normal.

T Scores in 2015 were:
- 2.5 lumbar
-1.7 hip
So there was improvement solely on the Vitamin D increase over the 3 year span. Now that I've stopped menstruating, he explained there is will be a significant reduction in the formation of bone calcium in the next 5 years.

The next BMD will be in 2017. It will be my first BMD post-menopause. I have an appointment in 3 months for blood work and a visit with the endocrinologist to check my Vitamin D levels especially. I am truly curious to see how this all plays out.

Thank you for your thoughts. This is a great conversation.

Interestingly enough, I saw my doctor today for my yearly checkup and we had the "bone density" conversation. My scores were not as low/high (I forget how they are read) as yours, and she was happy with what she saw from 5 years ago. I was through menopause at that point too, so I feel pretty good that they probably haven't changed much. She said my spine was great... the only minimal loss she saw was in my hips. I won't be due another scan for a while since I had one at age 55.

She also told me that recommendations have changed in the last few years. She said only about 25 to 30% of your calcium should come from pills. The rest should be diet. I'm pretty good about that, so she was pleased. Oh, and she said that Vitamin D was good, just as you are taking. I also take it, and have been for a while.

She also said one of the best things I am doing is working out...using weights, body weight exercises and weight training. I was so happy to get a good report on everything... at 60 years old, the best thing I can do is maintain my good health!

Good luck to you!

Thanks JeanneMarie. I'm glad you had a great check-up and report. I love when that happens.
I am fortunate that my doctor feels the same way! He is pleased with the amount of calcium I get in my diet: milk, cheese, greens, yogurt, and the weight training. I cycle quite a bit, so he worried about me not doing anything to "impact" my bones. I told him I do high impact training (thanks Cathe) and he breathed a sigh of relief. "Keep banging on those bones!" he said.
You know I will!

Yes, my situation is unusual since I do all the right things, which is why he ordered a full lab panel and 24-urine collection last year to rule out any rare diseases or syndromes because I should not be losing all this calcium.

I have to admit that I was rather annoyed with my body for failing me. :rolleyes: I'm in foreign territory here. The only prescription medication I've taken was for my colonoscopy preps.

I certainly agree that we need to be pro-active in taking care of our health by eating quality foods and exercising - weight training and cardio. Always the first line of defense!

He is pleased with the amount of calcium I get in my diet: milk, cheese, greens, yogurt, and the weight training. I cycle quite a bit, so he worried about me not doing anything to "impact" my bones. I told him I do high impact training (thanks Cathe) and he breathed a sigh of relief. "Keep banging on those bones!" he said.
You know I will!
@bonjonbart
Reading highlighted above made me think of my love for athletic step and Plyo:);). I will keep on banging on those bones:p:p too.

Heavy training and impact helps gaining and improving bone density. Be positive and hopefully you will get some great news.
I do not relate to the topic, not as yet. I am reading both yours and Jeanne Marie comments collecting some information.

Take care:)

@bonjonbart
Heavy training and impact helps gaining and improving bone density. Be positive and hopefully you will get some great news.
I do not relate to the topic, not as yet. I am reading both yours and Jeanne Marie comments collecting some information.

Take care:)

Thanks Nathalie.
I can't even begin to imagine what condition I'd be in if I had not been active throughout my life! I am truly happy that I've been banging on those bones and building strong muscle for years. Really and truly happy. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.