Quitting Smoking & Exercise Advice

greybird

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have learned a lot reading through the questions and answers. Can't think of a better place to get expert advice. I've decided to quit smoking after 2 years. I've always taken care of my health until I went through a rough divorce (an all-too-familiar story). I'm 43 years old and been active most of my life. My plan is to begin training seriously while at the same time stop smoking. I am 5'8" and 113 lbs. My goal is to increase muscle and become a little leaner. Like most people considering quitting smoking, I'm concerned about the weight gain that I've heard about. I eat clean already, and hope that the proper exercise formula will prevent an increase in fat. Can anyone recommend a training program? Has anyone quit smoking and not put on fat? I'm currently easing back into exercise by running 30 minutes 4 times/week. I'm convinced weight training is the key. Can anyone give me advice? Thanks for the help!

Hi greybird,

I don't have any training advice as to how not to gain fat after quitting smoking but I can tell you that even if you do gain a few pounds the benefits of quitting make it so worth it.
I quit 2 years ago (smoked for 20) and with regular exercise and sometimes watching what I eat I gained about 7 lbs. If I REALLY watched what I ate I could probably lose those pounds but I'm not overweight (5'2" 140 lbs.) and am most of the time content where I am. Maybe that's a product of being in my 40's - looks are important but not QUITE as important as 10 years ago.
I just like feeling good.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but the 7 lbs. don't bother me that much when I think about how much better I feel, my house and clothes don't smell anymore and I'm saving quite a bit of money!

Good luck!
Annette

greybird-

I have smoked off and on (mostly on) for 25 years. The last time I quit smoking, I had gained a lot of experience as far as what not to do! You probably already know this, but don't substitute candy, gum, etc for that cigarette. You never really end your craving, you just substitute for something else. And you end up increasing your calories, because you have still have that oral fixation and usually end up fulfilling it with something to eat. Drink lots of water!

The good news is, by really watching what you eat and keeping up with your exercize, you can quit without gaining weight. I did it at age 46. Plus you will feel so much better when you exercize. Even if you do gain a few pounds, don't give up - you are much better off. It might take your body a while to adjust. It took mine almost 1 year. You can also try a different exercize routine that might work better for your body once you get rid of the nicotine.

Good luck!

nancyg

Annette & Nancyg,

Thanks for the encouragement! I just needed to hear that if I do the right things, I still won't end up looking like a whale! I can deal with 7 lbs. I'm not sure if the weight gain people talk about is from substituting food for cigarettes, age-related lifestyle inactivity, or if the nicotine does something to your metabolism. I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

Good for ALL of You!!

SMOKING KILLS YOU. It's that simple. A few extra pounds don't kill you.
My mother and sister are both in their graves at ages 53 and 39 respectively because of smoking. I'm 50--still here. Don't smoke.
What other motivation is there??!!

RE: Good for ALL of You!!

Greybird, at 5'8", 113 pounds you needn't worry about weight gain. You're slim and it's a fallacy that you gain weight from quitting smoking. It's usually due to replacing smoking with munching and that's within your control. Smoking does increase your metabolsim somewhat but you can compensate for that by gaining muscle mass. You would have to gain 150 pounds to get near the health risks you have from smoking! But you sound like you have all the components in place to suceed.
I quit 8 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did! My advice to you is to be sure that you have a strategy to handle some of the things you deal with when you quit smoking. A craving only lasts a few minutes whether you smoke or not. Keep that in mind and be prepared to take a walk or a shower or eat a carrot stick when one hits. There's nicotine gum, patches and inhalers as well as something called Zyban to help with cravings. Have you talked to your doctor to check those things out? Also, announce your intentions to friends and family and ask for support. My dad died from cigarettes and they stole his very breath and it was an awful way to die! You sound like you enjoy a fit lifestyle. Quitting will only make it better! Good luck and keep us posted!
Bobbi
Chicks Rule! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/chicken.gif

When I quit smoking I was an avid exerciser and I decided to eat a clean diet and I didn't gain 1 pound.

The people who I know that quit smoking and gained weight did it because they ate everything and anything and didn't exercise.

At your height and weight I don't think a few pounds would even make a difference.

Good Luck and you will feel so much better if you quit. I know I Did!

Thanks everybody for your encouragement. Glad to hear that people out have quit and not put on 20+ lbs. I know it's the right thing to do. I'll keep you posted.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.