Quick Question - No barbell!

damienbp

Now that people are finishing STS, I'm going to be starting it.. The thing is I need to start keeping costs down in getting the necessary equipment. I don't have money right now for a barbell and a bench press and I hear you can do STS with only dumbbells. I was wondering if anyone did STS with only dumbbells and how they found it.

Also, for those of you who finished STS, how did you end up doing the pull ups...with the resistance tubing? Which one(s) should I buy?

Thanks!!!!!

You don't need a barbell as long as you have dumbbells that challenge you. I have both but some days I truthfully don't feel like getting out my barbell and fidgeting with it and have used dumbbells and still felt it.
I did get the blue tubing and the red tubing. I was think I would start with the blue and work my way up to the red. Apparently I am stronger than I thought as the blue was not a challenge and neither was the red. I read a post on here about using them together and that works great for me. I really like the tubing, it is very well made and hooks over the top of the door. Nice and quick and easy. Doesn't feel like it is going to snap like some other tubes I have had in the past from other companies. A very good investment.
Vicki

I agree that you don't need a BB... I have two (one straight and one bicep curl), and have not used either much for STS Meso 1 or 2, except for a few times with the bicep curl bar just for giggles... I find DB's much more comfortable on my elbow and wrist joints...

do what works for you and Cathe says throughout, you can substitute DB's anywhere you wish!

ETA: I used an over the door attachment for tubing for pull/chin ups, and when that got a little too easy, I added tubing through the same holder and grabbed the ends with the handles, much like Cathe does when she does the barbell curls with the band... it makes the resistance much harder! It's just a little challenging to make sure you hold onto both ends!

Last edited:
I used dumbbells also, and I felt like I was getting a good workout. I do wish I had a barbell though, but I don't have the space for it. Just make sure you have enough weight to challenge you. I also puchased the Iron Gym for pull-ups. It's $29 at most drug stores and locks in over your door. I used tubing when I did p90X last year, and I really don't think you get the same workout with it that you do when you do the actual pull-ups.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.