Quick Appetizer or Dessert Idea

dogs2birds

Cathlete
I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but I must move quickly (read: I'm too lazy to search), so I'm posting to you all. I have to take either an appetizer or a dessert to a little party this weekend and I'd like it to be healthy and very easy to make (see above lazy comment). I was just going to wait and look later (lazy), but now they want to know what I'm bringing so that if there are any holes, they can fill them.

So what are your favorite, EASY (lazy) ideas?

Thanks!

(Lazy) Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Here's a great one I just found from my Simple & Delicious magazine:

Pizza pinwheels

1 tube reduced fat crescent roll dough
1/2 c. reduced fat cottage cheese
a few handfuls of fat free or low fat mozzarella
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 c. fresh peppers
1/4 c. fresh mushrooms
any other filling you want (we used chopped low fat ham)

Mix together filling ingredients in a bowl. Make four rectangles out of the dough (seal perforations). Put filling down the center of the rectangle (long way) and roll up jelly roll style. Do this for each square and cut into circle wedges. Lay wedges on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10-15 (just keep an eye on them). Serve with marinara sauce. Yum.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

I would put it back on them and ask what others have said and if YOU can fill in holes... but that's just me! I'm always looking for a way to make others decide (e.g., I will say "what kind of nationality do you want to eat for dinner" and then suggest off that)

Anyway...
PUMPKIN PIE CAKE
Ingredients
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9 X 13 inch pan. (preferably metal) although I used glass.

2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eaggs, sugar, salt, and pumpkins pie spice. Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

3 Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin micture. Melt the butter or margarine, and drizzle it over the cake mix. Sprinkle walnuts over the top.

4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until done.

SHRIMP CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
Soften an 8 oz. block of cream cheese and spread in bottom of serving bowl/dish. Cut up as many of those small frozen shrimp (that have been thawed) as you want (about a cup or so) and add to about half a bottle of chili sauce along with about a tsp. of horseradish. Chill that mixture for a while to blend flavors and get it cold. Serve with "Sociables" crackers or whatever you've got.

(this one is not the easiest, but it is incredibly yummy!)
ONION TARTS
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups thinly sliced onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 pound goat cheese, crumbled
1 sheet (15 by 10 inches) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions start to wilt, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool completely. In a mixing bowl, combine the onions and cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. With a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut 24 rounds of the puff pastry. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, prick each round randomly with the tines of a fork, and brush with the beaten egg. Spread a tablespoon of the onion mixture on each round, leaving a 1/8-inch border. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve warm.

HTH!!! :9

A vegetable tray can be easy if you choose just a few easier veggies. How about just grape tomatoes, baby carrots, green peppers and cauliflower? When I'm lazy I just buy dip and/or hummus.

or

buy shrimp cocktail and cocktail sauce

or

My favorite lazy and heathier dessert is fruit salad. This time of year it would probably just be pineapple and whatever berries (blueberries or strawberries) looked nicer.

Good luck,
iris123

Sorry Suz, I have nothing to add on topic. Just wanted to say that your avitar is the cutest thing! That Gizmo sure is a show stealer!!!:+

I got this one from my MIL....SUPER easy!!!

Crab Dip
1 8oz block of softened RF cream cheese
1 jar (don't know the size) cocktail sauce
1-2 cans lump crabmeat

Spread the cream cheese out on a pie plate. Drain the crabmeat and mix with cocktail sauce, spred on the cream cheese. That's it! Serve with crackers, celery sticks, whatever!

Chicken-Artichoke Cheese Spread (Southern Living Christmas Cookbook)
3 c diced, cooked chicken
2 8os softened cream cheese
2 c shredded Parmesan
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained/chopped
1 c finely chopped pecans
4 green onions, minced
1 TBL lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stir until well blended. Spoon into bowl or loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Cover and chill for 8 hrs. Invert onto serving platter and serve with crackers/veggies.

Chutney-Glazed Cheese Pate (SL CC)
1 8oz soften cream cheese
1 8oz block cheddar cheese, grated
3 TBS dry sherry
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 9oz jar mango chutney
3 green onions, sliced

Mix first 5 ingredients together in large bowl until well blended. Spread onto serving platter. Cover and chill 8 hrs. Spread chutney over cheese and top with green onions. Serve with crackers/veggies.

Dressed up Cream Cheese (SL CC)
1 8oz block soften cream cheese
2/3 c whole berry cranberry sauce

Pour cranberries over cream cheese and serve with crackers or gingersnaps.

I am looking for a dessert recipe that I can't seem to put my finger on. It's another one with cream cheese, but it's sweet and rolled in OREO cookie crumbs, looks like a cheese ball and you serve it with graham crackers and cookies. I'll post it when I find it!

Okay, found it!

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball (Taste of Home)

1 8oz pkg softened cream cheese
1/2 c softened butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 TBS brown sugar
3/4 c mini chocolate chips
3/4 c finely chopped pecans (or chocolate cookie crumbs)

Beat the first 3 ingredients together until fluffy. Gradually add the sugars in and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover and chill for 2 hrs. Place mixture onto plastic wrap and form a ball, chill for at least 1 more hr. Just before serving, roll in either pecans or cookie crumbs. Serve with graham crackers or sugar cookies.

I just made this last night. My 9 year old requested this instead of cake for his birthday:9 Very easy to make and fairly low fat and calories.

GRAHAM CRACKER CAKE

*make (2) 3.4 oz. or small packages of instant vanilla pudding using only 3 cups of milk (instead of 4 on directions)

*then blend in an 8 oz. container of lite or fat free cool whip

*in a 9x13 glass pan, line bottom of pan with graham crackers

*place 1 layer of pudding over graham cracker bottom using half of the pudding mix.

*line another layer of graham crackers on top and again layer with remaining pudding mix.

*refrigerate overnight (so graham crackers get moist) and top with lite cherry filling

You can also top with blueberry, raspberry, or whatever your favorite berry filling may be. I suppose you could even use fresh berries if you prefer.

I just tried this with fat free cool whip - usually I use lite cool whip. I suppose you could also use skim milk with the pudding as well.

Yummmm

:9

How about some pita crips and an assortment of veggies with hummus? There's all kinds of really great hummus recipes out there now--my favorites contain garlic and or roasted red peppers. You could even buy the hummus and a veggie tray. It doesn't get any easier than that, or much healthier for an appetizer!

You can mix a can of lemon pie filling with a box of angel food cake. Just those two ingredients, don't use the actual ingredients that the cake calls for.

Spread into a greased jelly roll pan and bake for 20-25 minutes on 350. Dust with powdered sugar when cool.

Super easy and low fat.

Jen

You guys are awesome!!!! Thanks so much. These are all great ideas! Now I just have to choose one. I think I'm gonna print them all out though for future use. :)

Thanks Wendy. We're using that for our Christmas card instead of the other one I posted. I must say though that YOUR avi is pretty adorable too. But then I've already told you that and you already KNOW that! :)

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.