Questions for runners (long)

tmrclvlnd

Cathlete
Hi,
I am starting a running program. This is the history...I've started out with the first week run 2 minutes, walk 4 and progressing from there. The problem is, the book I got schedules running 5 times per week. I can only run 2, possibly 3 times per week. I also can not schedule my runs. I have to get them in when I can - depending on DH's schedule.

I do videos in the afternoons. Perhaps I do PS Legs and Abs and DH comes home from work and says "sure, you can run tonight but I'm busy for the next two nights." So, can I run on the same day I weight train my legs? The same question applies for a day that I did an interval cardio - can I run the same day I do one of those? It might be the only opportunity I get to run for the next three days. It simply is not possible to plan my runs - I have to squeeze them in whenever I have time.

Another question - I run about an hour after supper - so should I eat very light or skip eating with the family and eat after I'm finished with my run? I ate a light supper and got a sideache - I didn't know of that was from eating or because I've never run before.

Yet another question. The book I got gives a 10 week progressive program but schedules runs 5 times per week. I can only run 2-3 times per week. I thought the best thing to do is stick with the run two minutes walk 4 minutes until I do it 5 times and then move on to the lext level. That would extend the program to about 15-17 weeks, depending on the number of runs I get in but I want to do this gradually and not get hurt. Does that sound like the best plan? Even if I can do more I don't want to because I don't want to get hurt, overtrain or get burned out.

I'm totally new to this running thing and really want it to work. Any advice or personal experiences you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tami

Hey Tami,

Congrats on starting a running program! Just wanted to share a little of my experience with you. I started a running program myself in April of this year, and will be running a marathon in 3 more weeks. At first, we started off with running 5 days a week. A few things happened, such as constant knee pain, loss of cardiovascular capacity in other sports (like Cathe, oh no!), and loss of muscle. So, we decided to up our crosstraining, and it has worked out very well. For the past four months, we have run 3 times a week and lifted weights, done cathe, kickboxing, ect. Personally, I found I was starting to burn out on running. I do often have to do my runs on the same day that I lift for legs. I found that it as too hard to run right after I had lifted. So, we moved all our lifting into the AM, meaning we have to get up at 5:00am every morning, and do our runs after work. This gives me all day to recover from lifting. Make sure you give yourself enough time to recover during the day, or I think you may find yourself lifting too light to really challenge yourself or having a very difficult time keeping up the runs. Good luck!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-02 AT 01:58PM (Est)[/font][p]What book are you reading for running.....I would be intereted in getting onto a running program also...any recommendations??
Thanks
Jenn

What book are you reading for running.....I would be intereted in getting onto a running program also...and recommendations??
Thanks
Jenn

Hi Jenn,
The book I've seen recommended the most was Non-Runners guide to Marathon Training. Unfortunately my library system didn't have it and has a small budget so couldn't order it for me. Instead, I got The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik.

I was very impressed with it because she doesn't say running is the end all and be all - she also recommends weight training 3 times per week and gave some general but IMHO sound advice on nutrition. She gives a 10 week program on how to run for 30 minutes straight in 10 weeks that I think would be very doable if I could run 5 days per week. She also gives advice on how to start racing and marathon running. I really enjoyed reading this book and found it very motivating.

I got a couple others from the library but this one really stood out from the other books and I recommend it.

Tami

I would definitely recommend buying the book: Non-Runners guide to Marathon Training. I have it. It is REALLY good. It helps non-runners begin running for the first time from the musculoeskeletal to the psychological...really great.

Blessings from Our Home to Yours, Runathon

Thanks so much for your recommendations....I called our bookstore but neither one have any record of that book....Non-runners guide to marathon training...they asked if I knew the ISBN #...that would be on the back cover of the book....
If you could check that out for me I would really appreciate your help...
Thanks in advance.....
Jenn

Running!

I can't answer all your questions, but I will say that for me, running 5 days a week is way too much! I'm young, fit and have been running for years. I used to run 4-5 days a week and my knees would ache and my legs would get so tight. I know it depends on how much your body can handle- I'm small boned so that may have something to do with it.

Anyway, running is a great workout but intense, especially if you add hills or intervals. Wearing a HR monitor, I can see my HR get super high. So 2-3 runs a week is plenty, especially when you do other cardio. If you really want to run on a day you've already done cardio or weights, just make it an easy day- jog on flat roads. Try to do 2 easy cardios. Be sure to stretch a lot too since your leg muscles will get really tight.

I haven't read the book, but I'd modify it to match what you can do, even if it takes longer. You don't want to overdo it and end up getting burnt out or injured! Good luck- and I'd recommend getting a HR monitor if you don't have one- it really helps you pace yourself.

RE: Running!

Thank you so much for your replies. I really want to do this - have always wanted to and I am relieved to hear that a lot of you only run 3 times per week. That is doable for me - talked with DH again tonight and worked out something that will be acceptable for both of us. If anyone else has anything to add about starting their running program it would be appreciated but I am thrilled with the feedback I received!

Thanks again - Tami

Hi!

That sounds like the EXACT same run/walk program I started with back in 1994. I got it from a Shape Magazine. Anyway, I only ran 3-4 days a week, and was able to progress each week to the next level.

If you have to run on your lifting day I would take the next day off if possible. You'll be raring to go again the day after that.

And about the eating, I can only eat something light an hour before running. I also cannot drink too much. I think I am hydrating myself, but I'm just setting myself up for major side stitches. Try eating a small amount of carb and protein at dinner, and make sure you eat something after your run too. It will do wonders for your recovery. I learned this by trial and error. Also, after you start in with runs longer than 30 minutes you may want to scheudule times to sip water. I bought a camelbak and can't believe how much better I feel when I take a sip every mile.

I know this got long, but I love running...as well as Cathe and my other vids! I have a 5K Saturday, and my first 10K in October. Once you start running you may want to try out a 5K race. You'll either love it or hate it!

Have fun!

Andrea

Haven't really been able to come to the Forums in a while, but came on today and saw this post. Just wanted to say good luck to you. I started running last year - when we got a dog -- I would head out the door at 4:15 and jog 4 miles with her. It was great. Unfortunately the dog had to be put down (I'm not going to even go there...) and it was very sad. Couldn't even bring myself to WALK the route without her. So - back into Cathe I went. Unfortunately too I must run at 4:15 or so in the morning as I'm on a very early train into the city, and I have been advised by the local police dept. when I asked that a woman should never run alone in the dark. SO, As I leave in the dark and get home in the dark I find I can only run once a week. That said -- I am running in my first official 10-k race tomorrow (Cow Harbor - anyone else?). I am very excited, but know that my time will not be what it could have been had I been running more all along. Suffice it to say I'll be happy to finish between 62 and 65 minutes and (Long story not very short) Just want to say that a) running is , IMO, HARD, but b) the rewards are tremendous. Good luck to you and keep it up!

Kathleen

RE: Book Information for Jenn

Hi Runathon...
Thanks alot for all your help....
I live in Canada...about 20 minutes north of Toronto...so to order through Amazon.com would be a killer with exchange so I was checking out the canadian site...chapters.ca...and could not find the book...howver I went to that site amazon and they had all the info on the book that I needed...and I ordered it locally!!!
I can't wait to get the book....
I have tried running a numbers of times in my life....only by time not by distance...and at my peak run...I was ionly going maybe 35 to 40 minutes.....Then I found by knees and front of shins would cramp up....wondering if it was the way I would run...or what...but I am going to read this book ....and give it one more good try!!!
Thanks again for all your help!!!
Jenn

RE: Book Information for Jenn

You are welcome!!!!!:-jumpy

Jenn, you will not regret this purchase! This book is a keeper and will explain everything about running and how to avoid the mistakes we make as beginners (running). I suggest you do not buy a new pair of running shoes until you read the book. It will tell you how to go about buying your shoes.

Let us know how things go with your running and how you like your new book once you get it.

Blessings from Our Home to Yours, Runathon

Hi Tami!

I've rarely run more than 3 times per week, but feel I've progressed steadily. I have Dagny Scott's Complete Book of Running for Women which is good. I think the Kozlowski (sp?) someone else recommended is even better (I borrow it from the library).

I started with a run/walk program. When I got to the point I could run 30-40 minutes comfortably, I turned 1 run into a "long run" & generally add 5 minutes. Sometimes I plateau or focus on other activities, but I'm up to a 10 mile, 90 minute run. I keep my other runs in the 25 - 40 minute range. I do cross-train.

There are lots of resources on the web, starting with the Runners' World website. Several forums with helpful, supportive people (like here!). Runners World magazine is terrific.

I'd have a very light snack about an hour before running & eat dinner after your workout. You don't want to run on empty but don't want to be uncomfortable either.

Have Fun!
Debra

Hi Debra!

I really find your approach to running a balanced one. I was wondering how you incorporate Cathe's strength training workouts into your running. I really enjoy running the most, but find now that I'm in my 40's that my body needs a greater variety of workouts. What have you found to be the best cross-training compliment to running? I really enjoy Kickboxing, spinning, and Cathe's I-max. Thanks in advance for your input.

Deb

Hi Deb!

I'm consistent w/ my weight work, but go light for leg work when my mileage gets high. Mileage can be from cycling, running or hiking. A couple of times each year I do reduce my cardio & focus on strength work before I begin training for an event. That's how I first discovered Cathe.

I prefer outdoor cardio, but took a weekly Spin class until recently (schedule overload). Living in So Cal, weather doesn't drive me indoors too often. I recently started a community college swimming class: the first swimming instruction I've had since junior high!

Oh, & I do like kickboxing. Especially if I need to vent some frustration! It seems like a great complement to running & cycling because of the lateral movement. Just don't seem to fit it in unless the weather is bad.

I've been doing Pilates mat work for several years (classes & videos). Just started yoga classes & intend to stick with it for balance & flexibility. Core training may be trendy but I think it's my secret weapon. I'm really excited that Cathe's going to integrate some fitness ball work into the new videos.

I'll be 45 next month & sure wish I knew what I know now about fitness 20 years ago. Wish I'd stuck w/ yoga or some flexibility work after college. Balance goes quick too. I mix up high intensity & low intensity cardio. (Have to give a high five to Honeybunch. She's been trying to coach people away from the high impact/high intensity cardio, everytime workouts.) I use a heart rate monitor on many of my cardio workouts to make sure I don't overdo. My husband often does my long run with me (it's his intermediate distance) & I use my hrm to make sure I run at my pace & not his.

I eat healthy but I'm not a food nazi. I make sure I get plenty of sleep which does hinder some social relationships. My favorite Spinning teacher has told me I need to limit my social circle to cyclists & runners who appreciate an early bedtime! When I train hard, I take 2 days of rest instead of my usual one. A recovery ride or run, yoga, etc at the most.

Sorry for running on.
Debra

Debra,
Thank you so much for sharing your workout/cross-training routine with me. I have come away so motivated and encouraged. You seem to have a real handle on the balance aspect of phsical fitness, I really admire and respect that and is something I really need. Cathe has SO many workout options that I sometimes become overwhelmed. I need to remember what form of cardio I ENJOY most and be true to it, add the weight training, cross-train and stay balanced. Thanks again for your genrous spirt. It's gals like you that make this forum what it is.

Deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.