questions about working out during pregnancy

ecbrown1977

Hi everyone! I am new to this board, but I think I am very glad that I have found it! I have had a hard time connecting with other moms-to-be who were fitness oriented prior to pregnancy. A little history about me--I had a miscarriage in December 09. My husband and I decided to take a little break from trying to conceive again since we already have a wonderful 2 year old. I was training for a half marathon and doing quite well at it when surprisingly I did get pregnant again. We are very excited, and I really want to continue working out. I am curious as to how long those of you who are pregnant are working out right now. I can't seem to find a straight answer in research or from my doctor about working out. I was running just about an 8.5 minute mile and running anywhere from 5-10 miles per day. I have since quit running as it just doesn't feel comfortable. However, I have been walking daily at 4 mph at an incline (anywhere from 5 to 12 percent) for 40 minutes to an hour a day. I have a heart rate monitor and have heard that for those of us who were very active prior to pregnancy we don't necessarily have to follow the 140 bpm or less rule. I would love to hear some insight from other moms about what you are doing and for how long. Also, what have your doctors told you? I honestly don't think that my doctor is used to dealing with moms who are as exercise oriented as I am. I really want to watch my weight. I am almost 15 weeks and I have gained 6 pounds so far. I guess I am rambling but I just need some support and backup! Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend the book "Exercising through your Pregnancy" by James Clapp (I think it's James). He's a physician who's actually done research on women exercising during pregnancy. It's the ONLY book I've found so far where the recommendations are based on research, not some kind of guess. Basically, he says keep doing what you were doing as long as it is comfortable, running included. There are a few exceptions - contact sports, hardcore plyometrics, and hardcore interval training. The only real problem with the last two is getting your core temperature above 102 degrees. That's one of the only things that he found in his research that had some negative consequences. HR isn't a good indicator of body temperature, necessarily.

So, now I am sometimes in the awkward situation of having a thermometer in my butt in the bathroom at the gym. Weird! I'm glad I did though - there were some things I was doing (Insanity, intervals that were close together, long, high intensity) that would get my temp up over 102. I still do intervals - I just space them out more.

Anyway, great book!

Oh, also, didn't make this explicitly clear. The 140 HR limit is totally arbitrary. his research suggests max HR doesn't matter, just core temp.

The bottom line of the book is: keep exercising, for the most part you can do whatever you were doing until it's not comfortable anymore.

Thanks for the response. I actually did purchase that book and found it to have some good information. I haven't taken my temperature at the gym, but I guess I should probably start doing that. How long do your workouts typically last? I don't feel like I am overexerting myself and I feel really good when my workouts are over. I have just had comments from other people that they are concerned about how much I work out (family members not doctors). I only work out an hour a day at the most, but I will tell you that I would never forgive myself if something is wrong with my baby that could be linked to me working out. I know people who have smoked during their pregnancies and people who have eaten without restraint, and I think it's a little unfair that I have to worry about how I am trying to be healthy! With two kids, I just know it will be more difficult to get in long workouts for the first few months, so I want to minimize the amount of weight I gain. Any other thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy wishing you lots of luck and health!

I am 27 weeks pregnant and was very active before my pregnancy. I ran on treadmill, did HIIT, polymetrics, lifted weights. Worked out 6 days a week. I stopped when I was about 4- 5 months pregnant. My doctor told me that I could keep doing what I was doing but not to over do it and to listen to my body and thats what I did.

Right now I am doing some yoga, walking , and have you ever heard of leslie sansone? Sometimes I go a week to 2 weeks and dont do anything. I just dont have the energy to do anything between getting up at 430am to go to work and taking care of my 5 year old and household chores I feel worn out by the time I get home. Plus my back really started to bother me at 18 weeks.

So I kind of look at this time as a long rest and hoping all the years of keeping myself healthy and fit will carry me through. What I try to do is watch what I eat since I'm not as active. I've gained approx. 20 pounds so far. I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day and tons of water. My doctor told me I only need an extra 200-300 calories a day in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.
Like you, I wouldnt be able to forgive myself if I caused any harm to my unborn baby all in the name of keeping fit. (No offense to anyone).

My workouts vary in length a lot depending on how I feel. I'm still in the first trimester and I always feel super-fatigued then. Some days I can only muster 30 minutes and other days I do up to an hour and a half of cardio+strength. My temperature mostly gets up if I do intervals or if I run for more than 45 minutes or so, but I think I get hot easily!

I felt very reassured about exercising after reading the Clapp book - everything in there suggests that it's better to keep exercising than not - if you're able of course. Maybe your family would like to read it? I totally hear you about worrying about doing what's right for the baby. And then at the same time all these "shoulds" and "should nots" that go along with pregnancy just make you feel guilty, I think! Plus, sometimes it's impossible. For example, being in the first trimester I'm not supposed to eat much more or gain much weight. But I feel like my appetite is completely beyond my control. If I weren't pregnant I'd think I had a tapeworm! I just decided that if I need to eat I need to eat - better than being miserable.

Anyway, congratulations - and try not to let mommy guilt take over! Easier said than done, I know.

I'm 26 weeks, and this is my second child.
I worked out the entire duration of my first pregnancy, and haven't missed a beat this time around either. I can tell you from experience that if you maintain your fitness through your pregnancy, your recovery will be MUCH easier and much faster. That's what keeps me going!

That said, I have not modified my workouts at all. My doc is on the conservative side. Don't lift heavier than 20lbs, don't get the HR up over 140, blah blah blah. I chose to ignore it and go with what I feel like. My workouts avg 45 minutes - they always have.
I did Low Max this morning. TaeBo last week, Drill Max, Boot Camp, etc... I LOVE the High Step Challenge. It's been great for this pregnancy!
There are tired days where I do an easier workout. There are days where I have tons of energy and go all out.
My only challenge has been that I've had to lift lighter. The weight feels heavier this time around. So instead of curling 15s, I'm using 10s.

Do what feels good. Your body will DEFINITELY tell you when you're pushing too hard. And please don't let anyone give your grief about staying fit during your pregnancy. I find that a lot of that comes from jealousy of those that didn't! Just listen to your body. You're already a fitness person, so you know what feels right and what doesn't.

Thank you all so much! I am so glad I found this discussion board and website. I think this will help my motivation greatly. The discipline it takes during pregnancy is more than when you are not pregant, in my opinion. I plan to stay healthy and fit just as long as possible. Now I am just go thankful that I have others to lean on and bounce ideas off of. Thanks again!
Emily

Congrats on your pregnancy! I was training for my first 1/2 marathon when I conceived my twins last April!!! I was just a week from the race, but had to stop due to vaginal bleeding.

Besides that high risk pregnancy (twins) I was active during all my other pregnancies. I kept the same exercises I had been doing, but was careful not to become anaerobic. When I became bigger I made modifications (like lowering step & not jumping so high on kicks). The secret is to listen to your body....it will guide you. Take breaks when needed, don't workout when you need to rest, and shorten your workouts when needed. If you listen well, your body will tell you.

Good luck & rock on!

Love this board!

I find that a lot of that comes from jealousy of those that didn't! Just listen to your body. You're already a fitness person, so you know what feels right and what doesn't.

I have found this to be true even in non-pregnancy. Many mothers would tell me I would never be able to keep exercising as often as I do (6 days a week) once I have a child. Of course, they did not do any form of exercise at all and wanted to lose weight!

I am now 10 or 11 weeks (gave the doctor the wrong date!) so I completely feel you on this topic. I am almost angry at this point that I feel like everyone expects me to stop exercising and veg on the couch. The problem right now is, I'm nauseous a LOT. It's hard for me to eat normally (proteins and veggies) because a lot of that stuff I can't even think about eating! LOL! Even water makes me feel sick-ish. I'm still working out daily though, just for shorter periods and less intense. I find that working out actually helps relieve some of my nausea.

The ladies on this board and in this thread are so valuable and a great resource. I had a miscarriage in Jan. 09 and reading threads here so helped me recover and feel better. I'm going to go with the advice here which basically says to do what feel comfortable doing.

I'm just so glad to not be the only person who is bent on staying healthy while pregnant. I see it as my duty to my child. I just can't wait to get out of the 12 weeks stage - so sick of feeling sick!!! Thanks ladies for all your support!!!!

Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm 23 weeks along and continue to workout the way I use to before I became pregnant, still running between 20-30 miles a week, doing floor cardio and weight training. Even when I was pregnant with my twins who are now 10 I continue to do low impact aurobics and did my normal weight training. I love it...it almost makes me forge all the pregnancy discoforst while working out!!!! Good luck to you...listen to your body.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant as of today. I stopped working out about a month ago. I just get out of breath easily because I'm carrying him really high and I'm just too tired and uncomfortable. In the first trimester I worked out at the same intensity level as always. In the second, I started to take it down a couple levels and did Leslie, Ellen Barrett, a pregnancy yoga dvd, and walked on the treadmill. I think I'm done for the rest of my pregnancy now though, other than maybe some walking outside when it's nice. I know a lot of women who have no problem working out all the way through, but I guess I'm just not one of them.

I can't wait until I can start working out again!

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. I was training for my second half marathon of 2009 when I found out we were pregnant. I stopped training immediately, but kept running easily until I was about 12 weeks. Then my body told me no more running! I miss running terribly and am already planning for a half marathon next year - this planning somehow makes the inability to run easier to deal with...

I have continued to do Cathe though - all low impact, and have significantly reduced my weight. For me High Impact just doesn't feel right. Yoga and Walking (3-5 miles a day) are really turning out to be the exercises that feel the most "right" to me... and I HATE yoga! I'm much more of a cardio junkie - yoga has always bored me to tears! But now, it seems to really meet my needs.

I agree with what most everyone else has said - listen to your body! I wish I could have continued my normal workout routines. And losing fitness has been hard. BUT... being fitness minded people, I think we can all appreciate how exciting a new workout challenge can be. So setting a goal for how awesomely you will recover from having your baby can help get you through this time with renewed vigor for your workout routines!

Best of luck to all the mommies to be out there!

Working out

Hello Everyone!

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and am SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS BABY! I'm so excited for EVERYONE! Bringing a new life into this world is just so cool :D

I'm a Certified Fitness Trainer and Fitness Therapist. I'm also working on my Nutrition Certification and hope to have that before the baby comes! I'm excited to be on this forum and relate to all the active mommies out there :)

As for working out, I haven't stopped. However, the intensity level has died down for the most part. I was a hard core lifter (LOVE dead lifts) and was in training for a few triathlons. I still teach boot camps early in the morning and work out with them a bit. Nothing high impact though, otherwise, I'd be running to the bathroom! I walk, clean, garden, do yoga, and moved to resistance bands rather than the free weights. I just found myself out of breath and couldn't keep up with any of my exercises, so that's why I moved to the bands. But for the most part, I still work on the body weight workouts. I do pushups, squats and lunges EVERYDAY. Sometimes, I'll do my make up with a band wrapped around my ankles and I'll do lateral walks back and forth in front of the mirror. I know I'm weird, but I don't want to stop moving and I want to be prepared for birth.

There is NOTHING wrong with listening to your body and cutting back. My doctor told me to keep doing what I was doing, but not to lift the usual 155lbs! I tried that for the first month, did OK, then I had to cut back because I was working too hard. I went from working out 6 days/week, to 3 or 4. Once I hit my 2nd trimester, I felt like superwoman and was working out EVERYDAY. I was always doing something. Now since I'm in these last few weeks, I move everyday, but not as much as before. I probably do at LEAST 3 half hour workouts/week, but like I said, I move around everyday. I can't sit still ;)

As long as you're in tune with your body, and listen to your baby, you're fine! Eat healthy, enjoy the outside life, and enjoy this life that you are building inside of you. Don't worry ladies, you'll all bounce back very soon! It's all worthwhile ;)

I too have already planned to run in a half marathon next spring. I will have about 6 months to train, but if I figure if I continue to stay active, I could very well reach my goals. Although I am very excited about having my second child, I do miss not being able to work out HARD. There is just something about pushing myself that is exhilerating. However, I am very thankful that I am still able to work out and I'm not on any restriction right now. I had some serious problems with my pelvis with my first child, so I am trying to strengthen my core more so that I can hopefully avoid those problems this time. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Your telling me!!! I also can't wait to push myself to the extreme. I'm sooooooooo pumped up for the ansanity challenge!!! I got mine for Christmas, tha'ts around the same time I found out I was expecting baby #6 so I had to put away. I'm so ready for Septembe to roll around...What more can you ask for a beautiful new baby and ansanity!!!

Congrats on your pregnancy! Like others have said, the most important thing is to listen to your body. I didn't work out much with my first, but with my second (born Sept '09) I worked out most of the pregnancy.

I was really nauseous the first trimester, so just exercised when I had the energy. Then I was consistent, with Cathe DVDs (cardio ones and weight ones) as well as walking. I worked out until about 36 weeks, when I finally became uncomfortable (and it got really hot in mid-August!).

I gained the same amount of weight with both pregnancies, despite a much better diet and regular exercise the second time around. Frustrating! But recovery was much easier the second time, because I was in better shape.

Another book (recommended by Cathe) is Fit to Deliver.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.