Question re: steel cut oats in the crockpot..........

lesliew

Cathlete
I've searched some recipes for crockpot oats and most include half and half or cream, along with water. I want to skip the cream and just use water. What's your usual ratio of water to oats for the crockpot? It looks like you need more water than traditional old fashioned oats. TIA!

Oh, I'd like to see not only the response to this question, but actual crockpot recipes. I'm a closet crockpot addict.

Care to share the recipe???

GAyle

Hi oatios:

Check out this recipe for proportions:

http://www.recipezaar.com/101101

and this one for recipe and more explanation of what steel cut oats are:
http://www.slashfood.com/2006/01/23/slow-cooking-breakfast-steel-cut-oatmeal/

from the site:
Steel cut oats are whole oat groats that have been chopped into smaller pieces. Rolled oats are oat groats that have been steamed, rolled and flaked for easier cooking. Quick cooking oats are rolled oats that have been chopped into smaller pieces and "instant" oats are basically powdered oats. "Instant" oats do not produce a good bowl of oatmeal, instead forming more of a paste. For the oatmeal lover, steel cut are the only way to go. These pieces of oats take longer to cook than the other, precooked varieties, but they are worth it. The oatmeal is creamy and the oats are chewy.

Barb
:)

For a one serving size in a crockpot I use 1/4 cup soymilk, 3/4 cups water and 1/4 cup steel cut oats. No butter is needed and you can salt as you like. As for dried fruit, I just used my judgement.

This worked really well for my mini Rival crockpot. I set it up just before I went to bed for many years. (One serving may not work well in a large crockpot because of the large surface area so I would definitely try to make at least 2-4 servings in a large crockpot.)

I have since purchased a Fuzzy logic Rice Cooker which cooks the Steel cut oats to perfection so I no longer use the tiny crockpot. I still think it was a wonderful way to have hot steel cut oats... especially if you are lazy in the morning like me.;-)

I am sure you can fiddle around with the recipe too.

Good luck and Enjoy!

ETA: Most of the time I made it without dried fruit and added bananas in the morning.

Hmm, I just got a new rice cooker for Christmas and I was thinking about trying it for breakfast foods. It's a Rival and fairly small. I have a larger crockpot but it would just be a hassle to do that.

Do you guys make a batch and freeze or refrigerate? Or are the nutrients lost that way?

Marie

RE: Question re: steel cut oats in the crockpot...........

Hello, All!

I have actually been doing this recently for my family. I have become such a big fan of Dr. Furhman and feeding kids right...I feel so blessed to have discovered his book while my children are only 2 & 4. So, they are sort of easy since they don't have any really bad habits yet.

Anyways, I discovered that my huge crockpot was too big/hot to start the oats at bedtime...which is 10pm for me. So, I now get up to plug in the crockpot around 2am. When I get up at 4am to exercise (with Cathe, of course), I unplug the crockpot and let it just sit there until breakfast at 5:30am. This is only using the crockpot at LOW, so I can't imagine what it would do to my oats on HIGH! I plan to purchase a different cooker to avoid my rise at 2am.

I have used several variations that everyone loves.

2 Cups Steel Cut Oats
5 Cups Water
2 Cups Soy Milk
1 Chopped up Apple
Handful of Raisins
(I have also been adding tons of other dried fruits, but if I plan to do something that is extra dry, like peaches, I will soak them in soymilk over night before hand)
Cinnamon...I add a lot
Brown Sugar to taste
Splash of Pure Maple Syrup

I will also do a variation that has frozen strawberries or other berries. Obviously, you must reduce the liquid if you do this. If I have an "accident" and the oats are too runny, I will add a scoop or two of BSN's Dessert Protein. It thickens up nicely and it comes in sooo many flavor variations that you can add a whole different deminsion to the oats too.

They also have some other varieties of "oats" by Bob's Red Mill (I think that is the name) that are 6 grain with flax seed, and they are really good too, but don't require as much cook time.

Just what I do. I would love to hear other's ideas for the oats too!

Have a great day!
Denise:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.