Question on Personal Training Certification

pebblesus

Cathlete
Hello,
I have noticed that a few of you are certified personal trainers and/or group trainers.
I am interested in this and was wondering if you could give me some tips and info on where you got certified, how long, cost etc?
I do not need long months and month of schooling, but I don't know what to make of the shorter term "weekend" seminars or the online certifications or how they will place me in the field.
Please let me know your experiences and thanks!

I am in the process of studying for my certification. I am going with the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association). Last year I was approached by my fitness bootcamp instructor to get certified and work for her part time. She suggested the NSCA. I have heard that NSCA is very good as well as ACE. I have been studying on my own using the materials from NSCA. I had hoped to be certified by now but I got off track with a family situation that lasted all summer. I'm getting back on track now and hope to be certified by the spring.

I work full time but getting studying time hasn't been a big problem. I ordered all the practice tests and realized that you need to have overall fitness knowledge but also focus on what the NSCA focuses on. A friend of mine got certified through the National Councile on Strength and Fitness and the focus was very different than the NSCA's study materials. The cost of the test ranges from $235 to $400 depending on if you are a member and what kind of test you take (pen/paper or computer). Of course, any study materials are extra.

I hope this helps!

I am a presenter for NETA who does a weekend PT training. The biggest thing you should know about a weekend course is that you do not learn everything you need in the weekend. You actually need to spend quite a bit of time studying before the class. If you do not study before the class you likely will not pass the test. The purpose of the class is to claryify information and answer any questions that may have come up when you are studying. The study manual has all of the information you need to pass the test, it is filled with all of the kinesiology, anatomy and biomechanics you need.

The previous poster was right that you should consider the emphasis of the certification you are studying for. I am NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) certified for my PT and it has a biomechanics, almost rehab emphasis. ACSM is quite concerned with cardiovascular health. NETA is fairly balanced and general.

If you have any other questions you can let me know.

I went thru AFAA and took a workshop and everything. I just completed it 2 months ago. The cost was $550 including the book, the class, and other study materials I chose to get.

Good luck in chosing and let us know how everything goes!
Clarissa :)

I've been a fitness buff for 30 years (since 14), and I'm an RN, I decided to teach Turbokick and Zumba and became ACE certified in 4 hours with a test! I've had the BEST teachers who were certified in nothing, and awful instructors who were certified in everything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.