question Lorrayne??

llp

Cathlete
Hi Lorrayne:

Are you the official coordinator? I don't see who we should direct our questions to!

My question is also an airport question. If I were to book a 1:30 flight out of San Diego on Sunday, is that enough time after breakfast to get to the airport and check-in, especially with all the extra security they are supposedly going to be doing? So, I guess I am wondering, when breakfast is over at 10:30, should I leave right away, or could I hang around a little longer?
I may have a car, or I would take a Taxi(not sure what yet!).

Thanks in advance for your help Lorrayne!:D

~linda

p.s. Ticket prices are very weird. When I went to PHL from PDX(RT) it cost under ~$270 in July. But, going from PDX to SAN (RT) March it's $413!!! Yikes!:confused:

My flight leaves at 1:30. I think it is plenty of time to eat and socialize. I am not going to check any luggage. I find it must easier to just have a larger carry on bag. I hate dealing with checking early and waiting in line. You definitley have to pack carefully to do this, but I find it so worth it. Hope this helps!

Susan

My flight leaves at 1:30. I think it is plenty of time to eat and socialize. I am not going to check any luggage. I find it must easier to just have a larger carry on bag. I hate dealing with checking early and waiting in line. You definitley have to pack carefully to do this, but I find it so worth it. Hope this helps!

Susan

Hi Susan:
I think you are a way more efficient packer than I am ;).
I'm going to have so much it isn't funny! I'll be coming a couple days early for a mini vacation with my husband. Don't know exactly what we're going to do, but, I know he wants to sail in the bay, so we'll do that and other fun stuff! So, I'll be packing for a couple of extra days in addition to the Cathe's camp. I'm sure it's worth it, but, I don't know how to pack without everything but the kitchen sink!:confused: I will seriously think about seeing if I can pack everything in one large carry on! That's a good idea.
Can people have 2 carry-on's?

I guess the standing in line part to check-in baggage, is what I need to account for if that's what I have to do, so I want to be sure to get there on time. If a few of us are needing to go to the airport, maybe we can ride together to save money on the taxi??? At this point, I'm not sure if I'll have a car(my husband might take it back to the airport when he leaves earlier).

Hi Linda,

I think my car knows how to self-drive to the San Diego airport...so I can answer your questions...

The hotel is only 20 minutes from the airport. You will be taking an afternoon flight on Sunday well before rush hour starts. Having said that, it really depends on the airline you use. For example, Southwest is always a zoo regardless of the day of the week or time. If you are flying a prop plane, you can show up 45 minutes early and make it through security quickly. The Commuter terminal (where the prop planes are) is really tiny and only has 2 gates.

To be on the safe side, I would allocate 90 minutes prior to departure to allow you enough time to check your bag and go through security.

I suggest you try to take carry-on luggage only if possible. Follow the packing list from the cathe dot com sponsored roadtrips as a guide...

I suggest you use the same pair of pants/capris a couple of days and wear different tops to change your look from the previous time you wore the pants/capris. I suggest you wear the same ones you have selected for RT time for your vacation time.

If you do go on the water, dress warmly. It gets quite chilly on the water. Also, be sure to pack a light jacket for the evenings. We're in a desert and it gets cold at night.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne

I also have a flight at 13:30 on Sunday

Hi guys,

Thanks for asking the question Linda, as I will also be rushing to the airport after breakfast, to catch an early afternoon flight on Sunday. I'm flying to Montreal, catching a connection in Denver before heading home. Since the events of dec 25th in Detroit, I am no longer allowed to fly Montreal-San Jose with carry on luggage. Are you allowed carry on luggage on domestic flights?

Linda (also, hihi!)

PS: Would love to share a taxi with you guys!

Hi Lorrayne:
Thanks for your advice. It sounds like I have enough time even a little past the 10:30 breakfast to hang around a little bit, so I finalized my plane reservation for a 1:30 departure. I will see if I can pack just a carry-on, but, I highly doubt I can cram everything in the suitcase, but, I will try! Especially because I will be in San Diego Tuesday( 3 extra days).

Hi to the other Linda(molly2222)!
Yes you are allowed carry-on in the States. I guess the international travel guidelines are more picky( :(). Yes, let's share a Taxi afterwards. We can call it the "Linda Taxi" & maybe some other gals would like to come with us to save on the cost. (I'll plan to not have the car, and my husband can drive himself to the airport when he leaves on Friday). Look me up when you arrive and introduce yourself -- it will be nice to meet you;).

See you in March!
~linda(llp)

Last edited:
Linda,

I suggest you check your carrier's policies in entering the US. I assume you're flying Air Canada? I wasn't aware that TSA isn't allowing carry-on luggage when entering the US. I guess I better check that for my upcoming trips.

Flying into the US

Linda: I'll definitly find you! Can't wait!!

Flying into the US: I'm getting mentally prepared for a pat-down or a full body scan, YIKES!!

Hi Linda (in Canada),

Ironically, I saw the travel restrictions flying to the US from Canada. How interesting that they are preventing all carry-on luggage for flights coming into the US from Canada (but not all countries are doing this)... However, you can bring carry-on luggage going TO Canada. Hmmm....

Body scans aren't fun. I've had them done in the US....I think it was Newark airport, but I can't remember.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.