Question for those who own the WalMart Barbell Set

JayBizz

Howdy!

I've been away from eating right and exercising for a while...Just put in a big Cathe order and am eager to get back into it! I'm looking to lose 25-30 pounds.

Many of Cathe's workouts use a barbell. I found the WalMart barbell through another spot on this forum. It seems ridiculously low priced:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2171148

I have one question: Is this a standard sized bar? Will I be able to buy other weight plates to use with it? The guy in customer service couldn't tell me, and it doesn't say on the site. I want to make sure I buy something with maximum flexibility.

Are there any other pros or cons to this barbell?

Cheers,

Jules

I looked at that same barbell too. I bought a bodybar so far, but still haven't bought a barbell. The thing I noticed about this one; which is why I hesitated to buy it, is that it doesn't come with 2.5# plates, and wasn't sure either if I could buy them seperately.
Beth

I have a set from Wal-Mart and it works great for me. I even have old metal plates that fit on it. It doesn't come with the 2.5 lb. plates but they sell the metal plates at Wal-Mart and are very cheap. You will need those. I hope this helps.

i've seen other posts from other members of this forum that have purchased their bar bell from walmart, . . .as far as i know i haven't read any complaints. i have one that is very similar to the one sold at walmart bought it online before i even thought of going to walmart because i couldn't find it at my local sports store. paid through the nose for shipping, it actually cost more than the barbell itself. well, got my husband doing cathe workouts too and we would fight over who got to use the bar so i bought another one from here
http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1407
the quality is MUCH nicer. the bar is sturdier and the weights are rubber plated. i reccomend it but it does cost more. love the ironcompany.com they have everthing that cathe uses on her videos and the price includes shipping so you don't have to worry about being hit with a $60 shipping fee.

by the way the barbell is well worth the investment. i slowly purchased all the equipment that cathe uses and having all the equipment ensures variety with my workouts and is like having a gym in my own home.

Annette Bethel

I have the Danskin Barbell set as well. And you can use other weights on it. But a friend of mine let me borrow her old "The Firm" barbell which my danskin weights fit well on it. I still have the Danskin Barbell, when I don't feel like changing weights between exercises. Annette

I have this same barbell set. I bought mine through amazon.com though and got free shipping, think I paid about $30 total for it. It works fine with standard size plates so if you buy 2.5 lb's it makes a great set.

The same company (Escalde Sports) that owns and manufatures "The Step" also owns the barbell company you are refering to. We've actually used this barbell in many of our DVD's and it works fine and we have had no problems. You can't beat the price!

I don't like that there is no 2.5lb weights. You can only change the weight in 10lb intervals.

I bought a 100lb barbell set on sale at sports authority for less than $30. The weights have the 3 holes in them so they can be gripped.

Thanks everyone, for "weighing" in on this!

I went ahead and ordered it. The price was *so* right.

I also bought two dumbells, and there are four 2.5lb weights included with that set, so hopefully I'll be able to use those with the barbell as well.

Cheers!

jules

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.