Question for the technophiles - online document/file storage?

MCunningham

Cathlete
I fear my 7-year-old computer (yes, 7!!) is on its last legs. In order to avoid losing some very important documents and files that I have saved on my computer hard drive, I'm thinking about online document/file storage, simply because I don't want to transfer them to another computer and lose them eventually (you never know what can happen with computers!!)

So, I was wondering if any of you have experience with any online document storage places and can recommend any to me. I am looking to be able to edit these documents, too, so I don't want it to just be static storage.

Any input?

Thanks in advance!

MC

My DH uses Dropbox.

It's free.
Has good synchronization.
Can be used both with web interface, iPhone, or just with the computer.
Works across every operating system.

Google it and check it out. He loves Dropbox!

I use Mozy.com

I just had a laptop crash and I lost everything. I had been backing up with Mozy for a while, so all my info and photos were right there on Mozy. All I had to do was download everything that was stored at Mozy to my new computer! Yay! So easy!

You MUST back up your computer! I'm pretty clueless about how to do this because my husband is the tech-savvy one in our house.

Here's a short-term fix for the most important documents, pictures, etc. you don't want to lose: create a gmail account (if you don't already have one) and email all the files you don't want to lose to your gmail account. They'll be there to access from any computer, anytime.

On line remote back ups can take a long time to download everything. The remote backups usually are backing up to numerous servers around North America.

Carbonite is free, but if you need to go over the minimums, you will pay. In order to get the information off the computer fast, I would buy a world book drive and get that info off fast. In the future, you can then spend the time to get the information backed up to a download site. (I am currently backing up 50 g and it will take 2 full days to back up to the remote site!!!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.