Question for the Runners

lynda

Cathlete
Okay, I just completed Week 3 of a beginning running program which will theoretically get me up to running 30 consecutive minutes by the end of Week 8. It's basically running and walking combined for 30 minutes, 4 times a week, with the running segments getting progressively longer.

My question is, what do I do once I get there? I know it's a long way off, but I'd like to have a plan in mind so that I don't lose the momentum I have going. I run 30 minutes Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday with Tuesday and Thursday being one hour walk days. The schedule seems to work well for me, I just don't know what to do at the end.

Lately, I've been concentrating on cardio with some basic upper body and abs training. I build muscle very easily, but have always had problems losing fat. I'm loving the results I'm getting already, and it's only been three weeks.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

lynda

Hi Lynda,

It really depends on what your goals are with running. Do you want to just incorporate it as a cardio option? If so, maybe at the end of the program, try running once a week for 30-45 min?

If your goal is to start doing some long distance running, perhaps sign up for a 5K or a 10K and maybe even build up to a 1/2 marathon? If you do those things, you'll probably want to be running 2-3x a week to build up your running stamina.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Hi Lynda...I agree with Jennifer as it depends on your goals. You could always check out some other beginning/intermediate running programs from runnersworld.com or coolrunning.com to see if one of those plan suits you.

You can also go by the 10-15% rule. Do not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10-15%. You could probably do that with a "timed" run too. So as you run 30 min, 3 times a week which would total 90 min, then add 10% to 90 min and you get 99 min. So you could then do 3 33 min runs, or break it up however you want to to get to 99 min for the week...:)...HTH

Thanks Jennifer and Carole. I will definitely check out those websites. I like having a plan set out, so maybe I'll be able to find a next step plan. I also didn't know about the 10 to 15 percent rule. All good tips. Does anyone know a way to find out about races in my area. Is there a website to search? This is a whole new world for me, and I'm learning slowly. I have the Runners World Complete Book of Beginning Running, but it seems to only take you so far, and now I feel a bit lost. Any book recommendations?

lynda

To find races:

http://runningintheusa.com/

http://www.active.com/

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/1/index.shtml

You may want to google your local running club. They usually sponsor races as well.

As far as books, I bought several titles when I first started running in the mid-90s, so they might be more dated. Not sure what's out there now, but I would recommend anything by George Sheehan. I'm a fan of Jeff Galloway, too. And as previously mentioned, the RW site has a wealth of information.

Happy running :),

I'm a new runner too - I started running in April and am now up to 3-5 miles twice a week and 1 long run each week around 8 miles.

I signed up for some 5K's early in the summer and then a couple of 10Ks late in the summer to keep me goal oriented.

I'm now planning to do some 10milers in the spring and a half late summer.

For the fall and winter I'm not going to increase my total mileage that much, but I plan to do more Itread and Cardio Coach workouts for my short runs to work on speed and then continue with my long runs for endurance.

I don't put on muscle easily so I run 3 times a week and do weights the other 3 days with 1 rest day. I've dropped those last 10 pounds I wanted to lose and my thighs and calfs are probably the smallest they've been in my life (I'm a pear).

I only do leg weights 1X a week and keep it light. I go heavy for my upper body.

I think coming up with your goals (distance, race, speed, fat loss, etc) is what will determine what to do next.

I like Galloway's book (although he is anti-stretching (!)
I also really like Runner's World magazine and their website.
Another book I like - which is not really about training but just a fun read - is My Life on the Run.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Run-Wisdom-Insights/dp/1594869413

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.