Question for the early a.m. exercisers...

Calee

Cathlete
I am wanting to switch my workout times from after work to first thing in the morning. I feel like I let too much creep in the way of exercising when I do it at night.
My question is about weight workouts. I am fine to roll out of bed and do cardio, but weight workouts make me nauseous. Do any of you (or did you when you first started) experience this? I'm thinking if I eat something first it will help, but how long before I exercise should I eat- and what? I don't want waste time at 4:45 in the morning... For those that do eat something first, does it make a difference for you?
Aaagh, too many questions:p
Calee

I feel your pain. I'd be working out right now, but my 18 month old is sick, thus no work out. Anyway, try a banana before working out with weights. It's easy to digest and gives a little "carb" boost. You could also add a spoon of PB, but I wouldn't put too much. I always eat just a little something 10 mins or so before. I don't have a lot of time, like you, to let something digest. Hope that helps!

Sally

I agree w/ Sally. If I have to get up really early, its a banana or a handful of grapes. A little bit of juice works well too.

Lynn M.

Hi, Calee!

Love your name.

I am an early exerciser for the reason you stated. There is always so much to distract me, both food & work. Usually, I would only get to exercise 3 times a week when I tried to do it in the afternoon. But, now since I have been doing it first time, there is NO excuses! I now exercise everyday except Sunday. I feel lazy if I don't get out of bed at this time. And I have found the time to be wonderful! There is no one up to interupt me, my belly is EMPTY (something that only occurs at this moment of the day), and it is great ME time to gather myself for the day. I have also found that I am in an absolute WONDERFUL mood when I finish & shower. I then get breakfast for everyone with a big big SMILE :7 on my face, instead of dragging my rump out to make a pot of coffee to get me going. Personally, I think this is the best aspect for me & my kids....which mommy would you rather see first thing in the morning? ;-)

I get up at 3:55am. I take one royal jelly & one bee pollen & 4-6 super greens pill (something like GNC's Maximum Greens™ Complete). I also drink 1/2 bottle of endorush about 5 minutes after the pills. it is mainly B vitamins, no caffeine to upset your tummy. The bee pollen, royal jelly, and greens are like a little food. From what I remember bee pollen is supposed to increase your cardio vascular ability, something about the blood vessels...can't remember.

I love this time in the morning. You will too...but, you will have to stick with it for a little while to discover that. Get a few new videos to motivate yourself even further!

Take Care!
Denise:)

I too am up at 4:30 most days to retreat to my basement "studio". I have coffee and banana or half a granola bar 5 minutes before. I notice I have more energy and the time it takes to eat wakes up my brain to tell my body what to do during Both cardio and weight workouts.

I feel sick to my stomach occasionally if I'm rolling around on the ball on my tummy. I believe my breathing technique has developed over time and it helps to keep my stomach upset away. IMO.

The early morning is the best time for me. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. Keeping the blues away.
Good luck!

I always eat before working out...weights or cardio...I agree with eating a banana. It's a perfect food in the morning.

>>I get up at 3:55am. I take one royal jelly & one bee pollen &
>4-6 super greens pill (something like GNC's Maximum Greens™
>Complete). I also drink 1/2 bottle of endorush about 5
>minutes after the pills. it is mainly B vitamins, no caffeine
>to upset your tummy. The bee pollen, royal jelly, and greens
>are like a little food. From what I remember bee pollen is
>supposed to increase your cardio vascular ability, something
>about the blood vessels...can't remember.
>
>I love this time in the morning. You will too...but, you will
>have to stick with it for a little while to discover that.
>Get a few new videos to motivate yourself even further!
>
>Take Care!
>Denise:)

WOW, 3:55 a.m.! Now that takes some serious dedication!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think it will just take some adjusting on my part; I'm wired to be a night owl so mornings are tough but I'm hoping that if I just push through the first little while it will get better for me and my stomach!
I'll try the PB and banana idea, that sounds good. The thing I worry about is adding extra calories to my day if I eat before a workout then eat breakfast after. When I exercised at night, I just waited and had a later dinner around 9 or 9:30, so I didn't have that issue.
Calee

I always eat before I workout too. I get sick if I dont.
I get up at 5:30am and I eat oatmeal with flax, fruit, and 1 scoop
of protein powder and a glass of water. I workout at 6:00am and it does not bother me. I am an early morning person I go to bed at 9pm.

Good Luck
Lisa

I'm also a morning exerciser for the reasons you mention.

I have reflux and stomach problems.....so I usually need something a bit soothing to coat my stomach. I get up, take my vitamins, amino and Bee Pollen (like the above person) and then I eat one of those tiny Fat Free Dannon yogurts ....it's only like 40 calories. I have also eaten a banana before I workout and that's good. I usually workout 15 minutes after I eat it and I"m fine.

How funny! I am just the opposite! It is cardio that bothers me first thing in the morning, not weights. :)

When I need a boost before a morning workout, I try a spoon full of peanut butter, some raisins, piece of toast, fruit, energy gel. I try not to eat before either cardio or weights and think that after you get used to the early hour, you may not need food anymore.

Good Luck!

I am up at 3:00 am (yes, 3:00 AM :eek: )from Tuesday to Friday. I make myself a shake (juice and protein powder) prior to exercising.

It is the only way to do it for me.

runathon

Wow wow wow. You early exercisers AMAZE me! I can barely get up to my alarm for a 6 am shower never mind a 3am workout!!! Although in the past when the only time I've been able to work out was in the morning (only a few times in my life:) I've gotten up at 5:15 or so and I didn't eat before working out. Then I find myself ravenous afterwards. I think the small Dannon yogurt or a banana is your best bet. Just something to get your blood flowing. We're not saying that you should eat a stack of pancakes, but something to get your system revved and woken up is good to get you through the workout. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.