Question for runners :)

dani21496

Cathlete
I recently have taken up running. I am training for an 8K and I'm loving it. My question is how do you avoid getting blisters? Any tips for me? Thanks so much!!

Danielle

Danielle,

Where are the blisters at on your feet? Your shoes may be to tight or to loose. Different socks might do the trick. If you have a running store near you they can fit your foot with the best running shoe. Lots of running stores have this machine you step on and check your feet. I can't remember what it is called.

Beverly

Dani,

I'm not sure what is causing your blisters, especially where you describe them. The only places I have ever gotten blisters has been between my toes, and that's usually when I run long distances -- say more than 6 miles at once.

A couple of things I do to help: I wear "Thorlo" socks. They are padded in just the right places. They might help your blisters. Also, as mentioned above, make sure your shoes fit right. Another thing I do is put those sport insoles in all my running shoes to give me extra cushioning.

Good luck with your running. :)

The most important thing in running is the shoes so you absolutely must get the correct shoes for your running style. As mentioned above, a running store will spend as much time is necessary to fit you with the correct shoe for your needs. I over-pronate, and they got me in a shoe and insert that helps correct this so that wont have minor injuries from my running style. I have had no problems since with my feet. You should also talk to them about socks that might help as well. Good luck with your 8K!!

Gayla

Even with good fitting shoes & specialty socks, you might still get blisters as you increase mileage. Blister blocks are nice to have around. Running stores usually carry them, but most drug stores have them, either with band aids or the foot section.

Debra

I sometimes get them in my arch also. I just use Vaseline petroleum jelly when that happens and it works great for me. I've also read to wear 2 pairs of socks so that the socks rub together instead of causing friction on your skin.

Erica

Also check the lacing on your shoes. Sometimes just lacing them differently can make a huge difference. A specialty store can help.

I agree with what others have said. You really need to have the right shoes for your feet. I recommend going to a specialty running store and have them watch you walk/run, then they can help fit you for the proper shoe. It almost sounds like your shoes arches may be too high for your foot. Running shoes come in all shapes and sizes and there are specific shoes for flat feet, medium arches and high arches. Anyway, it could be socks also, but I would go have someone work with you.

Jo

Thank you for all of your suggestions everyone! I just found out there's a specialty running shop about 2 blocks away from where I live, called Running Ambitions! Where have I been? I'm heading there tonight after work!

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Thank you!!

Thanks for the tips!

Okay, I just went and had my foot analyzed at Running Ambitions down the street. I do have flat feet after all. I never really knew that. I always thought I had a little bit of an arch but I don't. So, that is why I was getting blisters on the arch...or where the arch of my foot should be. ;) I was wearing shoes for people with arches. They recommended the Mizuno running shoes "Wave Renegade" style for flat feet. They felt great so I purchased them. They told me to try them out for a few days and if I didn't like them I could exchange them for another brand. I also bought a couple pairs of double layered anti-blister socks! I will also put lotion or vaseline on my feet! Great idea!

Thanks again everyone! Yay!

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.