Question for Mom's who work and workout

janie1234

Cathlete
I have a question for all the working and non working mom’s. How and when do you workout? I am a mother of 2 kids a 5 year old girl and a 7 year old boy who is diagnosed with aspergers (autism). Both are in elementary school and I work from home part time as a sr. dental insurance coordinator. I work out 1 hour a day 6 days a week. A lot of times I split up my workout because of time restraints 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. I find that I’ve been doing this a lot and I have not been seeing the results that I wanted. I’ve pretty much have always been active, hiking, biking, jogging, working out with Cathe for the past 10 years, but last year when I hit the big 30 I noticed more cushioning well, everywhere. The weight started to increase instead of maintain so I started to pick it up a notch with my workouts and increased it from 30 minutes 4 days a week to 1 hour 6 days a week. Here is my dilemma. If the body doesn’t really start to burn fat until after the 30 minute “fat burning zone” does splitting my workout hurt my efforts at losing weight? I’ve read somewhere that workouts are cumulative and that to lose weight you really need to lift weights, and do cardio, which is what I do. I mean something is better than nothing, right? Only, like I said, it doesn’t seem to be helping me lose the extra fat. I eat well, which is to say I never eat anything that could not have been made 100 years ago or is not made of natural ingredients. So to make a long story short, how do all the other working mom’s out there squeeze in your workouts? Please don’t tell me you wake up at 5:00am, which is what I’m afraid I’ll have to start doing. I have terrible insomnia and never sleep more than 4 hours a day. And for those people who are not mom’s but have fitness advice do you think splitting my workout is an ineffective way to lose those extra pounds? Sorry this is long. Thanks everyone.

I don't know the answer to your question about two 30-minute workouts vs. one 60-minute workout, but I just wanted to say that I sympathize with your dilema. I work and have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5. I generally have to get up at 4:15 or 4:30 so I can exercise before my girls wake up and before work. I'm always happy that I got up early once my workout is done, but I will admit that I would LOVE to sleep a bit later!! Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some of the responses from more exercise-knowledgeable posters.

Thanks Deborah. 4:15!!! Yowzers! I'm really starting to believe that I have to start waking up early too. Have you always been a morning person? Do you have to sleep early to compensate? Where do you workout in the house? Does it wake everyone else up or bother them? Sorry to bombard you with questions. :)

I do a variety of things to get my workouts in. We just returned from a 1.5 hour bike ride. I picked up the kids (same ages as yours) from school with their bikes in the car and we went right from the parking lot to every sidewalk in the city! It was a pretty good workout!

Sometimes I get up very early and work out, too. When I workout in the house early, I have to be kinda quiet, so it is usually a weight workout and not cardio (especially step...that wakes DH).

I run outdoors, too. I only run a few miles, so nothing that take s a long time.

Just try different things until you find something that you like and works for you.

Good luck!
Jenn

I also get up early (sorry!!) to workout as well, usually between 4:45 and 5:00. I have been doing this since before having kids, though (my girls are 7 and 5) It really is just a habit. It started becuase not only was I getting too busy to workout in the afternoon/evenings, but when I did schedule time to excercise then I found I had NO motivation! I am what most people consider an early-bird...I'm usually pretty chipper and talkative at work in the AM! I do find that I'm zonked by 9:00 PM!

Aimee

Hi,

You said you didn't want to hear this, but yes, I'm another who gets up at 5am to get my long workouts in. On the sleep stuff -- I can have really bad sleep issues -- for a while there I would be wide awake at 2am, so I'd just go ahead and workout at that point. Well, once I was consistently (6 days a week) getting up early (on the weekends I sleep until about 6am, wake up without an alarm and workout then), my sleep patterns got better! That said, I am really tired at times. I fall asleep while waiting for my kids at piano lessons. I sometimes fall asleep reading to my kids! This weekend I fell asleep during a chess game while waiting for my son to make a move. But, all in all, I think my sleep is better now that I am really sticking to the routine and getting in a really good hard workout nearly every day (I do yoga on the seventh day). I am usually asleep by 10pm-ish every night. Sometimes I'm really wanting to go to sleep around 7pm or so, but I have to force myself to stay up or I'll be doing the 2am cathe routine, which probably really isn't so great in the long run.

good luck! I know it's not easy.

ETA: I try not take real naps (other than the dozing I mentioned, because I think it'll mess me up more). I workout at the opposite end of the house as the bedrooms, so it doesn't wake up anyone, except maybe the cat. At my last house, it was really tough to work out without disturbing someone's sleep, so I got out of the habit, unfortunately. I have been a morning person since I was in high school and had to leave the house at 4:15 for morning swim practice. And I know myself well enough to know that if I don't work out first thing in the morning, it just won't happen.

-Beth

The only time I really have to exercise is in the morning, so I get up around 4:30-5:00 am. It's hard to exercise later in the day since I have 3 kids and work full time. Also, I find that I'm able to keep up on house chores like laundry when I get up this early. I get up, throw a load in the washer- by the time I'm done with exercise, the clothes are ready for the dryer and then ready to fold once I'm done getting all the kids ready for school. It's hard at first, but now I look forward to my quiet time in the morning.

Hello again. Glad to see some more folks chimed in, although I'm sorry you're getting a lot of "I get up early" responses. To answer your questions, I do have to get to bed earlier to get up. If I'm not asleep by 9:30 or 10:00, it's VERY hard to get up. I often resent having to go to be early, as I'd like to stay up later and watch the news or read. But if I'm consistently getting up and working out at 4:30 a.m., I am really pretty tired by then anyway.

I work out in what many folks down hear in the South refer to as a "bonus room" or a "game room." (I grew up in New England, and we didn't have such rooms. We worked out in our basements, which many homes don't seem to have here in the South.) The room is positioned over the garage, so no one gets the noise below. The room is next to my daughter's room, but I keep the volume down and it generally doesn't wake her. My husband gets up early with me and goes to his gym, so no worried about waking him.

To me, it is never totally easy to get up so early, but after doing it consistently for several weeks, I guess I got "used to" it. If you have sleep issues, however, it may not be the best idea. I know if I don't sleep well on any given night, I may not be able to get up that next morning. Perhaps you could give it a try for a few weeks (it takes at least that long to adjust, in my experience) and see how you feel. Otherwise, splitting it up may be better for you. I do want to add, however, that when I'm completely done with my workout by 6:00, I feel accomplished before even starting my busy day. And, best of all, it's the only way I'm assured to get a workout in.

Good luck and have a great night!

Hi there,
I'm not a Mom but I do wake up around 5am to workout (mostly) every morning. (Not today--I just WASN'T havin' it;)). When that alarm goes off, I groan and basically roll out of bed. I go the bathroom and wash my face and brush my teeth. By the time I get into my workout clothes, I'm more awake and then gradually, I wake up a little more. It isn't easy. I started slowely. I started by waking up early and doing a light workout (i.e., light weights, a walk on the treadmill, etc.) and slowely worked up to doing my intense workouts early in the a.m.

Don't beat yourself up about this. You're a busy woman! I know you're upset with the increased "cushioning" but try not to get too down about it. You are healthy, strong, and active. Plus you've had two babies!!

Just like you said--something is MUCH better than nothing. Give yourself some credit. Not only do you get in 30 minutes of activity but you get in 30 minutes twice a day! I'm no expert, and honestly I don't know if splitting up your workouts has affected your physique like you think it may have. Keep doing what you're doing. I suffer from debilitating Sleep Apnea and rarely sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night. The feeling I get from working out early in the a.m., though and then getting in the shower, knowing that I DID IT is unlike any other feeling. Every morning I don't think I can get up early to work out, but (usually!!;)) I do! It's a HUGE accomplishment. You honestly do get in the habit of getting up early--I promise. I'm always exhausted by 8 or 9 pm, though and I'm in bed by then. I'm a total dork. I can't stay up late anymore! But I'd much rather go to bed early so I can work out that stay up late drinking or partying.

Hang in there, darlin'. You are way ahead of most Americans just by working out at all. Try and stay positive. Maybe you'll never be a morning exerciser--and that's ok. Everyone is different. If your two choices are: a.) splittin up your workouts into two 30 minutes sessions or b.a) doing nothing at all........do your two 30 minute sessions. :)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I'm so greatful. It looks like waking up early it is. :-( When I am able to workout for a full hour it is usually at 9pm at night. I put the kids down to bed at 8pm read to them and clean up the kitchen, then put my shoes on and workout. Working out hard at night usually makes going to sleep right away pretty impossible. I read somewhere the best way to train myself to wake up early is to wake up 30 minutes earlier every few days. I'm sure that after a while the body will get used to it. Although what worries me is that I have trouble getting to sleep. I tried for a month using Ambien (sleep aide)which really worked and gave me 4 hours of uniterrupted sleep a night and allowed me to wake up at 6am in the morning but I don't like being dependent on pills and the only pill I take regularly are my multivitamins. I was hoping to get a few thoughts on what others thought of splitting a one hour workout and the effectiveness of that, maybe I'll post the question to Cathe. I still would like to believe that doing 2 -30 minute workouts would be the same as working out for one full hour.

I'm an evening exerciser. My girls are 6 and almost 4. They go to bed by 7:30 so I do my workouts between 8-9PM. At 10 I start my paperwork for a couple hours (we're self-employed). I get up around 6 to start my day. I've tried numerous times to wake up early and my body just will not let me pus myself in the morning like that. If I absolutely HAVE TO I can do a 30 min. cardio or core or something but that's about it. Some say exercising in the evening keeps them awake but after a full day of kid-chasing and being a mom and wife I have absolutely no trouble getting my shut-eye! I hope you find something that will work for you. If there's one thing that is constant that's change. Just when you have the "perfect" WO schedule set something will throw a wrench at ya! Best of luck to you! If you're happiest to split your WOs do it! The biggest battle is liking what you're doing.

I'm an evening exerciser. I'm up at 545 in the morn to get ready for work, and I am NOT getting up any earlier. I'd have to be up at 4 to workout, shower, and eat, and that is not going to happen. Love my Cathe, but not at 4 am!!!! I normally get home from work about 6 and DH normally has dinner ready, I eat, check my email, pop in here for a few mins and then go workout for an hr or so. Any longer workouts are normally done in late morns or early afternoons on the weekends. DS is 7 so he is fairly self sufficient. He is normally outside w/ DH or upstairs playing legos. My workout space was also a play spot for him when he was younger, so he will still sometimes come down here and draw on the chalk board or play lincoln logs or cars or legos. He just stays on the other side of the room. When he was way younger, DH would just watch him for an hour for me (gotta love that) and as he got older he would play in the same room. There's always a way to make it work. And if I am short on time, the whole fam just packs it up for a doggie walk and I skip the hoppin' and boppin' for the night, but I try not to let that happen too much. Normally we will also take the pup around the block when I'm done. I don't think that after dinner is the BEST time to workout, but it does keep me from eating too much. But, it is better than nothing. I'm also an early to bed girl, between 9 and 930 and then read for a half hour or so, so an 8 pm workout has me too jazzed up to sleep.

I really don't know about splitting the 60 mins into 2 30 min segments, but I don't see why not, you've got to fit it in where it fits in! DS goes to bed about 830, so when I'm done, I shower, he takes a bath, has a snack, brushes his teeth and then family story time and bed time, so we still get family time during dinner and before bed, so it all works out. I think you just need to find what works for your family. This works for mine (most of the time - be willing to be flexible!)

Nan

I just have to chime in! I am a VP for a large bank and have a stressful job...as many of us do! I am also a wife of an on call police officer and a mother of a 13 and 5 year old boy. Needless to say, busy...like we all are.

I do not and can not wake up early to work out. My body says 'no way.' I have done this in the past, and many times I don't even remember my workout! and, I have hurt myself as well. Not everyone is made to wake early and hit it hard...especially a workout like Cathe. I have worked our for 20 years and never have been a morning exerciser. I love to work out at say 10 am or so...but that only happens on the weekend IF we aren't carting our kids all over!

So...I do workout when I get home, before supper. I have no choice. I get in the door, kiss my boys and my hubby and down to the work out room I go. it is my time and I almost demand it! Plus, life is better at home when I get my workout in. However, my hubby is a huge help and our chores etc. are 50/50. I am very blessed with that.

I do have to say though, my weekends are for a hard, long workout. So usually on Sat and Sun. I really go...then if I can get 3 days in during the week that is great...but many times it is only 2 other weekdays for a total of 4. I can't stress about that...it is what it is.

I think that you can split your workouts if you have a high intensity. I will even do core work if I get a chance to watch TV at night before bed! EAch commercial break is upper or lower or obliques for the entire show. that way if I had to shorten it up or miss my core...I can catch it later.

Anyway...I just wanted to mention that I do not and cannot work out early. Ever. My body says no even if my schedule says yes! Oh, and every once in awhile I work out on my lunch break...but I don't like to do that. You are doing fine! Even a little is fine...several times a day; just make it intense! Good Luck!

I just have to chime in! I am a VP for a large bank and have a stressful job...as many of us do! I am also a wife of an on call police officer and a mother of a 13 and 5 year old boy. Needless to say, busy...like we all are.

I do not and can not wake up early to work out. My body says 'no way.' I have done this in the past, and many times I don't even remember my workout! and, I have hurt myself as well. Not everyone is made to wake early and hit it hard...especially a workout like Cathe. I have worked our for 20 years and never have been a morning exerciser. I love to work out at say 10 am or so...but that only happens on the weekend IF we aren't carting our kids all over!

So...I do workout when I get home, before supper. I have no choice. I get in the door, kiss my boys and my hubby and down to the work out room I go. it is my time and I almost demand it! Plus, life is better at home when I get my workout in. However, my hubby is a huge help and our chores etc. are 50/50. I am very blessed with that.

I do have to say though, my weekends are for a hard, long workout. So usually on Sat and Sun. I really go...then if I can get 3 days in during the week that is great...but many times it is only 2 other weekdays for a total of 4. I can't stress about that...it is what it is.

I think that you can split your workouts if you have a high intensity. I will even do core work if I get a chance to watch TV at night before bed! EAch commercial break is upper or lower or obliques for the entire show. that way if I had to shorten it up or miss my core...I can catch it later.

Anyway...I just wanted to mention that I do not and cannot work out early. Ever. My body says no even if my schedule says yes! Oh, and every once in awhile I work out on my lunch break...but I don't like to do that. You are doing fine! Even a little is fine...several times a day; just make it intense! Good Luck!

I w/o in the evenings too between 8-9 most nights and on weekends during my DS afternoon nap. He turns 3 in July so still taking naps. I work full time and I'm up at 6am. Last year for a couple of months I got up at 5am but I'm not a morning person and I found I was falling asleep driving to work (mainly from sitting in traffic for 45min.);( Also each night I was worried/stressed about falling to sleep at a decent time to wake up early. My DH puts our son to bed and I wait about 10min. to make sure he is asleep so any noise doesn't keep him up. I find that after working all day and then playing with my son and then my 1hr w/o I don't have any trouble falling asleep between 10-11. If anything I struggle to stay awake to watch t.v.

I'm hoping I don't have to switch to a.m. w/o's but I'm worried once DS gets older and he is in more activities after school whether or not I'll have the time/energy to w/o later.

Sorry I can't respond to your other question about splitting up your w/o's. I've heard the same thing that the accumulation of actvities is effective.

HTH

So Moms are the only busy people who have a hard time squeezing in workouts? :eek:

I get my buns up between 4:30 and 5:00 to get my workouts in. It's hard but once you get used to it you will be delighted to realize that the rest of your day is "free" to deal with whatever it is busy people (kids or no kids) deal with. Good luck!

I recall being single w/no kids and being so busy somedays I would
workout at 9:00pm.

I have two children, 2 years and 9 months. I work out at the gym
across from my office. The gym is located in a Holiday Inn.
I work out everyday at lunch from 2-3pm. I use Cathe now on the weekends. Life changes but I guess we roll with it.

This is a great post.

Hi Kate!!! I was so happy to see you are going on the roadtrip!!!!
I wish I was too. Good for you!!!!!

Take Care Ladies,
Suzanne

Jennifer Claire 12/24/2005
Taylor Elizabeth 08/22/2007

I also cannot get up and workout in the morning. I have tried and the only thing I've been able to do is run (outside, when it is warm). I do get up around 5 to go to work early. My DH drops off the kids at school and I pick up, take them to their activities, then we all meet up at dinnertime.

I workout in the evening and usually am able to do something 6 days a week (Friday is my rest night).

I have three kids (they are now 11,11,9) but have been following this routine since the youngest was about 4. I used to put them to bed and then workout about 8 pm. That has changed as they get older. Now I can actually tell them to get ready for bed and read a book unti 9 and then turn out their lights so I can go workout AND they actually do it! I sneak in for a kiss after my workout. DH helps get them to bed too if needed.

The other thing we do is for family exercise. When the weather is nice we all walk together (Friday evenings and Sat/Sun too) and do some family 5K's. We also do martial arts together to get more workouts in.

Hope this helps!

Just so I'm clear to those of you who are not mom's and may have been offended by my question. No I don't feel that mom's are the only people who are busy but I clearly remember when I was single and I had free time I would be able to devote that time to myself, exercising, shopping, reading, whatever. When you are a parent however, after work, the rest of my free time is spent with my children. My son who is autistic although he is very intelligent requires additional help with academics and behavior. My daughter who is very typical enjoys our little tea parties and arts and crafts. We all have house hold chores and work to go to with or without children but when you have children free time is usually devoted to them. A good example is waking up to make lunch. If it was just me I'd just make my lunch but with my family I make 4 lunches and making 4 lunches and doing laundry for a family takes up a heck of a lot more time than for one. I know that as mom's we need to take time for ourselves, but I do have a hard time not feeling like I'm selfish to do things for me.

Thanks Becky. I'm happy to hear that you are able to find the time. I too am very blessed with a husband who supports me and is very helpful around the house, he will get the kids clean and dressed for bed while I'm working out at night. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who works out during commercials. I do pushups. By the way I did try to wake up at 5 am today, and although my good intentions were there, I got one leg out of bed the rest of my body protested vehemently. Body 1 mind 0. Thanks for the support and encouragement. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.