Question for Kathryn or Any Other Cat Owner

carres1973

Cathlete
I have three cats - one older, and two "babies" I adopted from the shelter a year ago. I am having an issue with one of the younger cats, Ginger (a male). His urine doesn't clump with the clumping litter. It looks like it is clumped when you look in the box. However, when I go to scoop it, it just falls apart into "uriny bits." Also, his urine is VERY strong. The non-clumping and strong odor, I think, is what is causing my young female cat (Rascal) to poop outside the box. I wouldn't want to go in there either!!

Has anyone ever experienced non-clumping urine with clumping cat litter?

Carrie

My big boy Spot drinks a lot so he makes big puddles that take a while to clump.
Some times they don't . Kind of a mess to scoop.
I have two boxes side by side so when one is recently used the other cats have a fresh choice.

I did a while ago, and I'm not sure if it was the litter, or the food they were eating that was making their urine different somehow. I mentioned it to the vet, and she said she hadn't heard of it before.

They changed foods and litter, and now I don't have the problem.

Maybe there is something off with his urinary PH (but I'm not a vet, just going by guess!). Save some of the non-clumpy urine and take it to the vet to get tested.

And are you sure it's the younger cat who is having the problem? Maybe it's the older one. Maybe something like the urine is getting concentrated because he's dehydrated for some reason. (check for dehydration by 'tenting' the skin on the back of the neck and letting go and seeing how quickly it goes back down. A fully-hydrated cat should have the skin almost snap back. If it kind of slowly goes down, that is a sign of dehydration. If that's the case, someone might be having kidney issues and/or need to have subQ fluids. But definitely take it up with a vet, just to make sure. It could be absolutely nothing, or something. Best to check it out to make sure).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.