question for hairdresses

drover

Cathlete
i am always on the lookout for good hair stuff. i am 54 and of course, my hair is not as strong and shiny as it used to be.

i have always heard that pantene is bad for your hair. what do ya'll know about it? i have read and heard that most of the shampoo at stores are not good. so, i usually buy the expensive stuff, but it would be good to know what is really true. so, any ideas?

If Pantene were so awesome, we'd use it in salons. It's really heavy and waxy, which is really what's worst about it.

I don't think that you necessarily have to get super expensive stuff to work.

For curly hair, I like DevaCurl products. For fine hair, Matrix Vavoom or Biolage is decent. Matrix Biolage also has a strengthening line, which might be good for you. Unless your hair is really greasy or fine, don't shampoo every day. I think that a once weekly deep conditioner is good, too. Keep in mind that nothing will "repair" your hair, but conditioners can protect against further damage, and make hair look less damaged. My absolute favorite products are by Alterna, but they are really expensive, and I also like the Deva line for brunettes, called Chocolate Lust.

A lot of people want to stick with "natural" products, and the Giovanni line at Target and Whole Foods isn't bad. A lot of "natural" styling products are very, very heavy though. I've had several clients who used lots of natural pomades and whatnot and I'd have to clarify shampoo their hair at least 3X to get out all the gunk. You can't have gunky hair when you cut it because it catches on combs and shears and gives an uneven haircut.

Some people are on a baking-soda only rinse kick. Baking soda can alkalize your hair, which will make it fray. If you choose to go this route, then you really need to do the cider-vinegar rinse to bring it to a more acidic level, which smooths down the cuticle.

Also--ionic blow dryers do make a big difference, but try not to blow-dry, curl, flat-iron your hair every day. If you color your hair, try to stick with demi-permanent color which is more gentle.

For people with super fine, overly silky hair, I suggest wetting your hair, conditioning it, rinsing, and then shampooing. My hair is thick, but it is naturally very silky and straight, kind of like Asian hair, and this is the only way that I can keep my hair from falling in my face and slipping out of barrettes, etc.

My DH has been using Aveeno's new line of shampoos and conditioners and I have actually noticed that his hair looks thicker and shinier. He is 60 and his hair was thinning. Now it looks full and thick--much healthier. A friend just bought Aveeno so I will get some feedback from her also. I am not a hairdresser but on my salon's recommendation I buy Artec products and have for years. No matter what else I try I always go back to this line. My hair is fine and straight.

I don't work in a salon, but just wanted to chime in to agree that the DevaCurl line is great for curly hair. It's a little confusing, because they have both the DevaCurl and the DevaCare line. The only difference I can discern is that the DevaCare line smells much better (the DevaCurl stuff actually smells bad, IMHO). Otherwise, the products appear to be the same.

I don't think that you necessarily have to get super expensive stuff to work.

For curly hair, I like DevaCurl products. For fine hair, Matrix Vavoom or Biolage is decent. Matrix Biolage also has a strengthening line, which might be good for you. Unless your hair is really greasy or fine, don't shampoo every day. I think that a once weekly deep conditioner is good, too. Keep in mind that nothing will "repair" your hair, but conditioners can protect against further damage, and make hair look less damaged. My absolute favorite products are by Alterna, but they are really expensive, and I also like the Deva line for brunettes, called Chocolate Lust.

Also--ionic blow dryers do make a big difference, but try not to blow-dry, curl, flat-iron your hair every day. If you color your hair, try to stick with demi-permanent color which is more gentle.

For people with super fine, overly silky hair, I suggest wetting your hair, conditioning it, rinsing, and then shampooing. My hair is thick, but it is naturally very silky and straight, kind of like Asian hair, and this is the only way that I can keep my hair from falling in my face and slipping out of barrettes, etc.

Oooh, . GMonkey! This is sooo helpful. I have super straight asian hair do you reccomend conditioning every day? I know that deep condition is different, . .or is it? What kind of shampoo do you use? When you say ionic blow dryers there are so many on the market can you reccomend an affordable one. I'm not really a big hair person, . . mostly just pony tails BUT I just cut the heck out of it (donated 10" to Locks of Love) so now I have a super short layered bob. Why is it when I go to the salon my hair always seems so much more healthy? I'd be greatful for any advice.

I have noticed the Frederik Fekkai Protein line (shampoo, conditioner and the leave in spray) have helped the appearance of my hair. It was looking very dry and unhealthy, but this has helped improve all of that. Not cheap, but I don't care if it helps. I agree that washing your hair less is probably one of the best things you can do, and of course the less blow drying and hot tools you can use, the better.

thanks everyone!
gmonkey, i have long, very straight, fine hair. no curl at all. i do not glow dry or use any kind of heat on my hair. i work outside , in s. texas. very hot. so, i sweat alot. i don't like to wash my hair every day, cuz i'm afraid it will dry it out too bad. sometimes, i just rinse it w/some conditioner without shampoo, just to get the sweat out.
ok, well, then pantene is definitely out. i've been using l'oreal everpure for a while and i like it, but i am gonna try some of the ones ya'll have suggested. i used to have oily hair when i was young, but not anymore. i use henna cream to color, cuz the regular colr was killin my hair, but the henna really makes it look good.

dela, where do you get the Fekkai line?

and, phyllis, i have always wanted to try aveeno, don't know why i never have, but i will.

You can order it online at drugstore.com or sephora.com, they also carry at Bath and Body works, and some department stores like Lord and Taylor, and either Nordstrom's or Neimans Marcus.

thanks dela! do you get a specific kind? i have thin hair, so i always lke to get one that builds volume. not sure if they really work, but makes me think so. :)

Oooh, . GMonkey! This is sooo helpful. I have super straight asian hair do you reccomend conditioning every day? I know that deep condition is different, . .or is it? What kind of shampoo do you use? When you say ionic blow dryers there are so many on the market can you reccomend an affordable one. I'm not really a big hair person, . . mostly just pony tails BUT I just cut the heck out of it (donated 10" to Locks of Love) so now I have a super short layered bob. Why is it when I go to the salon my hair always seems so much more healthy? I'd be greatful for any advice.

What she said! I have the same straight, fine hair that tangles up even in a ponytail! I'm going to try that suggestion of conditioning first then shampooing. And I also like the Giovanni line!

Well, I condition-then-shampoo every other day, and then once per week, I shampoo then deep condition. A deep conditioner is going to be more intensive and will help to protect and moisturize the hair. It's usually thicker. Right now, I'm using a crazy mix of products because I used to be a salon product distributor rep and I have a ton left. I'm using New York Streets, DevaCare Chocolate Lust, and Shimmer Lights. The deep conditioner is Framesi Biogenol. I switch them up since I have so many, but I don't think that it's necessary to use so many different ones. If you use a color-enhancing shampoo, you definitely want to alternate, though.

I bought my bio-ionic blow dryer from the distributor, so I got it for wholesale. I think it retails for $185. Sally Beauty Supply has lots of professional blow dryers. I suggest looking for one which is ionic, highest wattage available for the lightest weight and in your price range. Jilbere isn't bad. I think that brand is in the $30-80 range.

Salon product prices are usually double the wholesale price. There are ways you may be able to get a deal on them if you make nice with your stylist. If your stylist is the salon owner, or you go to an Ulta--forget it. If you are early for all appts, give minimum 24 hours notice for cancellations, tip well, tip the assistant, send your friends to her, then ask her if she would be open to picking you up a product from the professional beauty supply--which is better than Sally's. Offer her 25-30% over wholesale for her trouble. She is probably only getting 10% at most on commission at the salon. If the distributor is either really far away, or if she's super busy, it's probably not worth her time.

Your hair is going to look extra great at the salon because they take more time in thoroughly shampooing and conditioning your hair. They are also usually using better products, and they are very thoroughly rinsing it. Also, notice that when they towel-dry your hair, they usually just squeeze the water out, they don't rub your head with the towel. When they blow-dry, they point the nozzle down the hair shaft, rather than up the shaft. Also, you just had a bunch of fried ends cut off.

Be careful with pony tails. Elastics and pulling your hair back can really break a lot off, too.

That was awesome of you to donate your hair! I'm sure a person who needs it will look great in it!

I have noticed the Frederik Fekkai Protein line (shampoo, conditioner and the leave in spray) have helped the appearance of my hair. It was looking very dry and unhealthy, but this has helped improve all of that. Not cheap, but I don't care if it helps. I agree that washing your hair less is probably one of the best things you can do, and of course the less blow drying and hot tools you can use, the better.

The Fekkai people used to come to our salon for training. A lot of their products are awesome! Just be careful with the protein stuff. Too much protein can actually cause breakage by making the hair brittle, and by making thicker parts along the strand which is a fulcrum for the thinner part of the strand to break upon itself.

Gmonkey, thanks for all those tips!

I have thick, course hair and if I don't take care of it, lots of dandruff too. So, I use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree, Redken's All Soft, and when I do style it, I use Graham Webb's "Heat Response" Thermal Soft Finish Spray. They seem to work well. I hate H&S, SB, Pert, Tgel. They either make my hair too greasy or too dry.

Gmonkey, thanks for all the great information! I do have a question about your saying not to wash your hair too often. I have always washed mine 4-5 times a week after a workout but maybe I should just be rinsing? What do you do after you've worked out and your hair is sweaty?

Deva products for some reason haven't worked for me, they make my hair frizzy & dry, but they do work well for a lot of curlies. But I second Biolage, I love that stuff, & it smells nice.

Anyway, my info comes from serious hair trauma a few years ago (an ill advised straightener), & I did quite a bit of research in an effort to keep my hair healthy so it'd grow back faster. Mostly what I found was to avoid shampoos w/sulfates, conditioners & styling products w/silicones (on a side note, I used to love Fekkai, then I found all their products had cones :confused:), heat to the extent possible (flatirons are evil! Evil I tell you!), & all forms of brushes & combs.

I only shampoo once a week, but I do condition every day. And, like GMonkey recommends, I deep condition once a week with a heat cap. My favorite product line is Bumble & Bumble. I cannot get enough of B&B. I know Paula says more expensive lines are the same as less expensive, but B&Bs products do seem to reduce frizz & dryness. Currently in the shower is B&B's creme de coco, & their brilliantine, sumo wax & prep spray is on my dressing table. :)

Gmonkey, thanks for all those tips!

I have thick, course hair and if I don't take care of it, lots of dandruff too. So, I use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree, Redken's All Soft, and when I do style it, I use Graham Webb's "Heat Response" Thermal Soft Finish Spray. They seem to work well. I hate H&S, SB, Pert, Tgel. They either make my hair too greasy or too dry.

Have you seen a dermatologist about dandruff? Sometimes their solutions are better than the ones we come up with. Good call on staying away from Selsun Blue. It's so filled with selenium that I'm convinced that it gave my step-dad Parkinson's. With all the products I had access to, the only thing that works for DH for his dandruff is H&S for dry scalp.

Gmonkey, thanks for all the great information! I do have a question about your saying not to wash your hair too often. I have always washed mine 4-5 times a week after a workout but maybe I should just be rinsing? What do you do after you've worked out and your hair is sweaty?

Shampooing is good to remove excess oils, dirt, styling products. Sweat is water soluble and will rinse out with just water. How often you shampoo is also relative to your hair type. Some people with really fine and greasy hair really do need to shampoo every day. The less you can shampoo, generally the better, but I've noticed that people really should do it at least 1-2X per week. If your hair isn't too fine, you could rinse and condition.

Deva products for some reason haven't worked for me, they make my hair frizzy & dry, but they do work well for a lot of curlies. But I second Biolage, I love that stuff, & it smells nice.

Anyway, my info comes from serious hair trauma a few years ago (an ill advised straightener), & I did quite a bit of research in an effort to keep my hair healthy so it'd grow back faster. Mostly what I found was to avoid shampoos w/sulfates, conditioners & styling products w/silicones (on a side note, I used to love Fekkai, then I found all their products had cones :confused:), heat to the extent possible (flatirons are evil! Evil I tell you!), & all forms of brushes & combs.

I only shampoo once a week, but I do condition every day. And, like GMonkey recommends, I deep condition once a week with a heat cap. My favorite product line is Bumble & Bumble. I cannot get enough of B&B. I know Paula says more expensive lines are the same as less expensive, but B&Bs products do seem to reduce frizz & dryness. Currently in the shower is B&B's creme de coco, & their brilliantine, sumo wax & prep spray is on my dressing table. :)

I must say that I loooooooooove B&B. Prep, Tonic, Sumotech, Does it All Spray are my absolute favorites! I just really don't have the opportunity to get it. B&B isn't available at a professional beauty supply, they are a direct supplier to salons. Since I'm a licensed stylist, and can buy other professional products at wholesale prices, I just can't bring myself to pay retail for B&B. I have a friend who works for a B&B salon, but she's way too busy to get me products on the cheap, and I actually don't have a regular stylist because I'm friends with so many in Philly, that I try to alternate between all of them, and then I do all of my own color and some trims....so I can't ask someone I see once per year to get them for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.