Question for blood donors

darli ann

Cathlete
I was scheduled to donate blood today but the Red Cross rejected me because my iron is too low. I was disappointed because I've been eating iron-rich foods for the past few days but it wasn't enough. Thought I'd ask if anyone here has this problem and what the answer is to get that iron count up? I'm lazy about taking my vitamins - is that the problem? For some reason it just seems important to me to be able to give blood. x(

Some people are naturally anemic, and no matter how healthy they eat, they still need a supplement. If you've had this problem for a while, you could try a multivitamin and see if it helps - it did for me. You just have to make up your mind and do it.

Some women also have low iron around "that time of the month" so you might want to check your calendar. ;)

I had same prob. I took Hematinic Iron from Solgar- just half the dose since I do take a multi w/ iron. My levels increased at the end of the bottle, about a month. I think you have to do more than eat iron rich foods for a few days before your blood levels increase, though I am all for spinach smoothies for breakfast. ;)
The Solgar product had iron that is easy to assimilate as well as B's and probably C since that helps w/ absorption. Also, calcium interferes w/ absorption of iron so avoid dairy or cal supplements at same time as your iron.
While too much iron isn't good for you, getting your levels up a bit may help you to feel more energetic and think more clearly, so there is a little motivation.
As for me, I donate blood for the little gift certificates my center gives away to Olive Garden or Home Depot. Plus I like the cholesterol screening. So much for being altruistic.

I worked for a blood center in MI and am a phlebotomist...so here is what I know... about a week before TTOM your iron drops....I found alot of donors were fine while ttom but the week before it was lower than the high number we required. Another thing is sometimes the test can be misread by a nurse. So you may ask to double check...another is if the nurse feels that you are alittle under the weather even tho you say your are not or if you haven't eaten that day etc low iron is an easy way to say not today for donation without putting you out for very long and saving an unpleasant experience...They like for you to have a good experience and if they defer you once they still have a life long donor...if you have a bad experience they may have lost you...Also know that being female is harder to keep up the level they require for blood donation...the level is very high....keep trying and if you are denied many times then have a doctor help you out in getting it up.. hth duck

I take iron tablets (65 mg) daily plus whatever is in my daily woman's vitamin. I hate getting rejected. I take it personally, LOL. Boy Jody, I wanna donate where you do. All we get are stale cookies.

I am a platelet donor and I donate every two weeks. Here is what I have learned over the 3 1/2 years that I've been going (after being rejected for low iron my share of times). If you are rejected for low iron, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are low, they have a higher requirement than just 'normal' since you will have a little less blood once done. I have tried: raisins, dark green leafy veggies, red wine, a big steak the night before but the best thing that works is Total Cereal. It is 100% of your daily iron requirement so I would eat a bowl for dinner the night before, and then a bowl for breakfast and one for lunch the day of my donation. This was nearly a 100% cure. However, none of these was a guarantee - time of the month definitely affected me but going every 2 weeks didn't leave me a lot of rescheduling options. So, now I take an iron tablet the day before and the day of my donation and that works like a charm. My iron is not really 'low' just low for their standards... Another thing to note is that when they take the sample out of your finger, make sure that they squeeze out some blood before taking the sample.

Sorry to be so long, but I hope this might help you - it always bummed me out when I was rejected :(

I tried to post a reply last night but my computer ate it! x(

Not much to add other than that I agree with everyone about adding a good quality iron supplement to your diet in general, if not just for donating blood or blood products.

Plus I wanted to whine that I donated yesterday and only got a t-shirt ;-) . Jody's place sounds better since they give out restaurant certificates!

But I did enjoy eating Oreos at 9:30 in the morning.

Also wanted to add that I was pleased yesterday with my ability to finish donating without vein collapse or too slow bleeding which have been problems for me in the past. So, thanks Cathe for my bigger, bulgier, weight hoisting veins! :p

Make sure that you have something high in vitamin C--like an orange or other fruit-- when you take in iron, as it increases assimilation of iron by quite a bit.

Other ways to increase iron absorption:
Cook in cast-iron pots (cooking acidic foods, like tomatoes--think chili and tomato sauces, works especially well, as more iron is transfered into the food from the pot: is that the reason why tomato sauce left in a cast-iron pot overnight will turn dark?).

Things that interfere with iron absorption:
Tannic acid (found in teas: green or black). Don't drink tea with meals.

Milk and milk products. A glass of milk, or equivalent serving of cheese, will reduce by 1/2 the amount of iron your body absorbs from food it's taken with.

Oxalic acid (found in spinach, rhubarb, beet greens and chocolate).

Phytic acid: found in whole grains. The ones that interfere most with absorption are those in raw foods, like wheat bran (the worst offender).

(I didn't remember this off the top of my head, except for the oxalic acid and vitamin C, but referenced "Becoming Vegetarian.")

IMO, It's best to get your iron from your diet if possible, and not from a supplement (which can lead to too much iron). I suggest first seeing if you have eating habits that interfere with the absorption of iron (do you put wheat bran and milk on your cereal in the morning and drink a cup of tea? is a lunch of spinach salad accompanied by a chocolat dessert and a cup of tea?) or that avoid things that could help with absorption (do you not eat fruits?), changing those, then getting your blood tested to see if you need a supplement. If you make the changes (which doesn't mean avoiding the foods that impede absorption, but paying attention to their timing--with tea, for example--and making sure you also promote absorption)AND add a supplement, you might actually start to get too much iron, which is in some ways much worse than being a bit low.

HTH!

Don't do it! I donated even though I was underweight at the time.

My iron was low and the very irresponsible person who screened me permitted me to donate.

I noticed it took a very long time to give a bag of blood. I was there forever.

I ate the snack and went home, feeling fine.

I collapsed in the driveway and missed 1 week of work. All I could do was crawl to the bathroom and back.

I should have seen a doctor, but I did not until 2 months later when I was hospitalized.

They said my body had been thrown into acute anemia and that I should never donate.

I took my name off the donor list.

Don't jeopardize your health for the donation. There are other ways you can help and still feel as though you are doing something for your fellow citizens.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.